Eat something?

burghblonde
on 3/7/16 3:14 pm
RNY on 05/12/14

Let me start by saying I feel fantastic! At only 5'3 I am finally in a normal weight range (according to BMI, which I hate seeing!) and at 137 pounds and a size 6 (yay!) I am not by any means underweight or "too thin".

So here is where it gets particularly annoying. Lately it seems like I hear (all the time from people)..."You really need to consider eating something!" Seriously??? I do eat. As a matter of fact I am accustomed to eating several small meals throughout the day, because that's how I need to work it with my job. I eat very small amounts of what I want when I want, but I am always on my feet and on the go! I am not starving and no I am not sick! These are people that are aware of what I have been through and knew me before I lost the weight. I would say perhaps they are concerned about my well being but it's always stated with an attitude and in a snide manner.

Anyone else get this kind of feedback? It's really irritating me to no end. Why are people so dam negative???

Never Sell Out On Your Heart 

~ Heather~

Maria27
on 3/7/16 4:07 pm - Chicago, IL
RNY on 03/17/15

Because they're jealous! People start making these comments when they feel insecure about their own weight, which happens when you start weighing less than them or they think you will soon. Don't take them literally, and do what's best for you. If a particular person is being persistent, you could always respond with an equally inappropriate comment about their weight or body.

Height: 5'5" HW: 290 Consultation Weight: 276 SW: 257 CW: 132

Flaxie
on 3/7/16 10:35 pm
RNY on 03/15/16

Exactly!  Well said. I lost 100 lbs with the band and I used to get that constantly. 

White Dove
on 3/7/16 4:14 pm - Warren, OH

After rapid weight loss we tend to get a sunken look.  By year three we fill out again.  Just enjoy looking too skinny.  You worked hard to get there.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

ancaandreea
on 3/7/16 5:00 pm
RNY on 02/23/16

I am no where near where you are with your progress, congrats by the way! I am only 2 weeks post op and started purée today...I can't fit much in my pouch, I had a cottage cheese for breakfast, a laughing cow cheese for snack, maybe 2oz of puréed beef stew at lunch, I couldn't finish the 1/3 cup I packed, which for me as amazing progress...and I get "you know you really shouldn't starve yourself it won't help you and you will get sick" umm yeah thanks for stomping on my parade :/ people suck...

Eggface
on 3/7/16 5:49 pm, edited 3/7/16 9:46 am - Sunny Southern, CA

Some people are genuinely concerned... rapid weight loss and the visual changes of weight loss surgery are dramatic... I think some do think whoa... if they continue at this rate they'll be nothing left... not understanding that the weight loss does slow. So hopefully it's true concern and kindness.

Some... though are "leveling" it's the nasty side of human nature... it happens with weight loss, new jobs (Oh you got a new job but you have to drive really far though), moves (that neighborhood has a lot of crime), even babies (I couldn't do that again)... sometimes when people perceive the status quo changing, their place in your circle (not the skinny friend) they say things like....

"Ohhh you had THAT surgery you'll never get to eat ____ again." "Ohhh you must have a lot of skin" "I knew someone's sister's friend's hairstylist and they gained it all back" or things like "You really need to eat something" "You are getting too skinny now" Sometimes they will even wave foods they know you shouldn't eat in front of you.

You could tell them to stop or say it bothers you but generally it won't change their behavior. 

I usually told the self appointed food police...

"Thanks for your concern about my health... I'm good... got a team of Dr's and dietitians that are happy, I'm happy, but enough about me..."  

Weight Loss Surgery Friendly Recipes & Rambling
www.theworldaccordingtoeggface.com

cabin111
on 3/7/16 10:02 pm

Poor girl...Lost so much weight...She probably has cancer!!

Eggface
on 3/9/16 8:07 am - Sunny Southern, CA

Right... I'd be afraid if I wasn't open (ish) about WLS people would start a GoFundMe page for treatments or start doing 5K's. 

Weight Loss Surgery Friendly Recipes & Rambling
www.theworldaccordingtoeggface.com

G2GAWAY
on 3/7/16 10:40 pm
RNY on 05/16/15

I can relate.  I am by no means at my goal. I would still like to lose 30 pounds and that will only put me in the middle of the "normal" range, but for the last couple of weeks people have been saying that I am getting so thin and should stop losing weight. None of these people know I had surgery. Somehow I managed to keep it a secret from everyone at work, even my bosses. So, when they say something, I reply, that yes, I am thin relative to what I was, but I am by no means at my goal.  I was 25 pounds less than now when I got to my goal before, and did not appear emaciated.  I have explained that I am working out with a trainer and my body is changing and that things will even out. It's flattering that they think I look thin, but it does make it difficult when I feel there is work ahead.  I haven't really noticed that they are saying it in a snide manner, but truly wonder why they think they should tell me what I should weigh. I think they are honestly surprised at how much I have lost and it is very dramatic now that I am buying and wearing new clothes that fit. I don't look sickly in the least. I look and feel better than I have in 20 plus years. I guess I will have to develop a more succinct response that will stop the conversation. 

Enjoy the "compliments" and keep doing what you are doing.  You know your body and that you are doing what you need to do.

Cory

5'7" Starting Weight: 305

Current Weight: 145

Laura in Texas
on 3/8/16 5:10 am

They are not used to seeing you at this weight yet. The comments do eventually stop. Be patient. At 7 years out, I am 4 inches taller than you and weigh about the same. No one tells me I am too thin.

Fight like hell to stay at your goal weight or the comments about your weight start up again. 

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 481 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 441 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 46 replies · 443 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 394 views