What to do for weight gain!

richard74
on 3/18/17 6:36 pm - TX

surgery date was 6/20/2011. From 350 all the way down to 178 now I'm at 220lbs. What are my options? Surgery again? What have y'all heard of others doing? Thank you.

Renee C.
on 3/18/17 8:36 pm - Bellevue, WA
Revision on 02/01/17

Generally the first thing to do is investigate why. e.g. use something like My Fitness Pal to track everything you eat and drink for a week or so -- see if your calories are in the range they should be or if you have started eating foods you should be avoiding.

Plus a review of your exercise regimen -- are you exercising regularly for at least 30 min a day / 5 days a week? (although for some people it might be more or less for the weight they want to maintain)

Band removal & RNY Feb 1 2017

alaskasusan
on 3/18/17 10:21 pm, edited 3/18/17 3:22 pm - AK
RNY on 02/11/13

This seems to happen so some RNY grads unfortunately, but all is not lost. As was previously mentioned, track those calories and make sure you get back into a deficit in order to lose weight again. You need to go back to measuring -at least at first - so you get an accurate count. As well, go back to the RNY basics, which you might still have squared away: protein first, some veggies, then a bit of fruit or a healthy starch if you have room and your calorie count is okay. No between meal snacking unless your doctor specifies that for you. Are you drinking all your water? Taking those vitamins? Exercising daily (and for weight loss, remember to not 'eat back' the calories you burn)?

As has been stated here regularly (and by now I think it's burned into my brain cells): You cannot outrun your diet. In other words, weight is lost in the kitchen, not on the track. But exercise does greatly help metabolic and overall health so be sure to make time for it.

Good luck, check in here frequently. Lots of super people with great ideas and help!

Laura in Texas
on 3/19/17 6:38 am

If there is nothing wrong with your RNY I would not risk a revision. It's very dangerous. Track your eating. Eat less and make better food choices. It really does come down to that. Surgery is just a tool.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

billmacc7
on 3/19/17 8:31 am - MA

I feel your pain...RNY 12.27.10 high of 346, low of 196, Today 228:(

I am TRYING to get back to basics:

1. Mindful & Protein based diet
  2. Water!!
  3. Vitamins
  4. Exercise

It seems SIMPLE but I just have to say that Maintenance is a B****!

Still I realize my surgery was on my stomach but I HAVE to use my mind to get back on track...

Yours in WLS Journey,

Bill Mac

aesposito
on 3/19/17 8:15 pm

We are very close in surgery dates. No need for surgery again. Go back to the basics... healthy fats, protein, low-glycemic veggies, water/fluids. Keep carbs/sugars under 50 g a day. Remember that fruit sugar is still sugar. Dairy sugar is still sugar. "Natural" sugar is still sugar.

Use your tool properly, and it will aid you... but you have to use the tool properly. Hitting a nail with the wrong side of the hammer will not drive the nail.

Audrey

Highest weight: 340
Surgery weight: 313
Surgery date: 10/24/11
Current weight 170... 170 pounds lost!!!!

I am not a doctor, but I play one at work.

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 535 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 523 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 407 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 265 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 126 views
Recent Topics