Blood sugar?

cheapskate
on 4/20/16 11:45 pm
RNY on 03/30/15

Does anyone have an issue with low vlood sugar post op? 

I have been having spells that I am certain are a low blood sugar issue and am not really sure what to eat when I am having them. Today I had a coupke pieces of candy but when you are very low carb those 2 pieces can kill your day. 

My dip seems to be late afternoon. I had to step out of a class I was training to sit down free some time before I could press on. 

ttfan
on 4/21/16 2:56 am
RNY on 08/15/16

I am diabetic and the Dr has always told me if I were to go low to have some OJ, a slice or 2 of deli ham, even skim milk

Grim_Traveller
on 4/21/16 3:33 am
RNY on 08/21/12

Get a meter and check. Many have spells that are low blood pressure, and some of the symptoms are the same.

If it is low blood sugar, it is most likely reactive hypoglycemia, which is different from hypoglycemia, and needs to be treated differently. But RH happens when you eat too much sugar or other simple carbs. If you haven't been eating those things, I would lean more toward the low blood pressure.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

H.A.L.A B.
on 4/21/16 4:43 am

Well... Sometimes lean proteins - like a protein shake, or even very lean heavily processed meat can cause RH... In people who do low carb low fat long term...

Google food insulin index.

I learned the hard way tha****er based, low fat, low carbs protein shake would cause my BS to drop app1-2 hours later. 

Adding some good fat to my food, and some complex carbs (like nut butter) solved my issues.

Heavily processed food - like I.e. whey proteins - can cause insulin spike and since there are no carbs to help with BS - and low glycogen due to long term low carving - you may see severe BS drop. 

But as Grimm said - make sure it is really your and and not BP. 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

cheapskate
on 4/21/16 6:43 am
RNY on 03/30/15

Thanks!  I will check my blood pressure. 

crafty_gal
on 4/21/16 6:48 am
RNY on 04/26/16

I just had this discussion with my doc 3 days ago.

Milk, even skim milk, slows the sugar from getting to your bloodstream. OJ is better but the best solution is glycol (sp?) tablets. Doctor said I need to start carrying them, and to take 4 at once, fewer won't work. Then wait 15 minutes, test your sugar. If it's above 75, you're good. If not, take 4 more and call 911.

He said that high sugar can take 10-20 years to kill you but low sugar can kill you today.

HW: 333 Consult Weight: 318 SW: 293

"Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

fickleme
on 4/21/16 7:42 am - Bessemer City, NC

I have reactive hypoglycemia but I also dump.. there is no way I would even attempt to take those glucose tablets or OJ for fear of a dumping episode to follow... I have to get lean protein or cheese quickly to get my sugar to come up and it works for me... It gets my sugar up to a healthy range within a decent time frame... With reactive hypoglycemia you can usually feel when you are crashing and can be proactive enough to stop it before its too late... Well once you figure out that's what is happening to you and discuss it with your doctor... I keep my meter with me at all times

H.A.L.A B.
on 4/21/16 8:15 am

when taken properly the glucose tables would not make you dump.. OJ - probably. 

When my BS drops really low - I can eat at least 2 of the glucose tables with no problem.. If you allow them to get absorbed in the mouth - yo will not dump. 

After I get my BS from very low levels - I would eat nut butter to stabilize it...

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

fickleme
on 4/21/16 11:17 am - Bessemer City, NC

Oh that's good to know but I still fear to chance it... dumping is just awful and if I can avoid it I will do so when I can.. lol... as well as sugar drops... I unfortunately have allergies to peanuts and pecans but I can eat almond butter and will keep that in mind the next time I have an episode... I was just mentioning about the dumping because I didn't want the OP thinking that everyone could eat 4-5 of the tablets to get their sugar levels back up without other consequences... 

H.A.L.A B.
on 4/21/16 11:56 am

Depends how low the BS gets - but if it drops below 40 - it can be a real emergency - so bringing it up ASAP - is really critical... nut butters or even nuts are great to maintain them once you get it up...

measuring the BS is very important. I sued to get BS in low 30s.. and when it dropped below - I  would drop also... but.. . if you get symptoms n low 60's or high 50's = that can be corrected with real food... f

for low 30's - yea.. you don't want to wait you need to bring it up as fast as it can be...

I found some snacks that are portable, taste good and have enough carbs and sugarto help not only bring it up but keep it there..

o'coconut bites... I found them first in my WF .. tried them - liked them and now i get them on line...

http://www.luckyvitamin.com/p-690771-nutiva-organic-o-coconu t-classic-0-5-oz

as for nut butters - I carry individually packed almond butter, Justin's classic almond butter

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 536 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 525 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 409 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 273 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 127 views
Recent Topics