Protein Shake need help! Thanks in advance!

Softballgal73
on 10/26/16 9:00 am

I am 5 yr post op with VGS. Revision upcoming in Dec. due to reflux. I am doing all of the preparation work, freezing up broth etc. I have got to find a protein drink that will stick with me for the 2 week liquid diet post-op. Most of the ones I have tried make me SO SICK. I had to take immodium to stop the sickness when I recently tried a Premier Protein shake. I don't believe I am lactose intolerant, but I guess it is possible. I have also read about Whey not agreeing with some. I have got to start testing some out that I can use. Need one that wont act as a colon cleanser on me. Any ideas?? 

Thanks! 

siberiancat
on 10/26/16 9:07 am - COLUMBIA CITY, IN

I use Blue Bonnet Whey Isolate protein powder.  It has stevia for the sweetner - not Splenda.  I buy chocolate and vanilla in big tubs from Amazon.  I use it for hot and cold protein drinks.

I'm 7+ years out from RNY and a specalist wanted me to limit chemical sweetners and dieticians approved the Blue Bonnet.  It is pricy but I've been using it daily (for my hot breakfast protein drink) for about 4 years.

Best wishes,

Penny

Penny
Highest Weight 255  * Wt loss includes 19 lb lost before surgery

H.A.L.A B.
on 10/26/16 9:07 am

Over the years I developed allergies to dairy and soy.. so most of the protein drinks were not good for me. 

you may be allergic - be sensitive to whey.. or it may be the additives they add to the shakes - color - flavor and artificial sweeteners. 

Unless you are allergic to soy - try soy based protein drinks.

I found a few that I not only could tolerate but also I liked them:

Orgain - plant based protein drinks. 

Vega and vega sport - plant based protein drinks

Egg white protein drinks..

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

pammieanne
on 10/26/16 9:08 am - OK
RNY on 05/16/16

The top protein shakes that my doctor recommended to me were:

Bariatric Advantage

Chike

(Both of these, he sells, I liked neither, but maybe they'll work better for you)

Syntrax Nectar (you can buy a sample pack of all their flavors on Amazon for a pretty good price, and many of these mix well with water, to help with lactose issues)

Isopure

There are more, I'm sure... but those are all 100% Whey Protein Isolate, and according to my doctor, the better choice. 

Opinions on taste are so subjective... you'll just have to try them till you find something that works for you.

Good Luck!

Height 5'5" HW 260 SW 251 CW 141.6 (2/27/18)

RNY 5-16-16 Pre-Op 9lbs, M1-18.5lbs, M2-18.1lbs, M3-14.8lbs, M4-10.4lbs, M5-9.2lbs, M6-7lbs, M7-6.2lbs, M8-8.8lbs,M9-7.8lbs, M10-1 lb, M11-.6lbs, M12-4.4lbs

CJ On Orcas
on 10/26/16 9:32 am
RNY on 09/09/16

I use Orgain, Syntrax and Unjury, both the unflavored and chicken broth flavor.  The Orgain is a plant based protein powder.

stacyrg
on 10/26/16 10:45 am
VSG on 05/12/14

I revised to RNY from VSG on 7/1.  I had a horrible time with protein shakes my first time around and was dreading it.  After surgery and on the recommendation of friends, I tried the Quest protein.  It didn't cause me any problems, even though I became lactose intolerant after revision.  The only caveat is that the shakes are not 100% whey isolate so I don't count 100% of the protein as absorbed.  

NYMom222
on 10/26/16 5:40 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

!00% whey protein isolate is lactose free, while the concentrate isn't. We also absorb it the best. I like Premier but don't count the full 30g of protein as I know I am not absorbing all of it. Jay Robb brand uses Stevia. Also Bodylogix is made with stevia. I lately have been using the Syntrax, and I like that you can get some non-chocolate/vanilla flavors. Have been enjoying fuzzy navel.

If you but at GNC or Vitamin Shoppe you can trysome  and return within 30 days if you don't like it. With a receipt-- GNC will give you a full refund, and Vitamin Shoppe will give you store credit. I find Vitamin Shoppe has a bigger selection, and has some single serve size packs for trying...

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

Deanna798
on 10/26/16 5:50 pm
RNY on 08/04/15

I do like Quest, personally. If you haven't tried it, pick up a single serving pack at GNC, it's tasty.  I hope you find what you're looking for.

Age: 44 | Height: 5' 3" | Starting January 2015: 291 | RNY 8/4/15 with Dr. Arthur Carlin| Goal: 150

Listen to advice and accept discipline, and at the end you will be counted among the wise. ~Proverbs 19:20

mrich612
on 10/28/16 11:06 am - Carson, CA

I just had my revision on the 13h and hate shakes I only can tolerate the Isopure fruit drinks my favorite is grape frost the only one I really like you can try them at GNC a little pricy they have 40 grams of protein hope this helps.

Softballgal73
on 10/28/16 1:09 pm

That is very helpful information. Thanks!

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 530 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 462 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 343 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 170 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 17 replies · 327 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?