Sister in Law Needs More Psych

Another Fatone
on 4/21/17 12:02 am - inglis, FL
RNY on 08/28/13

My fav 52 year old sister in law wants to have RNY. She has several health issues. She is going thru the same Dr and program that I went to 3+ years ago.

She has cleared thru all the steps except one...the psych eval. After reading her psych eval the scheduling clerk told her "we want you see the psychologist on an ongoing basis". The scheduling clerk would not go into detail. Her scheduled surgery was cancelled.

I told her they must have seen some psych issues that might get in the way of her sticking with the program post op. thus gaining her weight back.

Question - should she make an appointment to discuss with the medical staff why the holdup? She is willing to see her shrink in the future.

5' 11" 73 year old Male

Started 314 Now 200

Beware the Statistics Quoters

LoCoMama
on 4/21/17 6:50 am

I certainly would want to have more information. I don't think that's an issue the scheduling clerk should be discussing. If they have concerns, the psychologist or whomever should meet with her to go over the evaluation results. How does she know what they'd like her to address otherwise? I'd definitely schedule a meeting. Good luck to her!

Gwen M.
on 4/21/17 7:07 am
VSG on 03/13/14

Calling would be good. She is legally entitled to her medical records so.. and it's good that her surgery is delayed in order to work with a therapist.

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

annjones
on 4/21/17 7:14 am - Kansas City, KS
RNY on 02/13/17

I'm sure they will let her know at the Psch apt. It might be something they don't feel comfortable discussing outside of a closed door setting. Yes she is legally entitled to her records but I would trust in the docs and their judgement. They have her best interest at heart.

Ann Jones
HW-304/SW-295/CW-226/GW-200

RNY Surgery 2/13/2017
12/23/08 Band Date - Removal Date 08/15/16

ScottAndrews
on 4/21/17 8:13 am
RNY on 03/20/17

I think the big question the psychologists need to answer is ... How will the patient respond once "comfort food" is basically removed from their daily lives.

I also think depression is common in obese patients and if that's not being addressed then surgery should probably wait.

We're all "emotional eaters" to some degree but I believe a big key to a successful post-bariatric weight loss is understanding how we got ourselves in that operating room in the first place.

H.A.L.A B.
on 4/21/17 1:09 pm

If she is 52, why are you asking that question for her?

That in itself would be a red flag for me. She needs to be personally involved with her health issues, whatever they are.

As you know - post op WLS journey is not easy. It requires dedication and lots? of work.

Nobody can do that for her.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

(deactivated member)
on 4/23/17 8:11 pm
RNY on 02/09/17

Every surgeon is different. My office doesn't even schedule the surgery until everything is lined up. I was told by the psychiatrist during my eval why she wasn't approving me at that time and exactly what I needed to do to get approved. I did it and she approved as promised. I find it odd that she left the pysch eval without knowing what the next steps are in the process. If I was her, I would discuss it with the doctor that performed the evaluation and ask her for a plan of action.

Another Fatone
on 4/24/17 3:06 am - inglis, FL
RNY on 08/28/13

Initially my sister in law was POed. Apparently the new scheduling clerk have her a surgery date before medical staff cleared her.

She is going to meet with her psych doctor. She hopes to learn what the "show stopper" was/is.

I am hopeful they will create an action plan so she can go forward with the needed RNY.

Thank you all for your help and support.

5' 11" 73 year old Male

Started 314 Now 200

Beware the Statistics Quoters

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 367 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 318 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 389 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 400 views