Update - RNY Sept 16th

Novella
on 9/21/16 7:47 pm

Hello everyone! Had surgery on Sept 16th (Friday) and released on Sunday. No complications other than O2 levels were too low to send me home in the morning. I have to say the pain from gas was the worst for me, in my shoulders! I couldn't get comfortable to sleep (sleep on my tummy) and I just wanted to sleep all the time. Ab pain was managed however I refused narcotics so I probably suffered more than I needed to but my digestive tract doesn't handle narctoics well. I was in recovery for 4 hours (sleep apnea and later found out the ****tail to avoid severe nausea post OR) was to keep me sedated to avoid nausea and vomiting. I had a drain JP I think, that was removed just before I was released. I don't have an appetite and my full fluids diet is not being followed to the T. Beneprotein is disgusting, the smell of it in anything is very noticeable. Actually, question for post op RNYErs... Did your sense of smell increase dramatically? I'm going to make more protein shakes with Greek yogurt. That I can stomach. LOL can't believe I just typed that! That, I can pouch! Everyday gets better, I'm only 5 days post op and will try harder to follow the diet, in terms of getting all that in my pouch. I bought an abdominal wrap for sleeping. Gives me more comfort when either moving to get comfortable and getting in and out of bed.

i hope all those who have recently had their tool in place are recovering well! Take care!

49yr Woman » |5'5"| HW 244 | CW 158 | GW 145 | SD 09/16

Pre-op-20lb M1-25lb M2-10 M3-6lb M4-7lb M5-7lb M6-3lb M7-2lb M8-2lb M9-3lb

CJ On Orcas
on 9/21/16 8:20 pm
RNY on 09/09/16

Glad to read your post.  My surgery went much as yours.  4-hour recovery, severe nausea.  I spent two days also, extra night was for low O2.

Work hard to get the liquids in.  Beneprotein they gave me in hospital was disgusting.  I could not even swallow it.  Recommend premier protein chocolate or pop for the unjury unflavored.  I bought unflavored and chicken flavor.  Unflavored dissolves into greek yogurt.. And the chicken protein broth is a nice change from all that sweet. I am easily getting more than 60 grams protein between those four options. Well worth the money.

Welcome home and good healing!

selhard
on 9/21/16 8:46 pm - MN
RNY on 11/26/12

I second Cjonorcas's recommendation for the Unjury brand protein powder because it is 100% whey protein isolate (keyword isolate), mixes well, and tolerated by many.  The website is www.unjury.com and my customer service experience exceeded expectations.  

selhard
on 9/21/16 8:41 pm, edited 9/21/16 9:10 pm - MN
RNY on 11/26/12

Hello to you, too. I was given an abdominal wrap in the hospital and advised to wear the binder both day and night for up to six weeks (highly recommend wearing one post-op). Sense of smell/taste and or pain levels weren't any different but I think things get less sensitive with age (in my 50's).  Protein powders were quite tolerable for me scoring a lot of give-a-way powders at support group meetings (an idea for your Beneprotein). A friendly suggestion to be strict with proper water intake for now (the rest you can work up to in time.)  Happy Healing.

CJ On Orcas
on 9/21/16 8:49 pm
RNY on 09/09/16

Where can I get one of those abdominal wraps?  Right away?  That is my biggest problem... Huge belly that hurts like hell every time I do anything, including, well, everything!  It sounds like heaven.

Teena D.
on 9/22/16 3:46 am - Oshawa, Canada
RNY on 01/12/17

Found this on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Abdominal-Binder-Hernia-Reduction-Dev ice/dp/B002STW8UQ

but maybe you could check with your hospital or centre first? 

RNY Jan 12, 2017 Lost 137 lbs but regained 60.

77 lbs lost and counting!

Losing the regain! I got this!

selhard
on 9/22/16 4:05 am - MN
RNY on 11/26/12

My local Walmart carries binders but don't know the quality. Medical staff in your area should be your best resource; binders are a common use thing in hospitals.  The reasons the Center for Weight Management gave me for wearing a binder was to help prevent hernias, reduce stress on the incisions/abdominal wall, and for comfort/security when moving.  Again, highly recommend wearing this velcro-closing abdominal wrap that dries fast after a washing. Until you get a binder, a suggestion would be to hold a pillow tightly against you when straining your middle (such as getting up/down or having a bowel movement) and a pillow might very well be all a younger or more fit person needs??.  Lastly, please suggest to your medical staff how valuable some WLS patients think an abdominal binder is in hopes they may consider this as a new protocol for, at least, the older or higher BMI patients.  

White Dove
on 9/22/16 4:31 am - Warren, OH

I got one at the medical supply store and insurance paid.  Binders used to be given at the hospital but that stopped to save money.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Novella
on 9/22/16 8:49 am

I bought mine at a medical supply store.

49yr Woman » |5'5"| HW 244 | CW 158 | GW 145 | SD 09/16

Pre-op-20lb M1-25lb M2-10 M3-6lb M4-7lb M5-7lb M6-3lb M7-2lb M8-2lb M9-3lb

WW0747
on 9/21/16 9:01 pm
RNY on 08/01/16

Congrats on surgery! I started using Unjury protein and love it. My sense of smell is off the charts. I actually unplugged my air freshners because they were too strong at the lowest setting. 

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 50 replies · 514 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 473 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 425 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 46 replies · 427 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 321 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?