6 years December Severe gas pains

Laura T.
on 4/27/16 7:00 pm - Carthage, NC

This hasn't been typically a huge problem. But lately, and by that I mean almost daily. My lower left quadrant in front and my lower left back has been KILLING ME...SEVERE sharp gas pains. And, yes, I know it's gas because I ended up going to Dr for the pain thinking I had a kidney infection, UTI, or kidney stones. Turns out after an Xray to top off my blood tests that I just have some "stuff" in there, mixed in with lots of gas. Well, I'm not constipated, I use the bathroom nearly every day, if not several times a day. But that gas pain...It nearly bends me over with the agony of it. Kind of like someone jabbing a sharp blade in and twisting it about. It is debilitating. 

Any ideas on what to do? I've employed gas pills out the wazoo, I took 6 Ducalax within 24 hours to "clean it all out", I'm on a daily regime of Miralax and drink water...mostly coffee. I admit, but I do drink at least 2 20oz bottles a day. Been exercising as well. I'm lost.

2nd issue is, I am back up to 230 from my all time low of 175. I plateaued at 185 for a couple of years, I was happy there. I'd be happy there again if I could just get back to it. With an RNY dropping 45 lbs shouldn't be that big a deal. I can't even lose 5 for more than  a day.

Uggh! 

Laura T
Whether therefore ye eat or drink, do all to the glory of God.  

H.A.L.A B.
on 4/28/16 4:33 am

From my experience:

1. You can have daily BM and  be "constipated - full of it" at the same time.  A few days liquids and lots of Miralx or magnesium. Gas pains means the gas is trapped - you body is breaking the food in your small intestine and not in colon. You may have bacteria in your small intestine. SIBO. 
  2. Google SIBO and FODMAP diet. 
  3. Some foods - no matter how little I eat gives me gas and pain. I stop eating that. That includes any onion, garlic (even in spices) , grains, beans, most fruits. The diet is restrictive - but works not only for gas but also to help lose the regain. 

When my gut gets very "unhappy" I put myself on a very restrictive diet of only some meats (mostly cooked chicken) and veggies...(cooked, not raw) and I would eat that for a few days...while taking Miralx and magnesium to clean my gut... Typically after 2- 3 days I fell better... I would wait a day and start introducing more food. One new item every 2-3 days to see what causes my problem.  

I do eat foods that I know can cause gas - but I limit that to no more that every 2-3 days so my body can deal with it. 

I.e I can have some "bread or chips" maybe once a week.  Popcorn - a handful or 2 maybe once a month.  Apple - 1 or 2 times a month. Raw veggies - some - once a week. (except raw cucumber) 

I eat meat, fish, eggs, cucumbers, avocado, pickles, nuts, some berries (not daily) some cooked veggies (low carbs veggies - low fiber) 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Laura T.
on 4/28/16 2:42 pm - Carthage, NC

Sounds very logical! Breaking the food down in the small intestine instead of stomach...and yes, I can always tell if I eat certain foods like salad, milk products etc it seems to be worse. 

I will certainly try this! I've been on Miralax now for a few days, and I'm drinking--ha...not as much water as I should. But coffee and such. 

Thanks for the input! I was beginning to think I was the only one!

LOL

Laura T
Whether therefore ye eat or drink, do all to the glory of God.  

sheriberi29
on 4/29/16 4:17 am - Cleveland, TN

I'm just wondering if you have tried acidophilus. 

Banded 6/9/09 HW 242 LW 142 Revision 198 m 1 loss 16 lbs 182. M 2 loss 4 lbs 178. M3 loss 6 lbs 174.m4 loss 4 lbs 168. M5 gain 2 lbs 170. M6 loss 7 lbs 163 M7 loss 5 lbs 159 M8 loss 1 lb 158 M9 loss 0 M10 155 loss 3 M11 154 loss 1 M12 loss 2 152 M13 loss 3 149 M16, 17 0 loss M 18 loss 4 lbs 145 (18 months 53 lbs)

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 486 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 446 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 46 replies · 454 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 397 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 111 views
Forum Search Error & 404