Venofer for anemia and bone marrow lesions

beatrice00
on 7/12/16 4:25 am - NY
RNY on 04/10/12 with
I need some advice trying to figure out how to deal with my surgery side effects and would like some ideas what to do.
I have developed severe anemia requiring almost monthly Venofer infusions. The MRI of my spine shows bone marrow lesions because of the anemia, and my endo/colonscopy looks like Celiac disease but with negative biopsy results. I don't have Celiac but I have all the looks of it internally and the symptoms.
This severely affects my life and I don't have any ideas what to do. I can't continue the rest of my life on Venofer infusions. I have young kids and am so tired sometines I pass out on the couch without even realizing it.
Has anyone ever had this? For the Celiac symptoms, has anyone been diagnosed with this?

H.A.L.A B.
on 7/12/16 4:38 am

You need to get tested for food allergies. 

That And gogle SIBO and  leaky gut.

If you still menstruating - unless you plan to have children - you may consider uterine ablation to stop blood loss.. 

Btw - I am post menapousal and still I had blood loss more than my docs could explain.  I needed iron infusions...and I had a very hard time with oral iron (could not take it or absorb) 

However - once I eliminated the foods I was allergic to plus I started using the vitamin patches thankfully they work for me)  - not only my iron is good now - but my ferritin is holding for the last 3  years...... And before that I needed iron infusions once a year... 

You have inflamation in your gut and colon... You may not know you have food allergies... Get tested... 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

beatrice00
on 7/12/16 4:59 am - NY
RNY on 04/10/12 with
Who does the food allergy test, the GE? I am on a FODMAP diet, very strict, to try and lower the inflamation. My horrible gas stoped but the diet is very restrictive. Anyway, the anemia is the worse. I would gladly have yearly infusions, monthly is too much to deal with for the rest of my life. Doctors have discussed hysterectomy. I had breast cancer and can't take any birth control to stop bleeding. It affects me living my life with my kids. I don't schedule some activities for them because I know I would be too fatigued to drive.

I don't see anyone on these forums with severe anemia enough to cause bone marrow issues. I posted hoping someone did some kind of treatment to solve it.

H.A.L.A B.
on 7/12/16 5:18 am

A allergy doc can test you for some simple food allergies. I found out I was allergic to dairy (whey, yogurt, cheese) plus severely allergic to soy... And soy can be in anything...

Uterine ablation - they go in and burn out the ligning - it should stop or limit the monthly bleeding. No hormons. I would not jump into hysterectomy - unless absolutely the last resort. But that would be me. 

Also Candida - internal yeast - when my GERD flares up - I need a few days on diflucan...

Also - Google elimination diet and IF . IF helped with a lot of my symptoms. If = intermittent fasting - I eat only in my "eating window" of 8-10 hours per day. And push good liquids in between. 

I can't drink diet soda except brand name diet tonic. Splenda and aspartame really bothers my gut.   Really really bothers it - causing inflamation, and even bothers my bladder.  

I can't drink mio, Crystal light, etc. Etc etc..

Water, green tea, black tea.. Water infused with fruit... 

I take very strong probiotic - daily. It is expensive ...but alternative is not good. 

I did a few "stupid things" last week and over the weekend....so my GERD and my IBS is flaring... (Crap). So...I need to put myself on a very strict elimination diet for a few days...my body tolerates cooked  chicken and cooked -some veggies, avocado, and coconut oil. Today and next 2-3 days that what I would be eating...every day...every meal... Untill things quiet down... Plus 1-2 days... And I will be taking diflucan and probiotics... It sucks..but it works... 

Then I will be able to introduce some cooked beef... Then ...I hope to progress to more foods... 

Once things heals internally - a week or so...I may be able to add more foods..  Until then...bland diet..no raw foods, no fruits , no nuts, no alcohol... 

I started brewing my own cold brew coffee.. Less acidic than normal coffee... I love my coffee too much.. For now - I can't imagine giving it up. 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Rides4me
on 7/12/16 11:42 am - Atlanta, GA

I did develop a gluten intolerance about three years ago.  I have tested negative for Celiac, but my GI and I are confident this came on once the cilia grew back in the remaining intestines.  I cheat every once in awhile and I am reminded why I don't eat it. 

I have been diagnosed with Barrett's Esophagus from the years of reflux in my 20's. Due to my latest iron labs, which I had done because I randomly passed out, my GI had to clear me for any internal GI bleeding before I start infusions. 

The iron deficiency has caused high blood pressure and heart arrhythmia. Symptoms which should fix it self once I am on a regimen.  GI doc said at this point, food or supplements won't touch this   

My Ferriton was normal but...

TBC was 502 

Iron saturation was 6% 

Now just waiting on a hematologist appointment to start getting juiced. 

SW 301/CW 205/GW 150 
gallbladder removal and hernia repair 6/3/2011
Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 542 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 526 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 414 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 296 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?