Hunger, Carb Creep and Stress

Heavens2Betsy
on 9/27/16 12:32 pm
RNY on 02/29/16

Hi All,  I've been super busy lately and haven't been around much.  We gave up our bigger house (via a short sale) and moved into a small trailer home, I've gone back to school full time (which is a trip being around a bunch of 18 yr. olds all the time!), and our money situation is still stressful.  My weight loss has slowed down in part because we moved too far away into the boonies and i had to give up my gym membership.  Plus, the dreaded carbs have creeped back into my life due to all the extra stress and my inability to be that strong!  Since we're in the middle of nowhere now, our internet connection is slow and fickle, which is no help whatsoever!  We went for 2 weeks without even a phone when we moved in.  Ugh.  It took the dopes at CentruryLink that long to get their act together.  But, for now we have phone, internet and cable tv too!  So, I'm starting to adjust to being in a new place, new to community college (first time in 38 yrs!) and homework, and trying to be a good mom to my DD who's had some struggles with the move too.  Thank God for hubby, he's been our rock thru it all.  

I need to get back on MFP and track daily.  I need to cut out the carbs - they are making me hungry which is an awful seemingly endless loop I've gotten sucked into.  I imagine that cutting the carbs cold turkey is probably the best thing, but dang my tummy is growly.  Now that most of the major stress fires are put out, I have to just accept things as they are and be OK with it.

Has anybody else felt like their pouch is full, but their remnant stomach is what's feeling hungry?  I kinda feel that way sometimes.  It's very strange.  

Age: 55.  5' 8" SW 345 lbs.  RNY on 2/29/16 at UVA w/ Dr. Hallowell.     
Month 1 - 3/29/16: 319 (25 lbs. lost) | Month 2 - 4/27/16: 314 (5 lbs. lost) | 
Month 3 - 5/29/16: 303 (12 lbs. lost) | Month 4 - 6/28/16:  293 (10 lbs. lost)
Month 5 - 7/28/16: 289 (4 lbs lost) | Month 6 - 8/28/16: 282 (7 lbs. lost) |
Month 7 - 9/27/16: 278 (4 lbs lost)

RNY_elizabeth
on 9/27/16 12:56 pm - TX
RNY on 10/06/15

Every day is a new chance to start over right?  Sounds like you are getting back on the horse and going to get back after it.  Best wishes to you as you do!

Just before my surgery we downsized from a big (2400 sq feet) 2 story suburban dream house down to a ranch style little (1600 sq feet) house in a rural area. Uhg!  I feel ya on how stressful that can be. Also...we now live on a paved street with town sewage and water....but there is no CABLE?? We never even thought to check on such a thing because as city people we thought that was a given. Paved road...sewer...of course there is cable.  Le sigh...the joys of country living.

I have never felt like my remnant stomach is 'hungry'.  I don't think the physiology of our digestive system can work that way.  For me, I often have head hunger that I formerly thought was physical hunger. Keeping that difference in my head has been an ongoing process for me.  Some weeks I feel like I've licked it and other weeks I feel head hunger all darn day and could swear I just NEED to eat even though MFP is pretty clear that I have taken in enough calories to be just fine.

You can do it!

~E

Consultation weight: 265, Surgery date: 10/6/15, Goal: 150, Current weight: 129; 5'5, 46 years old

"I am basically food's creepy ex-girlfriend. I know we can't be together anymore but I just want to spend time hanging out" ~me, about why I love cooking so much post WLS

Grim_Traveller
on 9/27/16 1:17 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

Agreed on the remnant stomach. If you've eaten and still feel hungry, it's head hunger.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

H.A.L.A B.
on 9/27/16 12:57 pm

I lost my last 15 lbs of regain with virtually no exercise.  diet - that's how i lot the weight. 

I want to put on some weight - so I started exercise now... 

Vigorous exercise makes me hungry...

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

NYMom222
on 9/27/16 1:05 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

I get rumblies in my remnant pouch sometimes... don't know if it's hungry but it can be noisy.

Cold Turkey carbs is the best thing if food is feeling out of place and things aren't working for you. See 5 day meat test in my signature line. Great way to  ditch the carb monkey, and after 5 days can bring in some veggies.

Support is important... find time to jump on here- even if there is a time limit.

Exercise doesn't have to be the gym. Wrong mindset. Nice if you like it, but not necessary. Some people lose all their weight with no exercise, it is what you put in your mouth that will make you lose the weight. Turn on some music and have a dance party with your daughter or while you are cooking dinner. I used to set the timer in the beginning for 30 minutes and dance around my kitchen. Take a walk after dinner with daughter and/or hubby. Park farther at school and walk... little things help...moving our bodies does make us feel better....

You have been through a huge transition... be kind to yourself by getting back on track....

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

Lovely_Caprice
on 9/27/16 2:03 pm

Don't get discouraged, you have come a long way.  You have done so well.  You can do this!

karenp8
on 9/27/16 4:35 pm - Brighton, IL

I am on here everyday unless I have no Internet acess,even if only long enough to post my weight and my menu for the day. I think that accountability keeps my food choices in the front of my mind and has helped me lose over 150 pounds and keep it off over three years. I step on a scale every single day too and have never been to a gym. The only exercise I do is daily walks with my dog. Taking extra steps is easy by parking farther away and taking steps and not elevators. You know what you need to do so now is the time to cut the carbs which are making you feel hungry and get back on track. The farther out from surgery you get the harder it is to lose the weight. Don't waste another Day! Make the next choice a great one. You can do this if you set your mind to It! Come see us on the daily menu post too--it really helps.

Laura in Texas
on 9/27/16 5:07 pm

If you live in the boonies, there must be great hiking paths. Get a fitness tracker and start walking. It will not help you lose weight, but it will make your heart healthier. You will feel better physically and mentally. Win win!!

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 481 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 441 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 46 replies · 443 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 394 views