3 month menu

Mandi87
on 3/16/17 5:03 pm
RNY on 12/08/16

3 months out! What is everyone else eating at this stage? What should I be eating? Need more fiber and nutrients in my diet but everything is centered around protein. What does a day on your 3 month menu look like? Curious to see what everyone else is doing during this phase.

thanks everybody! :)

(deactivated member)
on 3/16/17 7:29 pm

Of course it goes by your doctor but here's my experience. At 3 months I ate things I was allowed to eat. Cut them up and chewed them very well.

Carbs are minimized. No crackers, no sugar, no pasta, no rice, no bread, no potatoes. No fried food! Focus on protein first, veggies second!

No fluids at meals and 30 minutes after.

Watch out for things that you wouldn't believe have a lot of sugar. Look at Hoffman House shrimp sauce has 16 grams of sugar! Check labels.

You'll do fine :)

CJ On Orcas
on 3/17/17 12:12 pm
RNY on 09/09/16

You really do learn to read labels! I craved tomato soup in the beginning. After I read labels tomato soup became pretty much banned. I have had it once or twice but man. Lot of sugar in that. I went to TJ's one day and spent two hours just looking at labels.

Insert Fitness
on 3/17/17 4:31 am

Hi welcome to the boards! I'd say check out the daily menu threads. You'll get tons of ideas there!

RNY Sept 8, 2016

M1:23, M2 :18, M3 :11, M4 :19, M5: 13, M6: 12, M7: 17, M8: 11, M9: 11.5, M10: 13, M11: 10, M12: 10 M13 : 7.6, M14: 6.9, M15: 6.7

Instagram:InsertFitness

chula82
on 3/17/17 5:24 am
RNY on 12/21/16

I'm three months post op and here is an example of my menu. I know a lot of people here are against carbs, and I totally understand why. I am following what my center wants me to do which is heat carbs but I do make sure they are healthy carbs and I try to stay under 60 grams daily.

Breakfast: decaf coffee with milk. 1 rice cake with PB or 1 scrambled egg (I've been having a hard time with eggs lately)

Snack: Premier Protein shake

Lunch: 4oz chili, 1/2 cup of berries

Snack: cheese string and 2 slices of lean turkey breast (deli)

dinner: 2 oz chicken breast, 1/2 cup of salad. dressing is usually 1/4 tsp of olive oil and vinegar. & sometimes 1/4 cup of sweet potato or quinoa.

Dcgirl
on 3/17/17 6:54 am, edited 3/16/17 11:59 pm - DC
RNY on 12/16/13

Hmmm it's been a while but at three months out, I was protein first. And protein all the time. I had read that the honeymoon period is 12-18 months and I was very strict to ensure I lost all of my excess weight during that time. As others have said, plans vary widely across the world, and so do people's commitment. I can only tell you what I did (and I went from 351 lbs the day of surgery to 160 lbs) and I am over 3 years out now and struggle daily with maintenance - hunger comes back, pouch space comes back, carbs come back...so please be good to yourself and use this time wisely :)

So, at three months out, my breakfast was pretty much always a coffee with cream and splenda, and then a protein shake. I loved Chike iced mocha (from amazon) and probably had that for breakfast 6 days a week. If I ever went out for brunch or had to buy something, I would get two eggs and bacon and couldn't eat the whole thing.

My lunch was any of the following: Turkey and cheese roll-up, chicken sausage, ground turkey made into meatloaf or just made crumbled with taco seasoning and cheese, egg salad (hard-boiled eggs and mayo), tuna salad (canned tuna with onions or pickles and mayo - though lots of people like it with balsamic dressing), salmon or whitefish...you get the gist. I have a digital scale I got from amazon and I would always weigh my 3 oz and pack it up to bring to work and sometimes could not fini****

Dinner was similar to lunch - some sort of meat and if I had room, a few bites of broccoli or asparagus or some veggie.

Snacks were cheese crisps, pickles, turkey pepperoni microwaved into crunch snacks, maybe a Quest protein bar. I had a lot of Light and Fit greek yogurt too. Also Babybel cheese or string cheese.

Note the absence of bread, noodles, oatmeal, crackers, chips, etc. I was committed to losing weight and those are the things that got me obese to begin with!

You can choose to follow any way of eating that you want, but from perusing the threads here, I could see that the people who had lost tons of weight AND kept it off, had a mantra of "protein first" so I chose to follow that eating plan.

Good luck - that whole first year is an exciting time!

Edited to add: I'm not against red meat, I just don't like it, but plenty of people have steak, hamburgers without buns, deli ham, pork chops etc in their diet! If you like that stuff, check the site here, I think rib eye might be a favorite of our own Meat Master, Grim Traveller :)

CJ On Orcas
on 3/17/17 12:10 pm
RNY on 09/09/16

I am six months out now, but at three months out I ate a lot of greek yogurt (I like the Danon Light & Fit greek), babybel cheese, Premier Protein shakes, and tried to keep my protein over 60 grams a day. I used Syntrax protein powder when my protein did not get up to 60 grams.

I did not tolerate meat very well, so mostly I used cheese and shakes for my protein. I limited carbs to less than 50 grams a day but as low as I could get it. I just kept at meat until my pouch could tolerate it better, which just happened a few weeks ago. Still anything dry really bothers me. I barely cook my meat and fish. Chicken has to have a lot of something to make it wet - gravy, or steak sauce, or bbq sauce. And the dense protein of meat really fills me up. If I eat the meat first I do not usually have room for the vegetable. Sometimes I will still eat the salad first but then I can eat more. One of my recent favorites is taco salad made with ground chicken or beef. Then lettuce, bit of shredded cheese, and salsa for the dressing.

As vets have said, this is the time to lose as much as you can. I keep my calories below 800, but closer to 600 if I can manage. I have osteoarthritis so I do not get a lot of exercise.

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 50 replies · 504 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 468 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 412 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 46 replies · 420 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 6 replies · 28 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?