Thyroidectomy (or Hypothyroidism) = weight gain = more struggles with success in RNY??

Novella
on 7/4/16 2:05 pm

Hello Everyone, I have recently had thyroidectomy (7 weeks post surgery) and have gained the weight I've lost since entering the WL program in September 2015!  I attribute the sudden weight gain to managing thyroid with synthroid.  Nothing, other than increased cravings and appetite has changed.  I know that RNY has physiological and anatomical benefits.  Question, for those with or without thyroid issues, has your wls  journey been more challenging because of your thyroid issue? My WLS is scheduled for September.  I am so excited.  I had the option of having the surgery earlier however, I wanted to wait several more weeks after thyroidectomy and also the pre-op diet is smack in middle of holidays.  I read success stories and am encouraged so much. I read unsuccessful stories and pray I will never have to struggle with that. My endo does not believe I will struggle more  because I do no have a thyroid, that once the biomeds are balanced, I will be fine.  I guess this situation applies to those who are hypothyroid as well, has it been a struggle?

49yr Woman » |5'5"| HW 244 | CW 158 | GW 145 | SD 09/16

Pre-op-20lb M1-25lb M2-10 M3-6lb M4-7lb M5-7lb M6-3lb M7-2lb M8-2lb M9-3lb

hollykim
on 7/4/16 2:10 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On July 4, 2016 at 9:05 PM Pacific Time, Novella wrote:

Hello Everyone, I have recently had thyroidectomy (7 weeks post surgery) and have gained the weight I've lost since entering the WL program in September 2015!  I attribute the sudden weight gain to managing thyroid with synthroid.  Nothing, other than increased cravings and appetite has changed.  I know that RNY has physiological and anatomical benefits.  Question, for those with or without thyroid issues, has your wls  journey been more challenging because of your thyroid issue? My WLS is scheduled for September.  I am so excited.  I had the option of having the surgery earlier however, I wanted to wait several more weeks after thyroidectomy and also the pre-op diet is smack in middle of holidays.  I read success stories and am encouraged so much. I read unsuccessful stories and pray I will never have to struggle with that. My endo does not believe I will struggle more  because I do no have a thyroid, that once the biomeds are balanced, I will be fine.  I guess this situation applies to those who are hypothyroid as well, has it been a struggle?

I had my thyroid removed .over 20 years ago and have lost 122# and kept it off with taking synthroid

peachpie
on 7/4/16 4:53 pm - Philadelphia, PA
RNY on 04/28/15

I had a total thyroidectomy one year prior to my RNY. My synthroid dose was managed by the time I had surgery. Part of the reason I decided on RNY was because I was already facing an uphill battle to lose weight, doing so without a thyroid, and possibly gaining more; scared me. 

Since  RNY I've had no problems losing, or any other of the perceived problems with synthetic thyroid replacement. Personally I think docs hype up the maybes of how life can be post thyroidectomy a whole bunch. 

My endo has seen me post op RNY-- he's pleased as could be; but accurately cautioned me that behavior modification is the key to success with RNY

5'6.5" High weight:337 Lowest weight:193/31 BMI: Goal: 195-205/31-32 BMI

Novella
on 7/4/16 5:20 pm

Thank you Peachpie! You are inspiring!

49yr Woman » |5'5"| HW 244 | CW 158 | GW 145 | SD 09/16

Pre-op-20lb M1-25lb M2-10 M3-6lb M4-7lb M5-7lb M6-3lb M7-2lb M8-2lb M9-3lb

NYMom222
on 7/4/16 6:31 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

I am post menopausal (hysterectomy and ovaries) as well as hypothyroid. I haven't had any trouble losing the weight. My weight loss slowed a lot after the one year mark- which is common... so I didn't think it was thyroid related. My Doc who prescribes did bloodwork and my T3 was off. He adjusted the meds and said- give it about a month and you will start losing again. Sure enough I did- boom.

I am almost 2 years out, and my dosage has had to be adjusted upward quite a few times since surgery... I don't know if that is because of the RNY malabsorption... but if you look at my ticker, I have obviously done fine.

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

G2GAWAY
on 7/4/16 8:06 pm
RNY on 05/16/15

I have been on thyroid medicine for 34 years, most of them on synthroid. It is monitored regularly and I have had it adjusted once in the past 10 years (downward-much to my chagrin, but it is not good for your body to take too much).  I had my RNY a year ago and so far the levels have stayed the same as in the past. I will continue to have it monitored and change if needed. So far I have lost 146 pounds, with only a bit more to go. Having the surgery was the best thing I have done. I would never have lost this weight (certainly not in a little over a year) otherwise. Good luck.

Cory

5'7" Starting Weight: 305

Current Weight: 145

pammieanne
on 7/5/16 10:53 am - OK
RNY on 05/16/16

I am only 7 weeks out.

That being said, I too am hyperthyroid. I have been pretty steady with my synthroid for over a year now, so that was required for me to be able to have the RNY.

I think I'm doing pretty well with my weight loss thus far, but it has crossed my mind, and I do sometimes worry that it will play a part at some point. Reading other's posts though makes me feel better, and hopefully it'll all go just fine :)

Height 5'5" HW 260 SW 251 CW 141.6 (2/27/18)

RNY 5-16-16 Pre-Op 9lbs, M1-18.5lbs, M2-18.1lbs, M3-14.8lbs, M4-10.4lbs, M5-9.2lbs, M6-7lbs, M7-6.2lbs, M8-8.8lbs,M9-7.8lbs, M10-1 lb, M11-.6lbs, M12-4.4lbs

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 420 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 374 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 422 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 139 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 408 views
Recent Topics