How to plan, shop, cook ... I need help!

gbarron56
on 3/18/17 12:34 am
RNY on 10/20/16

As I went to the refrigerator again tonight and threw out tons of food (again), it occurred to me that I need help! I'm still shopping and cooking with my pre-surgery mindset... buying huge amounts and cooking for an army with lots of left-overs. The only problem is, with the amount I eat now, there's no way I can get through that many leftovers. It just goes to waste. It's just me and my daughter here and her boyfriend who eats with us probably 4 nights a week. I need to scale way back in what I buy and how I cook, but I don't know how to do that. I've always cooked for a large group and always planned for leftovers. So, what are your tips and advice for shopping and cooking post WLS?

Gretchen Barron

HW 410; SW 378, RNY October 20, 2016

Monthly WL: M1=40 lbs; M2=28 lbs; M3=18 lbs; M4=8 lbs; M5=12 lbs;

merryrose
on 3/18/17 2:55 am

I don't have nearly as much experience as many people on this booard, but I'll tell you what I've been doing about this problem. First of all I've been making a lot of recipes from The World According To Eggface. After I make them I divide up into single serving portions in snack sized ziplocks or in 1 cup disposable containers so that once I add the recipe to MyFitnessPal I'll know the exact nutritional info. Then I try to get as many other people to have some as possible so it's not too much. I'll eat some. Save maybe one portion in the fridge, and freeze the rest.

Ingredients go bad too... I'm gonna get an ice cube tray for saving thins like diced tomatos and marinara sauce in pre-measured cubes.

Ive been keeping green onions in a cup of water on my windowsill and that keeps them fresh. Haven't figured out what to do about some of my other fresh ingredients... my mushrooms went bad before I used them up....

Patty R.
on 3/18/17 6:07 am - Harrisville, RI
RNY on 09/08/16

What helps me is pre-planning, sticking to a grocery list and keeping in mind that you need less. I'm still a work in progress!!

Most meals I make now are the regulars we always had, but I cut back the portions. If there are 3 of us having dinner I cook for 2, 4 I cook for 3, etc. I eat the protein and they have the protein plus. Most recipe portion sizes are large, so it's easy to get our small serving size and fill everyone else up.

If I make a chili or pasta sauce, I still make it the "old way" and freeze a large portion right away so I have a family meal ready for another day.

Lap-Band 2007 out 2013 RnY 2016 Age 64 5'6" HW 294 SW 284 LW 214 CW 235.2 goal 199

G. Dean Roye, MD FACS

Patty

H.A.L.A B.
on 3/18/17 8:20 am

I bought? large frost free freezer?. I love to cook, and still do that a lot. But now - I cook food, portion it, with use canning or vacuum seal and freeze. The critical part is to label it - what - how much and date. I can grab a small container or a pouch on the way to work and have a great lunch. Dinner when we don't feel like cooking or go out to eat!? Get the meat I cooked, and veggies, defrost on a stove or in the oven, and dinner is served.

I freeze cooked veggies in small portion so I can have veriaty. Leftovers- if they are not eaten in a day or 2 - I trust them or freeze.

Btw: leftover soup : all small portion of leftovers veggies - add some meat, heat it up in chicken or beef broth- add some flavoring - like dill, or a splash of tomato soup...Or slices of avocado... I eat that thick, my SO gets some bread or a small serving of rice (leftover from chinese) tossed together with that. Top with some shredded cheese.that melts inside the hot soup..And people you serve that think you spent hours making it. Lol..

Tbs of roasted veggies? Perfect serving of veggies to add to my roasted pork loin.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 50 replies · 514 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 473 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 427 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 46 replies · 428 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 354 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?