NUT says to eat a lot of Carbs. . ? ? ?

RJC5197
on 8/24/16 5:51 am - MI
RNY on 05/17/16

I meet with my NUT yesterday for a 3 month checkup and I discussed I was at 800 calories (Up to now I was told to be at 900 or less) and 30 carbs.  She did say my protein and fluids is great. but due to my working out every day I need to up my calories to 1200, but also gave me a carb level of 135 grams per day.

WOW this is a huge jump. She has been a great support up to now, but I think I will move up to 1200 cals and 40 carbs to start, then more if I feel I can handle them and not stop the even the very slow weight loss I have now.

Anyone else eating this much carbs at 3 months out after Bypass and still losing weight?

Have a great day. . .

chassibi
on 8/24/16 5:55 am

You will hear this from others, but she is probably giving you bad advice. Eating that many carbs will make you crave more. Those who do heavy exercise or training eat a lot more carbs than the rest of us, but I don't think a regular workout would necessitate that big of a jump in carbs. Just my opinion, I am thinking others will chime in.

Consult Weight:276/Surgery Day Weight: 241.6 /Goal Weight: 150

chris_ruff
on 8/24/16 6:00 am
RNY on 04/07/09 with

ugh...my experience has been that many NUTS are clueless. mine suggested i eat cereal, a banana, and a glass of orange juice for breakfast, even after i had a surgical ulcer! so dumb. needless to say i did not follow that advice, or basically anything she suggested.

if i were you, i'd keep those carbs as low as you can. you're in the "honeymoon phase" where you've got to maximize how much you lose before that precious window closes. i would not compromise that with carbs, regardless of your exercise. 

honestly the calories seem high for only 3 months out too. i'm no expert but i'm thinking 800 is a better number in order to maximize your weight loss. you say you've been losing slowly, why slow it even more? 

as long as you're taking your vitamins and water, and keeping your protein intake at a good level, i would not mess around with carbs or calories. i can't stress enough that this magic window will one day close and you will regret not maximizing it. 

--Christina
Deanna798
on 8/24/16 6:35 am
RNY on 08/04/15

Your NUT is a bit nuts.  If you increase your calories that much, your loss will most definitely slow or stop.  I know I'm not a NUT, but I've followed the advice of the vets here, and tried to keep my calories about 800 or 900 calories until I hit 1 year out when I felt I needed to increase to keep myself from binge eating.  

If you up your calories that much at just 3 months post op, you will be shooting your quick weight loss in the foot.  

Age: 44 | Height: 5' 3" | Starting January 2015: 291 | RNY 8/4/15 with Dr. Arthur Carlin| Goal: 150

Listen to advice and accept discipline, and at the end you will be counted among the wise. ~Proverbs 19:20

White Dove
on 8/24/16 6:38 am - Warren, OH

Sometimes I think that the NUTs are just experimenting to see if people will lose after surgery when they eat high carb.  If you follow her advice and don't lose enough weight, the patients she sees after you will get different advice.  But you will have wasted your surgical honeymoon.

To lose all of your excess weight and enough extra pounds to cover rebound, you need to give up all of the useless carbs.  No cereal, rice, potatoes, sugar, fruit, bread or pastas.  Very few non-starchy vegetables.  No vegetables is OK. Give the surgical honeymoon all of your effort and it will reward you with a lifetime of being at normal weight.

You will have plenty of energy without the carbs.  Humans got to the top of the food chain and developed superior brains because they learned to eat meat.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Grim_Traveller
on 8/24/16 6:57 am
RNY on 08/21/12

It's been a pleasure sharing the top of the food chain with you.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Daffodilgirl
on 8/24/16 11:30 am

Question about rebound...... When you get close to your goal do you just need to lose 15 to 20 morepounds to "cover" yourself from rebound? This is one thing I am so unclear about. 

White Dove
on 8/24/16 1:52 pm - Warren, OH

That is exactly it.  You might look too skinny for about a year but will be so glad that you have the cushion for regain when your body recovers from the surgery.  My rebound started at 30 months and was a pound a week for three months until I learned to eat less food.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

pammieanne
on 8/24/16 6:42 am - OK
RNY on 05/16/16

A little off topic, but sometimes I do wonder about the NUTS out there... thankfully my doc hasn't asked me to go see his again - yet - and if he does, I will probably decline that offer (seeing that it comes out of my pocket)

I have a friend that's doing a tremendous job with her RNY. She had it 8 months ago, and is under her own personal goal. But she was talking to her NUT about always being hungry (she does not limit carbs like I do, but we have a silent agreement, and don't judge too much on each other's way of doing this)... her NUT told her to eat veggies first! Then move onto her protein and eat what she can. I find that crazy considering we NEED our protein, plus protein is what keeps you full!!

That being said... I have no advice to give you because I'm also only 3 months out. I don't think I could eat 1200 calories right now! 

Height 5'5" HW 260 SW 251 CW 141.6 (2/27/18)

RNY 5-16-16 Pre-Op 9lbs, M1-18.5lbs, M2-18.1lbs, M3-14.8lbs, M4-10.4lbs, M5-9.2lbs, M6-7lbs, M7-6.2lbs, M8-8.8lbs,M9-7.8lbs, M10-1 lb, M11-.6lbs, M12-4.4lbs

Daisydoo02
on 8/24/16 6:44 am - GTA, Ontario, Canada
RNY on 11/15/13

No No No NO!  Nuts just have no clue.  I can't stand the NUT at my centre, she is a waste of my time.  Also for me when I went to my 3 month check in my NUT was quite upset with me for my low calories and not eating carbs!  Luckily I had been here on OH and seen that carbs are NOT the way to go and neither is high calories.  1200 calories is a maintenance level NOT 3 months.  When I was 3 months I was eating around 500-700 max in calories and little to no carbs.  My NUT wanted me eating bread, oatmeal, potatoes, couscous and brown rice. I just nodded and said "okay" but in my head I was screaming "YOU ARE CRAZY!!!!  I an so glad I did NOT listen to her and listened to the amazing people here on OH.  

Keep your calories at 800, don't go to 1200 its too soon.  Keep your carbs at 30 for as long as you can.  Yes you are working out but I am going to guess you still have weight to lose, you have done so well so far and you won't lose those last 53 lbs if you listen to her!

To give you an example I am almost 3 years out, I keep my calories between 950-1100 max daily. I keep my carbs at 50 or below daily. I only eat a protein forward diet and I work out daily at the gym and then come home and walk my two dogs.  I would have been screwed if I had listened to my Nut at my 3 month appt, I would never have gotten to goal.

I think Nuts are good people with good intentions but just have no clue how to advise post WLS patients how to eat. I wish I could meet a NUT who actually had WLS and see if she would in fact take her own advice and eat 1200 calories and 135 carbs at 3 months out, guaranteed she would not.  

Listen to the Veterns here on OH, don't listen to the Nut period.

Glad you came on her and posted, good luck you have done really well so far!!

Daisy 5'5" HW: 290 SW: 254 CW: 120

Nov 15, 2013: RNY - Toronto Western Hospital, Nov 2, 2017: Gallbladder removal & hernia repair

Sept 7, 2023: three +1 hernia's repaired in bowel

10+ years post op, living & loving life!

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 532 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 514 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 396 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 25 replies · 243 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 125 views
Recent Topics