Starbucks Unicorn Frappucino

Deanna798
on 4/20/17 6:58 am
RNY on 08/04/15

I don't know what you said exactly, but to me unless it said "Anyone who drinks this is an idiot who is poisoning their body.", people need to get over it. I think that regular soda is a really bad idea, and if it was wiped off of the earth, the world would be a better place. I also think that about nicotine and cocaine/heroin. I will not apologize for saying it. I smoked cigarettes for nearly 25 years. I understand addiction, I understand that a lot of people are able to drink soda and be healthy, and that not everyone who smokes dies of cancer. But, that doesn't change my opinion or my right to have it.

It's just like politics, someone is always going to disagree and will get butthurt if someone posts or says something that doesn't agree with them. You are entitled to say what you feel, especially since you have a public voice that is focused on a healthy lifestyle. What would people expect? It just makes no sense to me.

Age: 44 | Height: 5' 3" | Starting January 2015: 291 | RNY 8/4/15 with Dr. Arthur Carlin| Goal: 150

Listen to advice and accept discipline, and at the end you will be counted among the wise. ~Proverbs 19:20

Cleopatra_Nik
on 4/20/17 7:23 am - Baltimore, MD

Well I don't even have the moral ground to say that lol. I've eaten my fair share of stupid stuff! To be fair, I am just as critical in those situations. I often question myself like, "Why? Why did I feel the need to try that? What was the appeal? It wasn't great for me."

I honestly believe that talking about these things will help the overall problem of obesity. I know before I had surgery I wasn't a label reader and even if I was, I didn't really understand what the numbers meant. I feel like calling these products out at least creates awareness.

I dunno...I'm a big ball of contradiction! But I guess what I'm saying is I can see how folks might get defensive BUT that's their stuff not mine. I believe that talking about this is important and that, as in all things, if you don't like it, scroll on!

RNY Gastric Bypass 1-8-08 350/327/200 (HW/SW/CW). I spend most of my time playing with my food over at Bariatric Foodie - check me out!

ScottAndrews
on 4/20/17 8:08 am
RNY on 03/20/17

Friends don't let friends drink sugary crap from Starbucks.

CerealKiller Kat71
on 4/20/17 8:36 am
RNY on 12/31/13

People respond that way because it hits home on their addictions to sugar. In general, people tend to be very defensive of their addictions -- or anyone who questions them.

I believe that one of the reasons Americans (and much of the western world) have such an obesity problem is due to the food industry purposefully making food addictive by (as you say) adding copious amounts of sugar. I do not believe the human body was intended to be inundated with that kind of sugar/processed starches. When we eat these awful foods, incredibly massive amounts of dopamine is released -- which feels great!! The more we eat them, the less our receptors are receptive. The effected is basically dulled -- so now we need more to get the same result. If that isn't the same cycle as addiction, I don't know what is.

That said, I try not to preach my food views on other people's posts on social media. I sort of equate it to posting something political (I am a super progressive liberal) and conservative friends posting negative **** on MY post. Um, no. -- if you don't agree, fine, scroll the F- on. Otherwise, it's open season.

In return, I do not post negatively on their posts. IN fact, if I DO feel the need to post a retort (for example, after the current election there were some pretty ****ty xenophobic/racist things posted by "Friends" that I could NOT let go) -- then that tells me that they aren't fit to be on my friend list.

So, I guess, while I completely agree with you -- if your friend's post was about trying the drink and not asking for opinions on its health, then yes, it could be taken as "food shaming." However, if it was YOUR post and you stated your opinion, she can and should scroll on if she doesn't like it.

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

Laura in Texas
on 4/20/17 10:01 am

I don't believe in labeling food "good" or "bad". I think we tend to shame ourselves if we eat something deemed "bad" and then we can spiral out of control.

I will probably try one of these fraps. It does not make me a bad person. It is not something I would have every day or even once a week. Maybe once a year period.

On a typical day I consume around 25 grams of sugar. If I want to go over the top every blue moon, I can. As usual, YMMV.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

CerealKiller Kat71
on 4/20/17 11:35 am
RNY on 12/31/13

I would argue Laura -- that the same could be made about any addictive substance. For example, a person who uses heroin isn't a "bad" person. The drug heroin is bad. A person who smokes isn't a "bad" person -- but cigarettes are bad. In much the same way, I would argue that foods that are catastrophically high in sugar or highly processed in a way that acts as an addictive drug, are bad foods.

The fact that you may be able to moderate these bad foods doesn't make them any less bad. There are many people who can smoke once in a while socially, drink casually, and even, believe it or not, use heroin or other heavily addictive drugs, a few times without becoming addicts. They are lucky people -- not better or good people.

I think it's great that you can moderate sugar -- in fact, I am envious! However, it doesn't negate the addictive quality of them as evidenced by the growing epidemic of obesity and all it's related co-morbidities.

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

Cleopatra_Nik
on 4/20/17 12:43 pm - Baltimore, MD

But see that's the thing. I didn't say anyone was bad for drinking it. I did say the drink itself isn't healthy. I didn't mention anyone in that equation.

Which begs the question...when you oppose a product do you automatically oppose those who use said product?

In my mind, no. I have no feelings either way about other folks decisions. But I do have feelings that Starbucks isn't capable of making pretty and delicious drinks without making them a gamillion grams of sugar.

So far friends on my timeline are about 75/25 split thinking it's nasty/it's good. At the end of the day it's not my thing so I wouldn't have tried it anyway but I ranted the same about products I would try. And I try my best with things that can be made over, to do so on Bariatric Foodie! If for no other reason than to prove it's possible to achieve the same tastes without stuff that our bodies find objectionable.

But I find the assumption of bad product = bad person very interesting. Where did that come from, if you don't mind my asking?

RNY Gastric Bypass 1-8-08 350/327/200 (HW/SW/CW). I spend most of my time playing with my food over at Bariatric Foodie - check me out!

H.A.L.A B.
on 4/20/17 5:33 pm, edited 4/21/17 5:53 am

I think some people don't like to hear that food they are eating or drinking is compared to poison.

Vegans think that anyone eating animal products is wrong.

Vegetarian judge those who eat meat.

I think most proceed foods are crap. You yourself asked people not to comment on your food choices.

I learned to offer my option when I am asked. Otherwise - what people eat or drink is none of my business.

BTW - my BF is super healthy and he likes Starbucks white chocolate mocha. I even buy that for him. He has no problem with weight, or BS, or cholesterol. He does get that often. But once in a while - if we are somewhere they have it - I often buy that for him. Probably once every 6 months. There is nothing wrong with that.

I personally think artificial sweeteners are much worse than drinks like that once in a while.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

CathyV
on 4/20/17 6:10 pm

I personally am irritated by anyone who tells me not to put my opinion on my own damn Facebook page. So there, lol. It's my facebook page! I try to be kind and all, but it's my dang page, you know? I'm not posting it on *their* page! I see stuff on Facebook I disagree with every day,just scroll on by, man!

HW- 375

SW- 358

GW- 175

seattledeb
on 4/20/17 11:38 pm

I love Starbucks. They are my local coffee company. My order is a venti cold brew with extra ice,3 splendas, and a splash of 2% milk. I'm a smart woman. I can read labels and I've had gastric bypass.

This drink is a limited time novelty drink. It's full of sugar and really more significantly a metric ton of satruated fat. It is a social media drink and I think the company was successful for all the attention they got.

To me it's seems a bit petty to bring your Facebook **** over here.

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 532 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 514 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 393 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 224 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 17 replies · 328 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?