The pleasure of gardening again

Catek2652
on 4/25/16 5:48 am
RNY on 10/26/15

Finally, it seems Winter has come to the end in my neck of the woods and night time temps have been only in the low 50s and daytime is in the mid to high 70s. Spent the last several mornings out in the gardens. We took over my parent's home when they entered an assisted living facility in January 2014.

Mom had fairly extensive flower gardens and Dad had the orchard and vegetable garden. Dad's Alzheimer's started getting the best of him about 6 years ago and the veg garden ceased to exist and the orchard got pretty out of control. Mom did hire a fellow to come in two times a year to help her prune her beloved flowering shrubs and trees and spread mulch, but she did the weeding and planting for the most part herself. But as Dad got worse, she had less and less time.

When we moved in, I was in terrible pain from just moving due to my weight. Gardening for me, while I used to love it, was just too much for me. My husband kept the lawn mowed and kept the forest at bay with a weed wacker, but not much got done.

When I had my WLS in October, one of my goals was to get the gardens in shape. We still have a ways to go and I need to learn to run a chain saw so I can go heavy pruning in the orchard... but I've been able to spend many hours the last few weeks out there weeding, planting and just enjoying the out of doors. But I'm very, very pleased with both my progress and the garden's progress.

The first couple of days I was a little stiff in the mornings, and I use a little wheeled seat rather than kneel when I'm working at ground level (the knee cap I broke years ago still isn't allowing me to kneel on it), but I can work a spade and digging fork like a pro now. I can use the hand saw to prune overgrown shrubs. I could not do that this time last year (or for several years before).

The only downside has been dirt under my fingernails despite wearing gloves. Nothing a good manicure won't fix.  

Cate K

Northern Neck, VA 5'4" 56 years old

Highest weight 245: 7/1/2015, RNY surgery on October 26th. Had multiple complications and follow up surgeries and stayed in hospital for 24 days. Goal weight is 140.

karenp8
on 4/25/16 6:05 am - Brighton, IL

What an amazing victory for you and another reason to be thankful for your surgery! Thanks for sharing!

alaskasusan
on 4/25/16 7:50 pm - AK
RNY on 02/11/13

I can relate, Cate!  I too am an avid gardener up here in our short but stupendous growing seasons.  Now that I'm a normal size I can do everything much, much easier - which of course makes it that much more enjoyable!  Definitely one of the best of the tangible NSVs, I think!  Enjoy that dirt, it get covered up with the white stuff way too soon! 

Good luck reaching your goals!  :)

Heather P.
on 4/26/16 1:47 pm

How wonderful for you!  I too can't wait until I can really get down and dirty in the yard :)

Ht 5'7" HW 406, SW 361

RNY 3/28/16

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 486 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 446 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 46 replies · 454 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 397 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?