Intestinal Spasms? ER visit.

Kinne
on 7/29/16 6:38 pm

Hello there! I'm a year out. Been having abdominal pain and bloating for 4 years. Nearly every day. Zillions of exams and diet monetoring provided no clue. Now, a year out, I am having pain that is the same as before but FAR worse! Met surgeon at ER over a week ago, ct, blood work done, again showed nothing. He sent me home w/ a pamphlet on intestinal spasms and sublingwal gas relievers. They don't always work. The pain and bloating in mid to lower abdomin is almost unbearable! I cry a lot. I'm also taking Lortab for something else and it even does nothing for pain. I'm not real adept at releasing gas. No localized pain. Just the entire abdomin. I've cleared my diet of any items that can induce this amount of gas. I wake up with this pain. 

I can feel my intestines popping, centrally.

Is "intestinal spasms", just gas? Anyone ever experienced this? It @#$%&+? hurts and is debilitating. I don't want to cry every day. Help?

lking
on 7/29/16 7:06 pm, edited 7/29/16 12:10 pm - Indianapolis, IN
RNY on 12/04/15

Four weeks ago I had such horrible, dibilitating intestinal spasms that my husband called an ambulance.  I was wisked off to the hospital; 2 hours later I was being wheeled into the ER to have an emergency surgery.  I had an intestinal blockage which turned out to be a pelvic internal hernia.

67 yrs old, 4'10", BMI 31.8 (51.8 at start), HW 256.4 (8/4/15), SW 217.4, CW 152.8 (4/30/18), GW 125.0, RNY 12/4/15 Dr. RoseMarie Jones, Breast Cancer DX 2/16, Bi-lateral mastectomy 8/9/16.

H.A.L.A B.
on 7/29/16 7:59 pm, edited 7/29/16 10:44 pm

I am sorry to hear you are dealing with that.  That sound so like I had ..and still have if I do something to **** off my gut.  

Sometimes food can trigger that, sometimes stress, sometimes - just because - or so it seems. 

Over the years I got tested for food allergies, and intolerances.  Some food - even relatively small amount - can affect my gut for 2-3 or even 5 days after. 

I call my condition IBS -C. SIBO. Currently I deal with it using strict diet, IF, etc. I make sure I get complete BM every day.  And I do try to avoid any food that can cause gas or inflammation...

My diet is based on Low FODMAP diet, SCD diet, low carb, Keto.  And since I am allergic to dairy - no milk, cheese, yogurt or whey proteins.  

I can "cheat" some ...once in a while... But I need to make sure I have my gut pills handy...because when cramps come...they can be really painful and last a while. 

I use sublingual hyoscyamine sulfate. Typically 3-4 at a time when cramps start. 1- 2 would not do nothing for me. 

Even small amount of garlic in spices can trigger a spasm, or some soy sauce (i am allergic to soy) in marrinated,  dressing, etc.  SA - even small qty - like in a chewing gum or chewable vitamins can really hurt me. 

Have you been checked for food allergies? 

Btw- I had 3 hernias and 3 surgeries to fix that. Cat scan before each surgery was clean - not showing any abnormalities. But pain due to twisted gut stuck in hernia - was horrible.  The hernia was found during lap exploratory sugery.  Just because the ER test show nothing - it does not mean there are no "physical issues" 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Missella20
on 7/31/16 7:48 am
RNY on 07/11/13

I have had some severe gas pains too. I gone to the E.R. Thinking it was something serious. And I also have trouble releasing gas. I haven't experienced this pain for a year now and the only thing I do differently is I make sure I have a bowel movement every day! I take a little miralax every morning when I first wake up. Hope you find relief!

HW 264    SW 234    CW 149    5'4" 

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 568 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 357 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 33 replies · 249 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 458 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 375 views