Multiple previous abdominal surgeries pre WLS

MammaKathy
on 4/20/16 5:16 pm

Has anyone had multiple abdominal surgeries pre WLS? I have had a partial nephrectomy, splenectomy, partial pancreatectomy, hysterectomy and multiple laprascopies. I am half way through the 6 month process, and I had my EGD last week. Doc said my stomach is very malformed, and worried I might not be able to do the surgery. I had wanted a VSG, but may end up with a RNY. She might not even be able to do it.

Has anyone had problems with surgery from adhesions from other surgeries?

Also what kind of complications have you all had with the RNY?

Thank you!

NYMom222
on 4/20/16 6:55 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

I had gall bladder, c-section (not bikini cut), and hysterectomy. Doc said I had a lot of scar tissue when they went in, so it took a little longer. But overall no problems. I did have RNY.

Having gone to many support groups and have friends with VSG, I don't see how we eat or live our post-op life as all that different.

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

MammaKathy
on 4/20/16 7:21 pm

Thank you for the reply and encouragement. :)

(deactivated member)
on 4/20/16 7:29 pm
RNY on 03/15/16

I had appendicitis, hernia, 3 c-sects, and a hysterectomy.  My doc mentioned that there would be alot of scar tissue, but never said he couldn't do it.  He just worked around it, and did not go in through my belly button. I have 5 small incisions (about 3/4 inch) and 1 larger one on the left side (maybe 1.5 inches). I had the RNY. 

You should be fine.  Best of luck!

Susan RNY 3/15/16  SW293  CW253

crazy4birds
on 4/20/16 11:12 pm
RNY on 12/02/14

I had 3 c sections, hysterectomy, gall bladder and hernia surgeries.  I was going to have a VSG and the doc never said he couldn't do that.  He just recommended a RNY due to GERD and a hiatal hernia.  After the surgery he never mentioned any problems.  

crazy4birds
on 4/20/16 11:13 pm
RNY on 12/02/14

I had 3 c sections, hysterectomy, gall bladder and hernia surgeries.  I was going to have a VSG and the doc never said he couldn't do that.  He just recommended a RNY due to GERD and a hiatal hernia.  After the surgery he never mentioned any problems.  

pr31
on 4/21/16 4:32 am

I'm scheduled for RNY on June 3 and hoping all goes well.  I've had 2 open bladder surgeries, total hysterectomy (bikini cut) and laproscopic gallbladder surgery.  My surgeon has discussed the possibility of major adhesions but is pretty confident that he can work around it.  He said the surgery may take a little longer than usual and he made need to do a larger incision and at last resort my need to go with a VSG instead of RNY. (Interesting you were told the opposite.)  At my last visit he said he won't be able to tell until he is in surgery about adhesions - some with lots of surgeries have very few and some who have only had one surgery may have a lot.  It all depends on how the individual heals. Best wishes.  Sending positive thoughts your way!

Surgery Date June 3, 2016

HW: 329 W at first consult 290. SW 238, LW 128, CW 139

siberiancat
on 4/21/16 5:33 am - COLUMBIA CITY, IN

I've had 4 open abdominal surgeries and 2 laproscopies.  I have a lot of adhesions.  The bariatric surgeon told me that they may have to do an "open" RNY - but she was able to do it laproscopically.  She did tell me it was difficult with all the adhesions (scar tissue).

I've since had one bowel obstruction.  My intestines sometimes get "trapped" in adhesions and cause pain - but usually they "move" around and get unkinked with the help of muscle relaxers.

Some people just form more scar tissue than others and every abdominal procedure will cause more adhesions.

Best wishes.  I love my RNY and being at my goal weight.

Penny

Penny
Highest Weight 255  * Wt loss includes 19 lb lost before surgery

Dee6504
on 4/21/16 6:39 am
RNY on 12/17/15 with

I've had two C-sections, and emergency ectopic and an appendix removal. I had a lot of scar tissue and while the initial surgery went well, I quickly developed a complication from the scar tissue, it kinked some of my bowel and I ended up back in for a second surgery a few days later.

I was already going for a RNY so I didn't have to worry about changing my course of action, but I think knowing what you do just pay extra attention to your body. I should have known something was wrong before I even left the hospital. I can handle surgery pain and I couldn't get off the morphine. The next night I was in the ER, so listen to your body don't assume anything that is setting off alarms is okay.

Given all that, and I picked up C-Diff in the hospital, I don't regret this at all. I am healing well now and have lost a great deal and I feel great.

Good Luck!

H/W 260, S/W 237, CW 140.4

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 364 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 293 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 388 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 480 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?