Im about to cry...

Roadrage
on 3/17/16 12:20 pm
RNY on 03/23/16

I just need to vent.  I'm suppose to have RNY surgery next Wednesday (03/23) and I'm on day 9 of the liquid only pre-op diet.  It's going great.. the first 3 days were tough, but now I have to force myself to remember to drink 3 shakes a day.  I've lost about 12 pounds so far - Yay!

The problem is that I have a 7 year old and a 10 year old.  The 7 year old had strep throat on Monday/Tuesday.  Tuesday afternoon I started not feeling well, and called my surgeons office.  They told me to go see my GP, get a strep test, and an antibiotic - so I did that yesterday.  My GP said I don't have strep, but I do have an upper respiratory infection (in my head - not my chest), and an ear infection.  She prescribed me a Zpac, and I started that last night.

Today I followed up with my surgeons office, and he's out this week at a conference, but his nurse (who I love) said that I probably won't be able to have surgery next week.  Even if the Zpac clears everything up - they will want me to wait about 4 weeks before having surgery due to the air tube in surgery, anastesia, and possible complications.

Ughghghghghghg.  I get it - I definitely don't want to have any possible complications, but I am SOOO FRUSTRATED.  I think that by being on the liquid diet, my immune system is probably a bit more run down than normal anyway, and the thought of having to start the liquid diet all over again, and postponing this a month is just killing me.  And, i'm afraid I might get another cold / sinus infection the next time.. i always seem to get them.

On top of it.. I have 9 business trips between the end of April & June - so realistically, if this doesn't happen next week, I probably won't be able to reschedule it until July.

I'll update later when I get the final word back from the surgeon.  So so upset right now...

Erin - 5'8''

HW: 260; SW: 237

CW: 164; GW: 145 

RXY Surgery Date: 03.23.16

Pokemom
on 3/17/16 12:21 pm
RNY on 12/29/14

Awful.  Just awful!  Maybe they will still do the surgery!  Push for that!

heather1963
on 3/17/16 12:35 pm

That is awful. Maybe if you tell them you are prone to them they will keep you on a low dose antibiotic and do the surgery anyway.

Roadrage
on 3/17/16 1:08 pm
RNY on 03/23/16

So good news.. the Surgeons office called, and they are going to keep me on the schedule.  I got in at 6am next Wednesday, and they will have anastesia check me out.  If my lungs and head are clear, they will do the surgery.  If not, they will have to postpone (and I totally understand that - I don't want to do this if i'm sick either).

Thanks for the support!

Erin - 5'8''

HW: 260; SW: 237

CW: 164; GW: 145 

RXY Surgery Date: 03.23.16

HFA70
on 3/17/16 1:44 pm

I had a cold the day of my surgery.  No fever, lungs clear, they did the surgery.  I'm sure every surgeon has their own policy, but I would think by next Wednesday you should be clear for it.

Good luck!  Drink lots of warm fluids (that are allowed)

Teio
on 3/17/16 6:10 pm
RNY on 03/23/16

My surgery is also on Wednesday. I've been sick since my pre op appointment, I'm healed now. As long as I'm healthy the surgery will happen! Good luck! You have this. 

MonaLisaSmile
on 3/17/16 4:38 pm - Canada

That's horrible news.   

Try not to get too worked up until you hear the verdict for sure.  If its meant to be.....it will.  I'll keep my fingers crossed for ya !!!

SW- 260    GW- 150    CW -138    Height - 5'5      RNY- St Josephs Hamilton July 17/2015  

Sunqueen15
on 3/17/16 11:09 pm
RNY on 03/21/16

My heart sank when I read your first post! I was given the "OK" in January and my busy surgeon couldn't fit me in until this Monday so I was immediately pissed! Thankfully it did seem to fly by but I would have had it sooner and I still wouldn't wish the wait upon anyone! So happy for you that they're giving it a shot next week. Congrats on the liquid diet as well, I have been struggling for 2 weeks! Im incredibly miserable. Only 3 more days to go.... Good luck to you :-)

Heather P.
on 3/18/16 10:06 am

Oh I panicked when I read your first post!  The thought of postponing when you have already started your pre-op diet would be devastating!  I am so glad you are able to have it on schedule!

Ht 5'7" HW 406, SW 361

RNY 3/28/16

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 354 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 386 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 477 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 395 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?