Surgery Date December 15th!

smiles4u22
on 11/18/16 3:28 pm - Lugoff, SC

Good evening!

I am so excited about my December 15th surgery date!  It's finally here!  Would you mind sharing what you did nutrition-wise so I can be better prepared for my arrival home from the hospital.  Any comments or suggestions you can share with me is greatly appreciated!  Thank you!  Ps.  I would love to hear your success stories, too!

karenp8
on 11/18/16 5:26 pm - Brighton, IL

How Exciting! Your day is almost here. I had my RNY surgery early on a Thursday morning and spent one night in the hospital,coming home in the afternoon on Friday. I had very little pain and didn't use anything more than Tylenol post surgery. I will admit though that I have a high pain threshold since I've had rheumatoid arthritis for 30 plus years. I was walking in the hall within 11/2 hours after surgery. I took very little to the hospital with me because I didn't expect to be there long. Make sure to have a pillow in the car for your ride home to protect your stomach from the seat belt. Don't be surprised if you have lots of bruising--I looked like I'd been on the losing end of a fight because they give you heparin shots to reduce the risk of blood clots,and they frequently cause bruising. I had been overweight my whole life even as a child. My highest weight per a doctor was 273. I had daily knee and back pain,high cholesterol and triglycerides,diabetes and uncontrolled high blood pressure on three pills. I was winded going down my basement steps. I wore a tight size 28 in pants. My original goal of 165 honestly seemed unattainable,but I passed it fairly quickly and kept going. I continued to follow my surgeons and at 9 months weighed 120 pounds,which is the bottom range of a normal bmi for my height. I have weighed between 117 and 123 for the last 31/2 years now. I no longer have diabetes,high cholesterol and triglycerides and am off all meds for these things. My blood pressure is great now on one low dose blood pressure pill. I walk 3 plus miles every day for fun and am having more fun than I ever thought possible. I get called tiny and never worry whether a chair will hold my weight or if I will fit comfortably in a booth. I now wear a size 0 or 1 and an XS in tops. I feel better at 57 than I did at 27! My surgery was the best decision I ever made. A before and after to follow. Weight 272 in the before and 117 in the after.  

smiles4u22
on 11/19/16 5:49 am - Lugoff, SC

Hi, Karen!

Thank you for sharing your success and advice with me!  I weigh the same as you now and I am going to make myself start walking today in my neighborhood in preparation for the surgery.  When your knees hurt it is so hard to get motivated to do anything!  The weight  of 165 is a goal for me as well and to hear your journey of achieving an even lower weight gives me such hope and excitement!  I would love to be called "Tiny" for once in my life!  lol  I also enjoyed your pics before and after.  You look amazing!  Keep up the good work maintaining!  So proud of you!

The six month journey to get to my surgery date has flown by and I am excited to go to my pre-op appointment on November 30th.  That is when reality will start sinking in!  I am a bit nervous about the liquid diet prior to the surgery but will do what I have to do!  Thank you so very much for sharing!  If you think of anything else you wish to share, please do!  I will post my "defining moment" pic that pushed me to look into bariatric surgery and post them along my journey.  Have a great day!

karenp8
on 11/19/16 6:00 am - Brighton, IL

The liquid diet is the hardest part for certain but just keep remembering why you are doing this and seeing that before picture and your goal in mind and you'll get  thru  it just fine. My before picture lives on my frig to help me keep making the choices I  need to maintain my weight each and every day.

smiles4u22
on 11/19/16 6:11 am - Lugoff, SC

Thank you!  I will remember that!  I need to print out my pic to keep on the fridge! lol

cc583
on 11/18/16 6:28 pm - Middletown, CT
VSG on 09/28/16

Congrats on your upcoming date! Whoo hoo! :)

When I arrived home from the hospital I was on a strictly liquid diet for about 2 1/2 weeks****il my first post surgery follow up appointment). I had plenty of sugar free jello cups, sugar free ice pops, chicken & beef broth, protein shakes(make sure you have a variety of different kinds because your tastes change after surgery). I had premier protein, syntrax nectar falvors, dymatize and isopure banana, vanilla yogurt(flavor was per dr orders. Keep in mind that your surgeon may have you on different items.

I am almost 2 months out and have lost close to 40lbs post op and 65lbs total. It's been very slow the last 4 weeks as I've been on a stall. Can't wait for it to kick back in.

Good luck with everything. You will learn so much stuff here. People are brutally honest but that's what helps everyone be successful.

5'5" HW: 484, SW: 455,CW: 325

Surgeon, Darren Tishler

smiles4u22
on 11/19/16 5:57 am - Lugoff, SC

Thank you, cc583.

Good job on your journey!  Makes me excited to have my surgery!  That is great that you have lost 65 pounds in two months!  I knew of a lady in our support group that lost that much in 6 months with the gastric sleeve.  Super!!  I appreciated you sharing what you had to eat during that time.  I love sugar free ice pops and jello!  Bet I will get tired of those!  lol

Have a great day and feel free to share with me along your journey!  Kudos on your great success!  :-)

Peanut15
on 11/18/16 9:12 pm

Congrats 

smiles4u22
on 11/19/16 5:57 am - Lugoff, SC

Thank you, Peanut!

conazza
on 11/19/16 7:59 am
RNY on 09/23/16

Congratulations! I'd have a variety of shakes on hand because after surgery your tastes may change. I also was very happy to have unjury chicken soup and unflavored protein so I didn't always have to have something sweet. Best wishes to you on your journey.  

Lap band: 2006. Revision to RNY 9/23/2016

8/2/17: Goal Reached: 135lbs. & 115lbs lost (5'3")

Pre-op: 250, SW 242, CW 125, GW 135

Pre-op: 9lb M1: 20lb M2: 11.5lb M3: 11.9 M4: 13.4 M5: 10.8 M6: 10.2 M7: 8.1 M8: 8.4 M9: 6.5 M10: 5.7 M11: 3.5 M12: 4.3

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 411 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 357 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 419 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 405 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 2 replies · 10 views
Recent Topics