Spicy Caramel Sweet Potatoes and Apples -- experimenting for Thanksgiving

gbarron56
on 11/5/16 4:44 pm
RNY on 10/20/16

Hello everyone --  been experimenting in the kitchen a bit for sugar free alternatives for Thanksgiving. If I do say so myself, this is delicious and every bit as good as my family's traditional candied sweet potatoes!

2 sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed

2 apples, cubed (I left skin on and used honeycrisp)

1 t. cinnamon

1 T. butter

2 T. Pyure Sweetser

2 T Torani SF Caramel flavoring syrup

1 c. water

The sweet potatoes cooked faster than the apples so I would cut them a little larger next time. melt the butter in a saute pan. add sweet potatoes and apples, cook for about 5 minutes. add remaining ingredients and simmer until potatoes and apples are done and the liquids have cooked down to a light syrup. if the syrup gets too thick before they are done, add a bit more water, 1/4 cup at a time. Enjoy!

when I ran the numbers on MFP, I came up with the following: makes approximately 6 - 1/3 cup servings, 86 calories, 1.8 g. fat, 6.4 g. all natural sugar, 2.6 g. fiber, 

Gretchen Barron

HW 410; SW 378, RNY October 20, 2016

Monthly WL: M1=40 lbs; M2=28 lbs; M3=18 lbs; M4=8 lbs; M5=12 lbs;

The Salty Hag
on 11/5/16 6:24 pm
RNY on 05/20/13

My first instinct would be no, not this year. 

I worry about the sweet potatoes being too starchy. One small serving might be okay, but way less than 1/3 cup, and only if you have room after protein-and not more than maybe 3 servings over the days following Turkey Day. 

I woke up in between a memory and a dream...

Tom Petty

Grim_Traveller
on 11/6/16 4:22 am
RNY on 08/21/12

I'm with Audrey. That's just a giant bowl of carbs. It may have less sugar than the usual recipe, but still not a good choice at all.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

White Dove
on 11/6/16 5:25 am - Warren, OH

I would not eat these during weight loss stage.  This is a great recipe to use during maintenance, but while losing weight it is better to avoid the high carb dishes and eat protein and only non-starchy vegetables.

I did not eat apples or any form of potato until a year after reaching my goal.  For holiday meals at my house I am fine if a family member or friend wants to contribute candied sweet potatoes, but I am not going to eat them.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

hollykim
on 11/6/16 8:42 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On November 5, 2016 at 11:44 PM Pacific Time, gbarron56 wrote:

Hello everyone --  been experimenting in the kitchen a bit for sugar free alternatives for Thanksgiving. If I do say so myself, this is delicious and every bit as good as my family's traditional candied sweet potatoes!

2 sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed

2 apples, cubed (I left skin on and used honeycrisp)

1 t. cinnamon

1 T. butter

2 T. Pyure Sweetser

2 T Torani SF Caramel flavoring syrup

1 c. water

The sweet potatoes cooked faster than the apples so I would cut them a little larger next time. melt the butter in a saute pan. add sweet potatoes and apples, cook for about 5 minutes. add remaining ingredients and simmer until potatoes and apples are done and the liquids have cooked down to a light syrup. if the syrup gets too thick before they are done, add a bit more water, 1/4 cup at a time. Enjoy!

when I ran the numbers on MFP, I came up with the following: makes approximately 6 - 1/3 cup servings, 86 calories, 1.8 g. fat, 6.4 g. all natural sugar, 2.6 g. fiber, 

sugar is sugar, "natural" sugar makes no difference to the body. 

As long as you give your body sugar to use as energy, your body will not break down your stored fat and weight loss will stop or slow. 

The real decision is what do you want more? A third a cup of carbs or long term and lasting weight loss and better ongoing health?

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 11/6/16 8:58 am - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14 with

I would not eat this during the weight loss phase & probably not in maintenance. There are just way too many carbs in this 1 sitting.

No one surgery is better than the other, what works for one may not work for another. T-Rebel

https://fivedaymeattest.com/

CJ On Orcas
on 11/24/16 1:55 pm
RNY on 09/09/16

Thanks for this!  I made it for my family and jist switched the syrup fo the brown sugar cinnamon syrup.  I had a hard time finding it, had to scroll through a lot of posts!  Happy Thanksgiving!

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 533 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 523 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 407 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 263 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 126 views
Recent Topics