weight loss at a standstill

Eve1973
on 12/9/16 12:37 pm

Hi all, 

I went from lapband to RNY in 2010, in November of this year I had the Apollo Overstitch to re tighten my enlarged stoma, they took me from a 20mm to 8mm.  I have a lot of restriction and have been on mostly liquids since, I have lost 14 lbs,  now I am at a standstill, I am getting about 500- to maybe at best 550-600 calories in a day and I have not lost anymore weight!!

I am jotting everything I put in my mouth, I take my vitamins, I go to Zumba, the only thing I am not doing as well is the water intake but can that stall my weightloss?  The doc recommended I try to get in 900 calories but physically I cannot.

Any ideas or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Eve

H.A.L.A B.
on 12/9/16 1:07 pm

continue doing what you are doing. You will lose weight. You're in a temporary stall - you body is adjusting to the changes. 

be patient. 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

kempgirl
on 12/9/16 1:45 pm

make sure you are measuring yourself also.....there were times when I would stall but still lose inches.

cc583
on 12/9/16 3:38 pm - Middletown, CT
VSG on 09/28/16

I just came off of a 4week stall and I know it's very frustrating! My doctor suggested that I increase my protein and calories.  Within two days I started to lose weight again. Just keep the faith and the weight will come off. 

5'5" HW: 484, SW: 455,CW: 325

Surgeon, Darren Tishler

Eve1973
on 12/9/16 3:59 pm

Thank you all! It's soo weird to hear increase calories lol...I'm like isn't that what put here to begin with. I'm going to try my best to try to get more calories in....it's soo hard I'm not really hungry and when I do eat I'm full super fast!

I think I am losing inches though my close are looser..yay!

Laura in Texas
on 12/9/16 4:14 pm

In my not-so-humble opinion, you should NOT increase your calories. "Starvation Mode" is a myth. You are in a stall. Be patient and you will begin losing again. Learn good habits now to help you lose the weight you want to lose.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

Brandi Girl
on 12/9/16 5:13 pm
WLS on 10/18/11

I have to say I 100% agree with Laura from Texas! Allowing yourself or worse yet forcing yourself to eat more is a bad habit to get "back into"!! You are at a stall. They always happen and will always happen at some point but it is IMPOSSIBLE for you to not lose weight at eating 500 calories per day! It will happen. Hang in there. Maybe change the types of food you are eating and see if that makes a difference? I got off a stale once early on by cutting dairy out of my diet. I seen the scale fall after I did this. I eventually added it back in but for a while it was what my body needed to give it a kick start.

White Dove
on 12/9/16 7:11 pm - Warren, OH

Losing weight again  is a long, slow process.  You will be doing great if you stay at 700-800 calories and lose a pound a week.  Just figure out how many weeks it will take.  Increasing calories will make it take longer.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Eve1973
on 12/9/16 7:42 pm

Thank you all...it's tough but I can do it! I need to stay focused and not get discouraged. 

Ladytazz
on 12/9/16 7:56 pm

It sounds like you are doing all the right things so keep doing them.  The only change I would suggest is to get rid of the scale.  Weighing yourself often will only depress you.  weighing yourself weekly or even twice a week is more likely to show you a loss and not leave you feeling so depressed.

The weight loss phase is one of the most difficult parts of the process.  We all want to have the surgery and get up the next morning and be thin but of course it doesn't work that way.  It just takes patience and I don't know about you but patience isn't one of my long suits.

I was one who did weigh myself daily while losing, in fact I weighed myself twice a day, one when I got up and once before I went to bed.  But I told myself that if I ever started to let the scale control me and my emotions that it would go.

If you continue doing what you are doing you will lose weight.  It may not come off as fast as you'd like but it never does.

If I can give one more piece of unsolicited advice I would advise you to stick as close as you can to your food plan during the losing phase and avoid all refined carbs at least through the first year.  They serve no purpose at all other than to slow your weight loss and now is the time to set the tone for your continued weight loss and maintenance.  

I waited until I lost all the weight and even went lower before I started deviating from my food plan or experimenting with different foods and I completely avoided refined carbs and things with gluten for over 5 years.  I only started allowing some things in after I determined that it wouldn't cause any negative reactions because after my first WLS I would get bad gas and bloating from eating refined carbs.

I have found that as long as I continued to follow the guidelines of eating dense carbs first that didn't have much room or desire for much of anything else.  

But this was long after I had been maintaining and felt more secure in my ability to make good choices.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 486 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 444 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 46 replies · 453 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 395 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 110 views
Forum Search Error & 404