Losing my Surgeon!

Catek2652
on 4/9/17 1:09 pm
RNY on 10/26/15

My Surgeon is closing her practice. It's a complicated story which I am not fully privy to knowing, but the doctor she started with retired suddenly, without warning even while she was trying to build her practice. I remember her telling me at our first appointment that she wanted to make sure we were able to communicate well and that we would be working together for many years to come. She really listened to my concerns and took my needs into consideration. When I ended up having very serious complications with multiple blockages due to being something called a "super healer" in which I grew scar tissue so fast, my guts were closing due to scar tissue and I ended up with four surgeries and stayed in the hospital for 24 days. After the third attempt to open me up, she suggested that I consider a transfer to Duke University (an out of state medical transport) to see a surgeon there who specialized in people like me. She was deeply worried about me and her ability to manage my case at that point. I told her that I really did trust her and I knew she would figure out the best way to manage this situation... and she did. She completed that final surgery (involving opening me up completely from breast bone to just below my belly button) and using some new stuff that coated the tissues and kept them from sticking together until they could heal properly. In the end, I lost a few extra feet of small intestine, because each surgery required removal of a bit more to remake the connection to the pouch and stomach.

All that to say, I'm very sad because the medical group via the hospital where she was affiliated, has opted not to renew with her and she is now going to relocate to Michigan (much too far for follow up visits from Virginia).

Due to the weird-assed complications I experienced, she has always cautioned me that any sort of blockage issues (even suspected ones) or any future surgery of any kind, would require a close consultation with her. But neither of us ever expected her to be leaving. So I've asked my PCP for a new referral to a new surgeon for follow up care. I'm sort of nervous about meeting this new doctor and I'm hoping he does not feel like he is inheriting someone else's problem.

Over all, things have gone perfectly since I left the hospital and I'm something like a pound shy of losing 100 pounds. I'm back to working a job nearly full time and it's far more physically demanding than any job I've had in the past 30 years. I'm actually working in bakery/café of all places as the kitchen manager and head baker. As a result, I'm walking over 5 miles a day three days a week and can haul around 50 pound sacks of flour with a fair degree of ease.

Having all my medical records transferred over to the new guy and get to meet him for the first time next Monday.

Has anyone else had to switch practices post surgery? What, if anything, should I be aware of and ask about?

Cate K

Northern Neck, VA 5'4" 56 years old

Highest weight 245: 7/1/2015, RNY surgery on October 26th. Had multiple complications and follow up surgeries and stayed in hospital for 24 days. Goal weight is 140.

NYMom222
on 4/9/17 1:58 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

While I have not had to switch Doctors, I just wanted to wish you good Luck. It has to be unsettling. Maybe both Docs would be willing to have a conversation with each other if needed? Even if just to ease your mind.

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

White Dove
on 4/9/17 2:04 pm - Warren, OH

I see my surgeon once a year and would be devastated if I had to see another surgeon. I have come to trust and depend on his judgment. Good luck with the new person.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Librarian67
on 4/9/17 2:22 pm
RNY on 02/28/17

I'm so sorry this is happening. I have no experience to share, but it sounds scary. We all put our trust in our surgeons and having to find someone else new is a big thing.

Wishing you the best!

HW: 248+, SW (RNY: 2/28/17): 244, GW (10/17): 125; LW: 115; 45# regain (19-20); CW: 135.6; new goal: 135; Plastics: Ext mastopexy, Ext abdominoplasty-5/18/2018; diagnosed w/ gastroparesis 11/20.

Queen JB
on 4/10/17 2:23 am
RNY on 07/20/15

I am hopeful that you will find someone who is even more skilled, and able to fix these complications you have been dealing with. Did you end up transferring to Duke, where she recommended in the first place?

• High Weight before LapBand: 200 (2008)
  • High Weight before RNY: 160 (2015)
  • Lowest post-op weight: 110 (2016)
  • Maintenance Weight: 120 (2017-2019)
  • Battling Regain Weight: 135 (current)

Catek2652
on 4/10/17 4:32 am
RNY on 10/26/15

I did not need to transfer. She consulted with the folks at Duke (having previously done her residency there) and was able to successfully find solutions for my weird healing abilities. The concern, of course, is future and should I EVER have to have additional surgeries for anything abdominally, the doctors need to know of my unique surgical history and potential complications. Just with anyone who has had RNY, there a bunch of stuff we and our doctors need always remember: no steroids, no NSAIDS, etc. I just have additional restrictions and issues.

Cate K

Northern Neck, VA 5'4" 56 years old

Highest weight 245: 7/1/2015, RNY surgery on October 26th. Had multiple complications and follow up surgeries and stayed in hospital for 24 days. Goal weight is 140.

selhard
on 4/10/17 4:21 am - MN
RNY on 11/26/12

So sorry for your news. It had me realizing my experienced, solo-practice WLS surgeon will be retiring before too long and it's worth asking about it at the next appointment. No questions come to mind for you to ask; maybe other medical professionals you've been with could give you some good ones, though.

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 76 replies · 762 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 335 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 35 replies · 493 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 17 replies · 272 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 90 views
Recent Topics