Blood sugar?

fickleme
on 4/21/16 12:17 pm - Bessemer City, NC

Yes I would agree if its that low anything to get it up would be necessary... I have been fortunate and the lowest mine has dropped has been upper 40's... not a good feeling and quite frightening all the same.. thankfully the lean turkey and cheese I had helped and I do think I had a few crackers as well... Thanks for the tip on the o'coconut bites... I LOVE coconut so I will definitely be trying them.. and I have seen the individual packs of the almond butter at Walmart so I will pick up a few packs to keep on hand... I am trying to be way more conscience of everything that goes in my mouth and its been helping and I've lost the little bit of regain I had since October.. Go figure!! haha!!.. although I did have part of a bagel yesterday morning which isn't typical for me and before I knew it it dropped to 64... not super low but enough for me to notice I wasn't feeling well... I appreciate your advice and I hope the OP has learned lots too.. I'm 5 years out and still learn new things daily that's whats so great about OH :)

Grim_Traveller
on 4/21/16 8:15 am
RNY on 08/21/12

What fickleme said. Reactive hypoglycemia is NOT the same as hypoglycemia. Reactive hypoglycemia is caused by too much sugar or simple carbs. It causes blood sugar to briefly skyrocket, then insulin, and blood sugar crashes. 

Taking sugar or sugar tablets will raise blood sugar, sure. It also raises insulin, which causes blood sugar to crash again. You can be on that roller coaster all day long.

RH needs to be treated with protein, fats, and a small amount of carb to stabilize blood sugar, and get off the roller coaster. NOT sugar tablets, OJ, etc.

Reactive hypoglycemia hits many RNYers at 18 months or so after surgery. It is completely avoidable if you stick to protein first with some fats, and avoid simple carbs alone.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

H.A.L.A B.
on 4/21/16 11:24 am

actually, when dealing with RH and very low blood sugar- how to treat it may depend on how low BS drops. Too much insulin is already in the system causing the drop... if BS drops below 40...it can cause seizures, loss of consciousness, etc. For BS below 40 - it is critical to bring it up fast... really fast...typical 1 gr of glucose will bring Bs by 4-5 points. so a 5 gr glucose tablet - will bring Bs from 40 to 60.. still low - but safer level.. Then the person cana try to bring it up higher with other carbs.. 

lean proteins may stimulate more insulin - so they only can be used when combined with other carbs..

I used to get my BS in low 30  .. 2 tables - 8gr of glucose = 30 points... and i made sure I get them absorb as fast as possible.. then I would follow up with nut butters... or nuts... dark chocolate was my "to go" rescue remedy.. peanut M&M are another option... 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 50 replies · 504 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 468 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 412 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 46 replies · 420 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 5 replies · 27 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?