Trying to get all my Protein in, any suggestions?

Texas Girl
on 5/19/16 1:06 pm

Hello to all ObesityHelp friends!

I am an Old post-op RNY  survivor!  I do not regrets having my RNY gastric (open) weight loss surgery.... I am taking better care of myself again; taking my vitamins and supplements daily, I just am having problems with getting my Protein shakes in daily...  I welcome any sugesttions for better success!! Thank you...

Deanna798
on 5/19/16 1:35 pm
RNY on 08/04/15

I'm just 9.5 months post op, but honestly I rarely drink a protein shake, and when I do it's just to make a healthy choice over a carby one.

I eat lots of dense protein like meat, fish and eggs and tend to get anywhere from 80 to 100 grams of protein a day. If you are looking for some specific recipes you may want to look at the blog called The World According to Eggface.  Also, the Bariatric Foodie blog has a lot of good ideas and recipes.  

Stick around, we've got a good bunch of regulars here and can always stand to have another long time vet to help share their experiences.

Age: 44 | Height: 5' 3" | Starting January 2015: 291 | RNY 8/4/15 with Dr. Arthur Carlin| Goal: 150

Listen to advice and accept discipline, and at the end you will be counted among the wise. ~Proverbs 19:20

supershopper
on 5/19/16 7:01 pm

I'm 5 months out an rarely have a protein shake... I eat chicken, turkey, eggs, yougurt and usually 1/2 protein bar a day. 

HW 305 SW 278 Surgery weight 225 GW 160 LW: 118.8

RNY 12/15/2015,

GB removal 09/2016,

Twisted bowel/hernia repair 08/2017

M1 Dec 2015-13.0, M2-7.0, M3-14.5, M4-9.4, M5-7.1, M6 9.8, M7-7.6 ,M8- 7.6, M-9 5.5, M10-6.4, M11- 2.2, M12 Dec 2016- 5.8

The Salty Hag
on 5/19/16 8:31 pm
RNY on 05/20/13

I'd forego shakes and eat dense proteins, like Deana mentioned. You'll get the roughly the same amount of protein and you'll stay satisfied a lot longer.

Is there a medical or other reason you can't eat dense proteins?

I woke up in between a memory and a dream...

Tom Petty

Catek2652
on 5/20/16 5:17 am
RNY on 10/26/15

I still drink a protein shake most afternoons for my 3 p.m. snack. Premier Protein, is my choice even though there is some saying that not all of the protein advertised is absorbed. I figure I'm getting about 20 grams from it. Other than that, I focus on real food: eggs, cheeses, meat, fish, chicken and I'm averaging about 80 grams of protein a day. My sides at meals (other than breakfast when I don't have sides), is green stuff: broccoli, turnip greens, spinach, romaine lettuce, radishes, turnips, snap peas, cabbage in various forms (kraut, baked, sautéed, raw). I'm getting most of that out of our garden... one great NSV for me is being able to garden again... I also toss in herbs from my garden. I'm waiting impatiently for summer to arrive with tomatoes, green peppers, green beans, okra, squashes, etc.

If I focus on making my sides as tasty as possible and as fresh as possible, after I eat my protein portion (normally just over 2 ounces), then a couple to three bites of the side dish is just enough to keep my tastebuds happy and keep my colon happy.

I see now that portion control is really the key to everything.

Now, as for when I first had my surgery, I just sipped protein shakes throughout the day. I had crazy complications early on and just could barely keep water down the first month... actually the first three weeks I couldn't even keep water down and underwent three more surgeries to fix the issues. I was not permitted to even consider solid foods of any kind until my third month post surgery. Maybe that's why I appreciate my solid foods so much now.

Cate K

Northern Neck, VA 5'4" 56 years old

Highest weight 245: 7/1/2015, RNY surgery on October 26th. Had multiple complications and follow up surgeries and stayed in hospital for 24 days. Goal weight is 140.

cheapskate
on 5/20/16 8:37 am
RNY on 03/30/15

I am 14 months out and am shake heavy. I love them. 

I make recipes from dashingdish.com like birthday cake batter and peppermint patty. I use premier protein in my starbucks as well as Inspire mixed with califia farms toasted almond.  

For me, I have to make sure I eat "real" food. At 7 last night I realized I hadn't had any at all.... 

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 569 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 358 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 266 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 459 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 375 views
Recent Topics