Please help - gaining weight again ??

R. J
on 1/24/17 5:46 am
Hello All, hope you all are doing well. I had my gastric bypass surgery in august 2010. I lost weight and maintained it for 5 years. Earlier last year I became severe anemic and doctors gave me iron transfusions. Since I'm October/November and since then I'm gaining weight non stop. I am feeling hungry all the times and can't stop myself from eating. I was between 150-155 lbs for the last 5 years and today I'm 185.2 lbs. I'm active and do my workout regularly. I don't want to fail and go back to old me so please share your ideas and also If you had gone thru the same
Situation please share your experience and what helped you to get back on track. Thank you all in advance!

odie
on 1/24/17 6:39 am
RNY on 05/26/14

I recently regained 13 pounds and am almost 3 yrs out.  I went on a very high protein, almost nonexistent carb diet and the pounds are coming off.  Plus it would help your iron.  I don't exercise but going to start walking in the spring! 

To Thine Own Self Be True!!

R. J
on 1/24/17 7:15 am
Thanks Odie. I really appreciate your comment. Will try to go on high protein diet.

(deactivated member)
on 1/24/17 8:34 am, edited 1/24/17 12:43 am - CA

I am 16 years out and had regain at 12.5 years after maintaining.    What led to my regain was getting off track, not tracking food, not prepping my meals and not exercising.  I was taking care of two parents who both had a multitude of medical problems and I was focusing on them, not myself.    I do not regret taking care of them, but now I am battling my regain that I had during that time frame.   I have gone back to the basics of doing all the above, along with increasing my exercising.    Let me tell you, if you are experiencing regain this early out, WORK ON IT NOW!  It is definitely harder the farther out you are.   

While I still have restriction and I will dump if I eat the wrong foods, the weight is harder to get off.   It is not that steady descent we see in the early post op stage.   It definitely takes some working.  So, I encourage you to focus on getting back to what worked for you in the beginning, see if that works for you, now.  The majority of people who are able to maintain their weight loss are tracking their calories, portions and prepping their meals.  Not everyone does them all, but I think the majority here are doing at least 1-2 of those.  And, the majority of those same people are on the boards daily, posting and answering questions.   Being active in the community helped keep me on track.  I always held myself accountable and am back to doing that now.  Try the "What are you eating" thread that is done daily.   I use it as often as I can to keep myself accountable, in addition to my other tasks.   

YOU CAN do this!   While it seems so hard, just think of where you can be, if you do not get this under control NOW.  And then, it will be even harder.   

Wishing you the best, 

Nik

R. J
on 1/24/17 10:04 am
Thank you very much Nik. You message is for sure giving me motivation to make the right choices before it's too late. I've been very lucky because I never had any side effects. I will take your advise and start a food journal. Best of Luck and thanks again ??

NYMom222
on 1/24/17 8:42 am
RNY on 07/23/14

Even though I am just learning Maintenance, I second everything Nik said... being on here helps me stay focused and reminds me of all the little things I need to be doing.

I also weigh myself everyday. I know I am still capable of gaining significant weight in a week... so I have to get past the good/bad mindset and just do it. I record once a week... it keeps my head out of the sand.

Highly recommend the what are you eating today thread.  Even If if my menu changes, pre-planning makes me think about my day and what I have available so I don't gt stuck...

Good Luck!

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

R. J
on 1/24/17 10:05 am
Thank you so much for your valuable advice. ?

Loril1963
on 1/24/17 5:16 pm
RNY on 10/28/16

I was looking at some footage from the annual OH forum a few days ago. Their guest speaker was Dr. Nowzardin (from TLC 600 lb life). He said around the 5yr mark after surgery patients start to regain weight easier due to their metabolism changes. So my only suggestion would be to restart. Protein first always no carbs. Somehow carbs go down so easily. It's great to post here, god knows we all hear your fear and pain. Good luck

?

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 350 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 386 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 477 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 395 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 92 views