Iron Infusion Tomorrow

KnittingPoet
on 2/9/16 7:57 pm - Raleigh, NC

Tomorrow is my first appointment with the hematologist. What should I expect?

seattledeb
on 2/9/16 9:15 pm

Lucky you. It's my drug of choice. It's easy and it makes you feel better. IF your iron is real low it may take a few infusions to feel it but when it kicks in it's wonderful.

The actual infusion is pretty simple. Put an IV in and run the infusion. Depending on the brand the doctor ordered it can infuse anywhere from 10 minutes to 6 hours. Some people have reactions so they tend to run them slower in the beginning. I've never had any and require no pre medications. You will have you vital signs taken before and during and they may make you stay awhile after to make sure you don't have reactions. Wear something comfy and bring a book or a charged phone.

Good luck,

Deb

NHPOD9
on 2/10/16 3:34 am

I just recently had 5 infusions over a 2 week period.  Very uneventful.

Try to drink lots of water 24hrs prior to bulk up the veins.  I am a "hard stick" and 1 time out of the 5, they had to select a vein in my hand.  It hurt like the dickens, not only during the infusion, but for 24 hours later.  I couldn't even use that hand to drive home.  But otherwise, it was a nonevent.  

~Jen
RNY, 8/1/2011
HW: 348          SW: 306          CW:-fighting regain
    GW: 140

He who endures, conquers. ~Persius

H.A.L.A B.
on 2/10/16 3:59 am

I'm confused... You have iron infusion or appointment with hema doc? 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

KnittingPoet
on 2/10/16 4:54 am - Raleigh, NC

Honestly, I don't know. When they called and gave me the date, I assumed it was to start the infusions since my primary had done all the bloodwork. It occurred to me the other day that there might be another step before they start the infusions. 

I hope that isn't the case. ?

H.A.L.A B.
on 2/10/16 6:17 am

Ehopefully you have good hema doc and he would order infusions... Not all of them want to do that. Some try to prescribe more iron to take...  

Good luck. Kelp us posted.  

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

supershopper
on 2/10/16 5:16 am

I had the first appt, then the infusion the second time I went in.

they probably should have told you, mine did along with a large bill that I had to pay- :(

HW 305 SW 278 Surgery weight 225 GW 160 LW: 118.8

RNY 12/15/2015,

GB removal 09/2016,

Twisted bowel/hernia repair 08/2017

M1 Dec 2015-13.0, M2-7.0, M3-14.5, M4-9.4, M5-7.1, M6 9.8, M7-7.6 ,M8- 7.6, M-9 5.5, M10-6.4, M11- 2.2, M12 Dec 2016- 5.8

michelle M.
on 2/13/16 6:49 pm - oakdale, PA
RNY on 01/17/13

I HAD AN UPPER BODY LIFT INCLUDING A BRACHIPLASTY.  3 WEEKS LATER MY BLOOD LEVELS WERE AT 7 SO I HAD TO GET A TRANSFUSION AND THEN 6 WEEKS OF IRON INFUSIONS.  I HAD RESTLESS LEGS SO BAD. I HAD VERY LITTLE SLEEP DUE TO THE LOW IRON.  GOOD NEWS IS AFTER 1 BLOOD TRANSFUSION AND 4 WEEKS OF IRON INFUSIONS I WAS ABLE TO FINALLY SLEEP AT NIGHT.  I AM STILL FEELING TIRED AND OFTEN COME HOME AFTER WORK AND TAKE A LONG NAP. BUT GOOD NEWS IS THAT I AM FEELING BETTER.  MY ADVICE IS TO BRING EXTRA CLOTHES BECAUSE IT IS GENERALLY COLD IN THOSE PLACES. MY INFUSIONS TOO ABOUT 1 1/2 HRS. I BROUGHT MY HEAVY HIKING WOOL SOCKS AND BEDROOM SLIPPERS, GLOVES AND HEAVY SWEATSHIRTS.  GOOD LUCK AND YOU WILL ENVENTUALLY FEEL BETTER.

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 487 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 447 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 46 replies · 456 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 401 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 113 views
Forum Search Error & 404