Ferritin

browneyes65
on 3/14/17 3:20 pm - IN

I'm 3 years out now and just had my ferritin checked. I take 4 Sundown Perfect Sundown and 1 -1000 Vitamin C, my number is 176 H ( 14-150) should I cut back on Iron ?

CerealKiller Kat71
on 3/14/17 7:10 pm
RNY on 12/31/13

Too high is as dangerous as too low. Although iron is extraordinarily important, too much over a long time can cause problems with organ functions.

No one here can answer your question because it's one number in several that matter. High levels of ferritin in the blood do not always mean the amount of iron in the body is high since there are other factors that can increase the level of ferritin.Your doctor will need to order an iron test and TIBC to get a better test of your circulating iron. Also, a doctor will need to determine why your level is high: are you taking too much supplementation -- do you have hemochromatosis -- liver disease-- hyperthyroidism -- inflammation -- are you drinking alcohol?

Your ferritin isn't at scary crazy levels, but certainly warrants your doctor ascertaining why and making informed recommendations on your supplementation.

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

browneyes65
on 3/14/17 9:33 pm - IN

I will have to call my Surgeons office to talk to them. I go every year but this year I'm a few months late from going for my yearly visit because I have no way and it's a 3 hour trip there and 3 hours back. I usually go over labs with Dietition and she tells me what to increase or decrease. I know Bariatric labs are looked at differently then my PCP. My PCP tells me my b12 is way to high at 2000 but my my dietition says it's fine. I will see if I can get some answers because I don't know what I'm doing wrong.

CerealKiller Kat71
on 3/15/17 5:23 am
RNY on 12/31/13

I don't know that you are doing anything wrong -- but I am very glad you will get that checked out. Your ferritin is definitely high, and your doctor does need to find out why and go from there.

Good luck!

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 541 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 526 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 414 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 292 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?