Questions about Transitioning from Liquids to Purees

M. P.
on 3/21/17 2:56 pm
RNY on 03/07/17

Hi All,

I just got off the phone with my Dr's office and they pushed by 2 week post op visit to the 28th which is 3 weeks post op for me, due to my surgeon having a personal emergency. My surgeon's assistant said that I should not progress to pureed foods until I have met with my surgeon in person on that date. This isn't clear in their handbooks which says to start purees 2 weeks out, hence why I started today. So basically, she is saying that I need to stop eating purees (I have had 2tble spoons yogurt and 2tbls refried beans, so not much****il 3 weeks post op.

My concern (other than I am tired of the shake flavors which is rather insignificant) is that I have read that waiting too long to transition off of liquids can cause issues. This is why some surgeons transition a week out. I don't want break my Dr's rules, but I also don't want to cause pouch issues later.

Any advise on what I should do? How likely is waiting to transition to pureed foods to cause pouch issues?

Thanks in advance!

rocky513
on 3/21/17 3:15 pm - WI

You trusted your surgeon to cut you open and rearrange your insides, you should trust him to progress your food too. Follow your surgeon's rules. I was on clear liquids for two weeks, full liquids for two weeks, and never had pureed foods until one month out. I was on pureed foods for two weeks, so I had zero solid food until I was 6 weeks out from surgery. I did not have any "pouch issues".

The best advice I can give you is that you need to train yourself to be a rule follower. Blazing your own trail where food is concerned in never a good idea after surgery.

It sucks to be on liquids, but your surgeon has reasons why he wants you to follow these rules.

HW 270 SW 236 GW 160 CW 145 (15 pounds below goal!)

VBG Aug. 7, 1986, Revised to RNY Nov. 18, 2010

M. P.
on 3/21/17 3:27 pm
RNY on 03/07/17

Thank you!

BETH6536
on 3/22/17 1:32 am - Beaverton, OR
RNY on 04/19/17

My humble opinion as I have about 3-4 weeks till surgery, follow your doctors rules/advice. My explanation is a bit different from everyone else....

I have a co-worker that just had RNY in late December. We both started the process together and she has had an easy path to getting the surgery - I have not. We both weigh about the same. I have Kaiser and have had to jump threw a lot of hoops. She has a different insurance provider and said how easy it has been to get approval.

I check in with her weekly to see how things are going. Last month she tried a french fry and got violently ill but that didn't stop her from trying a brownie with same results. Yesterday morning (we cross paths at 0400hrs) when I was leaving I asked her how it was going. Has she been able to transition to regular foods with ease? What food tracking app does she find most helpful? Has she been having trouble with dumping?

Nope no trouble dumping much. She transitioned fine to regular foods. She even had a cupcake the other day! Oh, and 7-layer dip with corn chips! A chicken pita type thingy gave her no problems but she just ate some of the bread...and nope, she doesn't track her food because she eats "so little" there is no use to tracking it. WTF! I think my mouth was dropped our whole conversation. I didn't even bother saying anything to her because she DOES NOT GET IT.

Here is the thing, if you don't follow the doctors orders THIS TIME over something so small as waiting for a week to start pureed food, where does it end? I'm sure the cheating or side tracking gets easier with time especially if there are no consequences. Stick to the plan. Be disciplined. You have worked soooo hard for this. Do it right.

RNY surgery date 4-19-17

HW: 280 Surgery Weight: 262 CW: 165

(M1) 23 (M2) 8 (M3) 11 (M4) 9 (M5) 7 (M6) 9

Sssmck
on 3/21/17 6:18 pm
RNY on 01/23/17
Sssmck
on 3/21/17 6:20 pm
RNY on 01/23/17

I was super bummed when my 2 week post op appt got pushed out to nearly 3 weeks. I followed with the instructions to stay on liquids personally though. Thankfully I'm not hungry often (if ever...) and it wasn't super hard for me to stay on fluids. I was allowed to have thin soups and pudding which were two staple foods for me especially that extra few days.

Every doc is different, and anytime I have a specific question I get a very well thought out explanation, etc. so I trust that the way doc handles it is the way I want to follow. Lots of docs have you start drinking the evening after surgery, but mine doesn't let you drin****il about 24 hours later - it worked out perfectly for me with her theory and following her specifics.

M. P.
on 3/21/17 7:47 pm
RNY on 03/07/17

Thanks, mostly I was just scared that somehow not transitioning fast enough would cause my pouch to have a harder time when digesting things later. But, I am going to stick to the liquids for another week and go from there. It's very easy for me to get worried and worked up sometimes. Mostly, I just want to be successful, you know?

aesposito
on 3/21/17 8:38 pm, edited 3/21/17 1:39 pm

You do want to break your doctor's rules. Liquids this far out are ridiculous. Surgeons are not gods. Most of them don't even follow current science or research.

Start your purees (which I was started on the day I left the hospital, not that my surgeon was a god either, just to let you know it's a perfectly acceptable practice) and be happy. If you talk to successful veterans here, you will find that most have taken their surgeon's advice with a grain of salt, mixed with actual recommendations from the American Society for Bariatric and Metabolic Surgery. Healthy fats high, proteins high, carbs low. That is the key to success.

Audrey

Highest weight: 340
Surgery weight: 313
Surgery date: 10/24/11
Current weight 170... 170 pounds lost!!!!

I am not a doctor, but I play one at work.

Grim_Traveller
on 3/21/17 8:50 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

Staying on liquids another week won't cause issues. I didn't have my 2 week appointment until 3 weeks, and my 4 week appointment until 6 weeks. It was a little annoying, but no big deal.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

M. P.
on 3/22/17 5:10 am
RNY on 03/07/17

Thank you!

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 50 replies · 514 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 473 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 425 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?