4 days post op

KLE
on 2/5/16 9:18 am
RNY on 02/01/16

I am really struggling with taking in my protein.  I am getting about 2/3 of needed amount. It is so sticky sweet or another brand taste like a thousand multivitamins and I gag.  I am finally regaining some of my strengths, it's been a long 4 days. Surgery was delayed by 7 hours on Monday, then Tuesday I had dry heaves dispute all the medication they gave me to break the cycle. (The nurses and my husband were absolutely wonderful) Wednesday I felt OK and came home..I might add I have some pretty impressive bruising with all the retching.   I know in the long runs this will be the best decision I have ever made, just struggling.  Any suggestions for protein?  Thanks!!

Deanna798
on 2/5/16 9:33 am
RNY on 08/04/15

It will get better.  Focus on making sure you get your fluids in at this point, the protein will get easier.  I had a really hard time with the sweetness of everything right after surgery and even for a few months. It was like my tastebuds were on overdrive. To get away from that there is a Chicken Soup protein powder form Unjury that I really like, they also make unflavored you can add to savory foods.  They have a sample pack for sale so you can try a few different flavors www.unjury.com

Keep trying on the protein, but really as long as you get your fluids in, the protein will come with time.

Age: 44 | Height: 5' 3" | Starting January 2015: 291 | RNY 8/4/15 with Dr. Arthur Carlin| Goal: 150

Listen to advice and accept discipline, and at the end you will be counted among the wise. ~Proverbs 19:20

Sarafer
on 2/5/16 9:37 am
RNY on 01/14/16

You will likely not be able to get to your protein goal for awhile. I'm 3 weeks post op and struggle because I can't eat that much and I'm more concerned for the moment at staying hydrated. Let me quote my nurse/physician at discharge: "Try to get your protein goal each day, but you will not be able to for awhile."

Is it that you don't like the proteins you have or you physically can't take in enough? Premiere Protein worked for me and I slowly sipped on one for several hours to fini**** 

RNY: 1/14/16    Age: 34   Height: 5'4"  SW: 280

Leah P.
on 2/5/16 10:14 am
with

At first I had a horrible time taking in protein. The powder protein gags me so I started a search, I found lean shake 25 at gnc. They are premade and wonderful. More calories than I prefer but its worth it for me to get my protein in. Its 170 calories and 25 protein for one bottle. Right after my surgery I had a really rough time and almost regretted the decision but now 2 and a half months out I am thrilled. At first everything seems so daunting. Give yourself a break and get your fluids and everything else will fall into place. It does get easier I promise. 

RNY: 11/23/2015

HW:284  SW:280  

"I may not be there yet, but, I'm closer today than I was yesterday."

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 532 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 514 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 396 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 25 replies · 243 views