Lab work after almost 10 months using the vitamin patchmore than

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 12/19/15 11:55 am - OH

I have now been on the PatchMD Multivitamin patch for over 9 months.  I had my full labs done in July and my B12 was the only thing that was really a problem. My PCP just repeated the major vitamin lab work (we were both especially concerned about my calcium, Vit D, and PTH since my last 2 DEXA scans have shown some bone loss in one hip despite taking 2000mg of calcium citrate a day).

I am happy to report that my B12 is up where it should be (I added a weekly dose of sublingual B12 (5000mcg) in July and have always been supplementing the patch with a weekly dose of Vit D (50,000) and extra daily iron in order to get the same doses I was taking before I switched to the patch).  Everything else is almost exactly the same as it was back in July.

Moreover, since switching to the patch, my calcium levels are the same with just the 1500mg of calcium in the patch as they were when I was taking 2000mg of calcium citrate orally.  Since I have had issues with kidney stones, I was hesitant about the calcium carbonate (which is known to contribute to kidney stones, whereas calcium citrate does not), but I have not had any stones.

People can argue what they think they know about the science behind the patches, but after more than 9 months on them and lab values that are all in the middle to upper lab ranges, I am very happy with them.  Mostly, I am happy that I no longer have to take vitamins 5 times a day!  Taking vitamins at least 4 times a day seemed like a small price to pay for losing the weight, but after the first 6 years, it became a PITA, so I am thrilled that the patches are working well.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

crazy4birds
on 12/19/15 12:16 pm
RNY on 12/02/14

I just went to my first yearly check up.  I have been on the patches for about 6 months.  The doctor said my labs were excellent.  I usually wear the patch, chew an extra calcium 500 from Bariatric Advantage and take one Centrum silver daily since sometimes I forget to put the patch on.  I am glad these are working for you as well.  Denise

Laura in Texas
on 12/19/15 2:51 pm

Thanks for the update. I'm glad they are working so well for you. I'm not ready to make the switch yet, but may in the future.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

cabin111
on 12/19/15 4:28 pm

Since we are somewhat guinea pigs, I do a few things that normal or even RNY patients may thing strange.  I try and eat the color of the rainbow in my fruits and vegetables.  I will nibble on a B-Complex pill throughout the day.  I put on a Vitamin K cream on my face...Even put a dab (small dab) on my tongue.  Yeah, I want nice skin...But it's the Vitamin K that I want to make sure is in my system.  I try to be sure to get my direct sunlight in each day...Will take off my shirt and roll up my pants.  No, I'm not spending hours in the sun...But I want and need my Vitamin D.  And yes, I am aware of the problem with skin cancer...I don't go nuts...Just try and find a balance.  The first two-three years (even now) I will have a spoonful of Wendy's Chili for breakfast.  Want to make sure my protein, fiber, iron, Vitamin C is in me during the day...If I get busy.  All labs are good so far.  What someone thinks strange may work perfectly fine...Run with it!!  Brian

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 12/30/15 5:36 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

Just make sure you get your sunscreen and you should be just fine! :)

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Grim_Traveller
on 12/19/15 7:17 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

I had my yearly labs done right before Thanksgiving, so I have those as a baseline. I started using the patch the next day. I'm adding B12 once a week, extra D3 and iron every day.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 12/22/15 2:06 pm - OH

Hope you have the same success I seem to be having with them. It is SO nice not to have to take calcium 5 times a day!!

RNY0615
on 12/20/15 6:32 am, edited 12/19/15 10:32 pm

Great news!  I've been on the patch since post-op about 6 months ago.  I know it hasn't been long enough to show deficiencies,  but I have had labs drawn because of neuropathy and my levels are great so far.  

Question for you, though.  Which patches do you use?  I use the multi and b12. It sounds like you may use the calcium as well?  

Here's what I do,  and I sort of just do it on my own because my doc doesn't know anything about the patches and is letting me experiment.  

Patches daily: multi and b12

Ferocon daily (oral iron plus multi)

Citracal petite plus D- 1 daily

And my acid reducer

Does that seem similar/sufficient to you? 

My 6 month follow up is tomorrow,  but like I said,  my doc hasn't given me much guidance.  He said I need a good multi,  calcium citrate,  and a b complex as well as iron,  but because he's never had a patient do the patch,  he doesn't know what to tell me about them. 

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 12/22/15 6:16 pm - OH

I just use the multivitamin.  I use a sublingual 5000mcg B12  (an entire YEAR'S worth costs me only $12-$15!) and a 50,000 unit D3 pill once a week.

Iron needs vary WIDELY, so I wouldn't even venture to guess what you need.  You will know, though, once you get your 6 months labs.  Most of us have to adjust intake eitehr at the 6-month or 12-month point.

I have never needed a B-complex (what is in the multi's has been enough), but some do and some don't.  Let your labs be your guide!

Sherrie P.
on 12/21/15 6:25 pm
RNY on 02/06/13

I am almost 3 years out.

I had full labs drawn in August and have been "patching" ever since. I LOVE IT. 

I will have the full labs done again at the 6 month mark to compare. I feel like I am far enough out for it to matter ... so fingers crossed. I hate swallowing pills, I am not on any meds - so the patch is awesome.

Thanks for sharing!!!!

Revision Lapband to RNY 2-6-2013   HW: 286  Pre-Op Diet: 277  Surgery Day: 265  Goal: 155  CW: 155

Plastic surgery 8/28/2014: Brachioplasty, mastopexy, & abdominoplasty.

Plastic surgery 1/27/2015: Butt Lift

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 468 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 449 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 304 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 17 replies · 324 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 122 views