Plateaus

Ktscarltt413
on 1/12/16 5:21 am
RNY on 11/11/15

How do we break plateaus? I'm only 9 weeks out but I have been stuck this weight for 3 weeks. I thought we were suppose to loose about 2 pounds per week. I do not want to waste this first year.

rocky513
on 1/12/16 5:30 am - WI

Whoever told you you would lose weight every week lied to you.  We lose weight in a stair-step fashion.  We lose a bunch, stay the same for a time, then lose another bunch.  Some times the "stair tread" lasts for a month.  Sometimes it's just for a week.  When the scale stays the same it doesn't mean that we are not losing fat, it means that our weight is the same.  Weight can be lots of things ( fluid retention or poop).  Get your tape measure out and measure your body at different points.  That is a better way to measure your progress than the scale. Hide the scale if it makes you anxious.  

If you just keep diligently following your plan, the weight will come off.

HW 270 SW 236 GW 160 CW 145 (15 pounds below goal!)

VBG Aug. 7, 1986, Revised to RNY Nov. 18, 2010

Ktscarltt413
on 1/12/16 5:42 am
RNY on 11/11/15

Thank you for the encouragement. I will tape my measurements on the bathroom mirror instead (30" lost) looks better anyway.

H.A.L.A B.
on 1/12/16 5:57 am

Make sure you are not constipated... 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

lking
on 1/12/16 5:58 am - Indianapolis, IN
RNY on 12/04/15

I was just 4 days after surgery when my plateau began.  It lasted 2 1/2 weeks.  So many people said it occurred early because I had lost a lot of weight during the 4 months before surgery and this was my body's way of catching up.  I had lost 40lbs during those 4 pre-op months.

The days went by but still that stall hung on.  However, I was losing fat during this time.  My clothes became baggy so I moved to a smaller sizes.  Then I discovered that my wedding rings now fit, as did a beautiful necklace that belonged to my mother. I never was able to wear the necklace because of my too fat neck.  This was all happening during my full liquid phase.

Two and a half weeks after surgery I moved to the soft food stage.  As happens naturally in this stage, my daily protein and calorie intake slightly increased.  I also increased my water intake. After the first couple of days the scale moved very slightly downward.  The first two days it was a 1/4 each, the third day there was a 1/2 pound movement, then the fourth day a full pound.  I cautiously declared my stall was over...until the next one.

I am now 5 1/2 weeks out from surgery.  I seem to have fairly good losses when I have an increase in my daily protein, water, and slight calorie intake.

67 yrs old, 4'10", BMI 31.8 (51.8 at start), HW 256.4 (8/4/15), SW 217.4, CW 152.8 (4/30/18), GW 125.0, RNY 12/4/15 Dr. RoseMarie Jones, Breast Cancer DX 2/16, Bi-lateral mastectomy 8/9/16.

(deactivated member)
on 1/12/16 6:06 am

One thing you need to do is to look at your NSVs. They make life easier. Watching the scale can be frustrating. You just need to make sure you track and measure your food.

CathyWray
on 1/12/16 1:08 pm - Madison, TN

I will share my experience. I had stalls each and every ten pound mark.  I figured out they were emotional stalls and sometimes I had been at a particular weight for a long time. I recently gave myself the permission to go to the 160's and I haven't been there since 1975.  The 150 mark is when I was date raped  so I am not sure what to expect. I accept it may not happen quickly.  I am 14 pounds from my doctors goal weight for me and this happened every time.  I only lost 3 pounds before surgery but still had stalls.  It is imperative to obey the rules and have faith.  My daughter had RNY also and lost 20 pounds before surgery and had a stall right after surgery like the others speak about. She had surgery 11-16-15 and has lost 63 pounds in total.  In her stalls she used one of the fancy scales and it showed fat loss that did not register on the scale as weight loss.  Have faith. It works. 

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 427 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 404 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 259 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 17 replies · 296 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 114 views
Recent Topics