Next step.... Sleep Study

Terri70
on 9/14/16 1:28 pm

Going Monday night to do my sleep study. Very anxious about it. I'm afraid I won't sleep since they only want you to sleep on your back. I'm a side sleeper. I've tried every night for the last week to do it and just can't. I don't know what to do. Will they give me meds to help me sleep? I'm scared.

catwoman7
on 9/14/16 2:22 pm
RNY on 06/03/15

they won't give you meds to help you sleep.  And they had me sleep on my side and my back.  I can't sleep on my back, either, and I doubt I slept more than 10 minutes during the time they  had me on my back.  I'm surprised they could make an assessment, but maybe they have ways to deal with this as a lot of people seem to have trouble sleeping when they're doing a sleep study.

RNY 06/03/15 by Michael Garren (Madison, WI)

HW: 373 SW: 316 GW: 150 LW: 138 CW: 163

tracy O.
on 9/14/16 2:22 pm - shelby
RNY_elizabeth
on 9/14/16 2:24 pm - TX
RNY on 10/06/15

Nothing to be afraid of.  They will walk you through it. They do this all the time.  They have had lots of folks who have trouble falling asleep. That is literally what they do for a living...deal with people who have trouble of some kind with their sleep. You will be totally fine. The benefits of healthy sleep are so worth the hassles of the test.

~E

Consultation weight: 265, Surgery date: 10/6/15, Goal: 150, Current weight: 129; 5'5, 46 years old

"I am basically food's creepy ex-girlfriend. I know we can't be together anymore but I just want to spend time hanging out" ~me, about why I love cooking so much post WLS

jenorama
on 9/14/16 4:11 pm - CA
RNY on 10/07/13

I was in the same boat as you.  I pretty much didn't get any sleep during the sleep study. I'm sure I dozed off and after a few hours I gave up and turned over on my side.  You will get no meds.  There's nothing scary about it, but don't be surprised if you feel like you've been dragged over rocks the next day.

Jen

Liz WantsHealthForAll
on 9/15/16 4:06 am - Cape Cod, MA
VSG on 03/28/16

The sleep center wouldn't give me meds themselves but when I talked to them about my fear of not sleeping when booking the appointment, to my surprise they suggested that I have my PCP give me a prescription for one.  He did, and they told me when to take it that night - I slept great! You might want to call and ask if your sleep center is ok with that.

Liz 5'3" HW: 219 SW: 185 GW: 125 LW: 113 Desired maintenance range: 120-123 CW: 120 (after losing 20 lb. regain)!

JordanXOXO
on 9/17/16 5:06 pm

I have a sleep study done before, I took my normal sleep aid before I went to sleep for the study. The worst party about it for me was all the wires they attach to you. I hated it!

I definitely suggest asking your PCP for a sleeping aid. Ambien works great for me personally. 

HW:385lbs 
CW:366lbs
GW:145lbs

Seminar Scheduled 10/13/16 

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 539 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 525 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 412 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?