Almost Two Months Post-Surgery

sumaire
on 12/19/16 10:45 am

Had my RnY on October 27th, and everything went very well.

My surgeon did a fantastic job. He not only did the RnY, but also repaired "a substantial hernia" (his words) in the process, which he managed to complete in only 2 hours.

I have had absolutely no complications in the nearly 2 months since my surgery. I'm down 36 pounds as of my surgery day.

My daughter is still being moody about things, and feels that I somehow betrayed her by getting the surgery against her wishes. I can't get her to understand that this was about me and my health, and had nothing to do with her, except maybe being able to live longer, so I could spend more time with her. She's stubborn, but she's just going to have to deal.

I keep a 40oz Hydroflask water bottle next to me all the time, so there is no reason I'm not getting in all the wall I'm supposed to on a daily basis. I take Flintstone's Complete, Caltrate Calcium and Vitamin D3 Plus Minerals, and Protonix (which my surgeon wants me to take for a year post-surgery to minimize the chance of ulcers while everything is healing up), every day. I'm using an Apple Watch and the Round app to remind me of when to take everything.

My knees and back aren't hating on me anywhere near as much as they once did, which is wonderful. I don't need my cane constantly, which is amazing to me, after having to keep it with me for the past few years. I know it's not going to make my arthritis go away, but if I can minimize further damage, I can live with that.

If I had to do this again, I'd do it in a heartbeat.

Well, 36 pounds down, and 125 to go!

Roux en Y on 10/27/2016

HW 300 SW 284 CW 158 (4-26-2018)

Go_Zippy
on 12/19/16 11:01 am
RNY on 10/20/16

Great job Sumaire! I had my surgery on 10/20 and am down 26 lbs, slower than anticipated but like you I'm loving the changes. I had a hernia repair during my surgery too and haven't had any complications so far. It's amazing how much easier it is on the knees and back having lost some weight. I hope your daughter is able to see the positive changes in your health and be accepting of the changes - you made the right decision in taking care of yourself. Best of luck on the continuing journey!

Terri

5'5" HW: 348.5, SW: 311.2, CW: 254.6

Deanna798
on 12/19/16 11:05 am
RNY on 08/04/15

Congrats on the progress.  Try not to feel too bad about your daughters reaction to your surgery. Sometimes other people have a harder time adjusting to our new lifestyle and focus than we do.  Hopefully she'll see the positive changes and get over it, either way you had surgery for you, not for her.  

Age: 44 | Height: 5' 3" | Starting January 2015: 291 | RNY 8/4/15 with Dr. Arthur Carlin| Goal: 150

Listen to advice and accept discipline, and at the end you will be counted among the wise. ~Proverbs 19:20

(deactivated member)
on 12/19/16 11:05 am

Yay!!!  Off to a great start!  Keep up the good work!

Mahalo F.
on 12/19/16 12:09 pm, edited 12/19/16 4:10 am

Hello Sumaire

Congratulations on your weight loss!

Wow surgery went well! Woo hoo!

I am not sure why your daughter is upset.

I can understand your daughter being upset about

your decision to have the RNY.  Our loved ones worry about all the complications that could happen.

BUT your surgery went well.  You are doing well...

She should be proud of you and all you are willing to do to achieve better health.

Good for you! The next time she says something ?

Tell her that you've spent a life time looking after everyone else.

Now it's time to take care of yourself!

Good luck and keep up the great work!

Thank you

Mahalo

Roux En Y - Jan. 4, 2017

HW 283 SW 260 CW 165

IN THE END WE ONLY REGRET CHANCES WE DIDN'T TAKE.

(deactivated member)
on 12/19/16 1:02 pm

Congrats!  You're my RNY twin (October 24).  I had the same experience and everything has gone great!  You're daughter needs to chill!  My oldest son was against it but he's now thrilled (sees the difference).  My arthritic joints are 95% better and I haven't taken a pain pill in 6 weeks!

You're Round app looks promising!  I'll try it out.  Do you use Workout on your watch.  I love it too.

Jeff

Scififiend
on 12/19/16 2:58 pm
RNY on 10/11/16

Way to go!

I love the Round app! I got an Apple Watch the other day and discovered the app the same day. I'm finally remembering all my vitamins! I work nights with a frequently-changing schedule, so I love how I can visualize all the alerts and plan my alert windows for times that I'll be awake, whether I'm working or not. And the watch's Taptic means I'm reminded, even at work when my phone's sound is off and I'm too busy to look at my phone.

HW: 408, SW: 384, RNY: 10/11/16

sumaire
on 12/19/16 3:49 pm

I'd like to see more useful apps come to the Apple Watch.

I could have just used the series 1, but decided to get the series 2, as it's waterproof, as I'd like to have it when I have the chance to swim.

I keep my phone on silent mode. I think it's cool that I can have a conversation via my phone, if I don't want to pick up my phone, or wear a Bluetooth earpiece.

Roux en Y on 10/27/2016

HW 300 SW 284 CW 158 (4-26-2018)

H.A.L.A B.
on 12/19/16 3:49 pm

Your daughter is 33. Old enough to understand you needed help. 

How about teaching her a lesson? Like a silent treatment for her bring moody? Or ignoring her and be too busy when she needs you to do something for her? 

Congratulations on taking charge of your life. She should be happy and proud with - for you. 

Good luck. 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

aesposito
on 12/19/16 7:38 pm

Good job!

But I do feel obligated to warn you, Flintstones Completes contain almost nothing helpful for us in regular quantities... you would have to take more than double the recommended adult dose AND add things like magnesium citrate (or another easily absorbed form of magnesium), sublingual b12 (as our new stomachs lack the factor that can absorb the oral kind), a dozen other vitamins/minerals/iron, etc, etc....

Doctors often admit they recommend Flintstones because they feel we are too fat and lazy to follow real vitamin advice.  Buck the trend, fight the stereotype, and do your research on this forum to revamp your vitamin regimen .....

Proud of you!

Audrey

Highest weight: 340
Surgery weight: 313
Surgery date: 10/24/11
Current weight 170... 170 pounds lost!!!!

I am not a doctor, but I play one at work.

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 531 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 514 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 390 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 220 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 17 replies · 328 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?