Revision with BCBS of alabama

nida
on 9/15/16 1:19 pm

Hello everyone I would just like to say how much I enjoy reading everyone's journey. Great job! And good luck to those just starting. Well to make a long story short I had wls in 2002 with little to no problems. I lost 130 pounds but I've gained about 100 pounds back. At this time I'm lost for words. I'm eat a lot of protein now. I never stopped working out. So my question is will BCBS of Alabama pay for a revision of they paid for the first surgery? Any bit of help will be welcome.

RJC5197
on 9/15/16 2:22 pm - MI
RNY on 05/17/16

I had my revision with BCBS.

A lot depends on medical issues you have from past WLS or morbid comorbitities.

Even with high BP, diabetes, and sleep apnea, they hesitsted and wanted me to do 6 month trial diet first.

After my Dr. clarified I had severe Gerd and was sick many times a week that put me in the hospital a few times, and revision was the only fix, they approved right away.

Good luck

nida
on 9/15/16 4:26 pm

Thanks so much for the information. My BMI is 44 and I had no issue until now. Gerd and I have a hernia. My blood pressure was elevates in pass visits

WW0747
on 9/15/16 3:16 pm
RNY on 08/01/16

I had a revision with BCBS as well. I had lapband removed and converted to RNY. My band slipped and I had co-morbidities. Good luck with the process. I started in Jan 16, lapband removed in April 16, and RNY in August. 

nida
on 9/15/16 4:46 pm

Hey WW0747

Well congrats are in order.I hope I'll be so lucky... If you don't mind what is co-morbidities? And who tells you what the insurance company needs. Your medical doctor or the surgeon?

WW0747
on 9/15/16 8:06 pm
RNY on 08/01/16

Thank you. Co-morbidities are other health issues that may be related to obesity. Diabetes, high blood pressure, and sleep apnea are examples. 

nida
on 9/15/16 9:51 pm

Thanks for the break down. LOL... Gerd and hernia are the only thing that I know of. All the test are good maybe twice my b/p was elevated. I was thinking about self pay. I'm confused I don't want to go through all the test and the other things you have to do to get approval and You hear you've been denied by the insurance company. I was told not to call the insurance company. I'm lost who is suppose to guide me thru this my medical doctor?

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 9/15/16 4:41 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

Every insurance plan is different, so your best bet is to call customer service (use the phone number on the back of the card) and find out what exactly is included with your particular coverage.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

nida
on 9/15/16 4:52 pm

Hey Julie I would love to but was told not to by the nurses in my surgeon office. I don't want to mess anything up.

JaxLiving
on 9/15/16 7:12 pm - Spanish Fort, AL
RNY on 05/27/16

I was a self-payer lapband to RNY because my BC/BS of Alabama policy covers only one WLS per lifetime -- no matter what. Although the I didn't take advantage of it, my surgeon's office offers a payment program. You might want to check on that if your insurance doesn't cover it.

SW:223, CW: 134.2; GW: 125, RNY: 5/27/16

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 562 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 327 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 453 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 367 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Monday Menu?