Reflux

Ereiam
on 10/9/16 7:15 am
RNY on 05/16/16

One of the reasons I chose RNY was because I had acid reflux and Barrett's esophagus. I've been taking. Prilosec twice a day as my doctor told me. He said I would be able to wean off it at some point. 

So I took about a month and weaned off of it and haven't had any problems Except twice I've woken up at night with reflux. Both times I knew I had over eaten and went to bed uncomfortable. So I know I made some poor choices about food and this is now a greater incentive to eat the right amounts. But how is reflux even possible after RNY? The basic anatomy of the surgery seems like it would make reflux impossible.

SW: 270 CW: 181.4 GW: 165

RNY 5/16/16

BE NOT AFRAID JPII

Karen9849
on 10/9/16 7:45 am

I'm also curious about this.  I was told by my Surgeon to consider the RNY due to severe reflux.  I'm almost a month out and I'm taking medicine that I'm told is temporary.   However,  I get reflux  daily and have not noticed it getting any better or less frequent.  I'm really hoping to be free of this soon.

RNY 9/14/16  - Start Weight 192, Goal Weight 125

Patty R.
on 10/9/16 7:46 am - Harrisville, RI
RNY on 09/08/16

Before my band slip was proven by CT scan(long story) I was told I was over eating and the food was staying in my little stomach to long, splashing up when I would lie down. 

Could this be something similar?

Whatever the cause, it sucks!!

H.A.L.A B.
on 10/9/16 8:08 am

I wish I had an answer. 

I never had GERD before RNY. Post op RNY I have been on PPI for almost all the time. I had a few months here and there that I did not use them. In a mean time I developed Barrett esophagus...small % but still

My docs and I are are really confused about that.  There is not reason why I should get that...and all tests show that my esophageal sphincter works great, no back ups.. Yet I had acid errosion and inflamation of unknown cause. 

It may be food allergies, it may be medication, it may be bacterial (that we are not sure what - not h-pylori)

Stop eating that late... And if you do - try to drink a lot of liquids just before bed to try to wash the food out of the pouch... 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Ereiam
on 10/9/16 8:30 am
RNY on 05/16/16

Of course I'm not glad you have gerd but glad I'm not crazy. I think I'll try going back on the Prilosec for now. And eating before bed is definitely a problem. If I eat slider foods like yogurt I seem to be okay, but otherwise yuck!

SW: 270 CW: 181.4 GW: 165

RNY 5/16/16

BE NOT AFRAID JPII

H.A.L.A B.
on 10/9/16 9:09 am, edited 10/12/16 2:15 am

If I eat late - I do try to eat nut butters... They have the combination of fat carbs and proteins... But still I try to make sure I stop at least 1 hour before bed... 2 hours works better. And drink a lot of water. 

I also noticed some meds have fillers that makes my pouch burns.. If you switched meds - or got different generic.0, check that.

I.e. some of generic meds use SLS as a filler/recipient (SLS "opens" the cell wall)  I found out the hard way that I can't use that. Any new generic meds I take now - I have to check the detailed ingredients to make sure I can take them. (most pharmacies I.e Costco - they change often where they get the generics from) 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

NYMom222
on 10/9/16 8:35 am
RNY on 07/23/14

I did not have GERD before surgery. I was finally able to wean myself off PPI after 2 years...having my hernia repaired and a couple of tries... When it acts up I take the PPI for a wee****il things calm down, and then wean myself again. Yes what I ate effects it coming back....

My allergist/pulmonologist pre-WLS thought I might have something he called 'hidden GERD' and that was causing my sinus issues. The test required to test this was too difficult for me to agree doing it... so I never found out. (24 hours with a tube down my nose to my stomach- No- My gag reflex is strong)

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

stacyrg
on 10/10/16 9:16 am
VSG on 05/12/14

I had the 24 hour pH study before my conversion to RNY.  Worst 24 hours of my life.  It started with a manometry test where the stuck a thick probe down my nose into my stomach then they advanced it further in as they were having me swallow water and apple sauce on command.  Horrid.  It turns out that because of the acid I had, my swallowing ability had all but disappeared.  Of the 8 water swallows, I failed ALL OF THEM.  Because of the acid, the only reason I can still swallow is gravity.  They then removed that sensor and inserted the smaller one that stayed in for 24 hours.  When i left, they told me to (1) go about my normal day (as if!); and (2) eat food that would cause acid.  I had a hard time eating or drinking anything and ended up in bed by 7.  Was back at the dr. before 8 the next morning to get the thing removed.

I know this has absolutely nothing to do with your original question (sorry about that!) but Cynthia's reply brought back memories!!!

NYMom222
on 10/10/16 10:13 am
RNY on 07/23/14

That is OK! You just confirmed the exact reason I refused to have it done.....

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

catwoman7
on 10/9/16 8:58 am
RNY on 06/03/15

it usually resolves GERD, but not always.   It pretty much resolved it for me.  I used to have reflux issues every day - since surgery, I think I've only had it 3 or 4 times.

RNY 06/03/15 by Michael Garren (Madison, WI)

HW: 373 SW: 316 GW: 150 LW: 138 CW: 163

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 532 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 514 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 396 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 25 replies · 242 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 125 views