are these symptoms related to surgery?

CathyV
on 4/29/17 5:59 pm

Lately I have had some bowel issues. They are kinda vague. I feel kind of bloated and full in my lower abdomen. I often feel like I need to have a bowel movement and can't, especially late in the day. Yet, I don't seem to be constipated, I still go plenty earlier in the day, soft, no straining. It's not comfortable, but I'm not having actual pain or anything. It's been going on for probably at least a good week now. If the timing was different, I'd think maybe it was menstrual related, but it's not time for any of that. Anyway, that's it. Any have anything like this?

HW- 375

SW- 358

GW- 175

rocky513
on 4/29/17 6:53 pm, edited 4/29/17 1:02 pm - WI

Have you added anything new to your diet? It could be gas pain, sugar alcohols, or a food sensitivity.

You still could be constipated even if you go every day. I have intestinal motility issues where the food does not move quickly enough through my system and I get backed up, causing discomfort. The only thing that helps me is intermittent fasting. I stop eating at 8:00 pm and I don't eat again until late morning the next day. It gives my bowels a chance to catch up. I allow myself to drink clear liquids.

HW 270 SW 236 GW 160 CW 145 (15 pounds below goal!)

VBG Aug. 7, 1986, Revised to RNY Nov. 18, 2010

CathyV
on 4/29/17 7:57 pm

hmm, yes, several things. I found these online menus I have been tweaking and using to plan meals to prep and put up for the week, and they have things I don't usually eat, including some alternative sweeteners and low carb alternative stuff. I guess I'd better start taking notes and see if I can find a cause. I've been paying more attention to it tonight. It's definitely gas. It seems trapped by the end of the day and uncomfortable. I bet it's one of these sweeteners.

HW- 375

SW- 358

GW- 175

rocky513
on 4/29/17 8:04 pm - WI

If the sweetener ends in "itol" like "malitol" it will cause painful gas. Gas-x strips really help with the pain. Try an elimination diet until you find the culprit.

HW 270 SW 236 GW 160 CW 145 (15 pounds below goal!)

VBG Aug. 7, 1986, Revised to RNY Nov. 18, 2010

H.A.L.A B.
on 4/30/17 7:51 am, edited 4/30/17 9:33 am

I can have a daily good quality BM and slowly become constipated.

Even now. But now I know the symptoms. More gas, more smelly gas, plus some bloat.

Initially it happened slowly. There was more pain and cramps. Until I got a real pain. Had CT Scan and I was told I am full of it. It took me 3 days of a very light diet plus a lot of miralax to get clean. It was an eye opener.

We can get constipated even if we have good daily BM. I know.

I think RNY plus GB removal affected motility of my small intestine. They don't work the same way as before. They work much slower. At least for me.

Every few days - a week or 2, I take more miralax and drink more water to help "clean it out".

From what I read, normal food transition should take 12-36 hours .. 24 on average. Taking something with a food coloring (blue) and watching how long until you see it out again, can help determine if I am constipated or not. BTW ,- now I don't need that. I'll just know. I can feel it. My symptoms are as you describe them. Unless I ate some food (i.e. bread, or onions) that could cause some of the symptoms.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 532 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 514 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 396 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 25 replies · 243 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 125 views
Recent Topics