Hair cut for hair loss...

Sunqueen15
on 6/21/16 7:46 pm
RNY on 03/21/16

OK, so I literally feel like I lost a 1/3 of my hair in the shower today!!  It was BAD! It was in a knotty knotty curly mess and required lots of conditioner and combing but the amount that kept coming out was enough to make me cry! I have no intentions of asking for remedies, I know they really do not work, but can anyone tell me if continuing to get trims or hair cuts is a good idea? I'm terrified to have my hair dresser do anything because I'm so embarrassed of the idea of all that hair coming out and even more so because there's extra combing and hair drying etc. I've never been thin with very long hair, I always ended up chopping it off because I felt I could make that look pretty and different when I couldn't do the same for my body. I'd love to keep it long and it grows back right? 

(deactivated member)
on 6/21/16 8:40 pm
RNY on 03/15/16

Ugh, I am in the same place.  I had heard that you will lose some hair about 3 months out....and here we are.  I clean my brush out every time I use it cuz there is so much hair on it.  I am curious....is there anything we can do for it??  I have been thinking a hair cut may be what I need, but who knows?!

Susan C

Sunqueen15
on 6/21/16 9:26 pm
RNY on 03/21/16

I've read here that there is no cure so I am def. not looking to stop it because I know that's impossible. I just wasn't sure if keeping up with regular trims would be a good idea. Good luck to you and hopefully we don't become skinny and bald at the same time :-) 

NANNY13
on 6/21/16 8:44 pm
WLS on 12/21/15

Don't cut it off just because it is shedding. It will stop. Eventually. You will just end up with thinner shorter hair instead of thinner longer hair. When the ends get too see through or uneven give it a healthy trim. It is summer so you can get away with beachy hair so don't stress too much.

I am just now coming out on the other side where it has slowed down. People know you look different. Your face is smaller and they are not going to know about Your shedding. They will think you just did something different to your hair. You have all the plusses on your side.

When you go to a stylist - pick one that does what you want - not what they want. Tell her or him that you are experiencing hair loss from a surgery you had to have and this is one of the known side effects of it. It will stop soon and ty very much for your concern. Or say nothing at all.

I did hair for over 20 years. Enjoy the longer length.

Sunqueen15
on 6/21/16 9:32 pm
RNY on 03/21/16

This is exactly everything I needed to hear! I'm going to keep my regularly scheduled trim. My hair has been shedding for a couple of weeks now and I will let it air dry and add some sea salt spray to keep the wave and beachy look. I did this on saturday and when I mentioned to my mom about it being thinner and falling out, she was surprised and said no she actually thought my hair looked nice and healthy. I'll try to keep in mind that I am the only one who probably notices. Can I ask how far out from surgery you are? 

Sunqueen15
on 6/21/16 9:33 pm
RNY on 03/21/16

Nevermind, i was able to see your stats :-) 

karenp8
on 6/22/16 5:31 am - Brighton, IL

If you want long hair,keep it long. Keep up with your regular trims as usual and realize that you notice it WAY more than anyone else. When my hair grew back it was wavy when before surgery it was straight as a board.

Heather P.
on 6/22/16 6:14 am

I had all my hair chopped off before surgery for this very reason.  I just would rather have shorter hair with a little more body to hide the hair loss.  It seems like when it's longer it lays flatter and it makes the hair loss more obvious (I have had hair loss before).  I am just coming on my three month mark so I guess I will see if it worked!

Ht 5'7" HW 406, SW 361

RNY 3/28/16

Deanna798
on 6/22/16 6:26 am
RNY on 08/04/15

I've chopped mine shorter as time goes by.  It was getting so straggly, and I'd rather it be shorter and look good than long and super thin.  The good thing is that mine has stopped falling out and is now growing back, so maybe as it grows back in I'll let it grow again.  

I think you'll just have to wait and see how bad the loss is and if it gets too thin to look good long.  

Age: 44 | Height: 5' 3" | Starting January 2015: 291 | RNY 8/4/15 with Dr. Arthur Carlin| Goal: 150

Listen to advice and accept discipline, and at the end you will be counted among the wise. ~Proverbs 19:20

Jackie N.
on 6/22/16 6:29 am
RNY on 06/24/15

I had the same issue starting about the 3 month mark.  I went to the salon with the intention of just getting my long hair a trim.  When I got in the chair, I ended up saying "cut it all off".  I got a pixie cut!!  I've had short hair before, but never that extreme.  It took me a few days to get used to, but I LOVE it.  My hair has since stopped falling out and has started regrowing.  I started letting the pixie grow out, but it turns out I like it better that way than my long hair before.  On my last salon visit , I got purple streaks too.  I feel sassy!

I guess my point is this - do what you want to do.  It's only hair, it will grow back.  Mine stopped falling out about the 7-8 month mark, I think that is fairly common.  It's a pain when it is falling out and thinning so it takes a bit of work to keep it in shape.  Definitely keep it trimmed to that there's no split ends on what you do have.  Hang in there! :)

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 540 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 525 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 413 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 287 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 127 views
Recent Topics