NSAID Ulcer Healing

vellpike
on 5/14/17 8:15 am - Clayton, NC

I had my RNY in 2009. Had my gallbladder removed shortly after that. I know we are not supposed to take NSAID but I took 800MG of IBprophine for a few days when I seriously hurt my back. A few days later, I had some extreme pain that lasted only a few seconds and went away. I thought it was nothing and moved on with life. The pain happened again on Monday after drinking Pepsi Max. I haven't seen my surgeon in a while, so I went to see a gastroenterologist's PA. She pressed on my stomach and asked if it hurt. I said no and I really wasn't having pain other than those incidents. Shdidn'tnt seem concerned even after I told her this. I demanded a scope and am scheduled for Monday. Since then, I have stopped drinking soda and have cut my caffeine intake a great deal. I started taking a PPI twice a day after crushing it because it's extended release and those dont work on us.

I am now kicking myself in the ass for taking the NSAIDS but I cant undo the past. Has anyone experienced ulcers after NSAID use and how long does it take for the ulcer to heal? I am going to try and see my surgeon but it has been a long time since I have seen him. I hope he will see me.

Mahalo F.
on 5/14/17 8:23 am, edited 5/14/17 1:24 am

I am sorry to hear what is happening with you.

I do not have any experience with ulcers.

I do know pre RNY that classes talked about all the things that we have to give up.

I have been on NSAIDS since 2000 for arthritis & chronic back & joint pain.

Found it very hard to give them up!

Giving up carbonated drinks and caffeine were also tough.

They reminded us time and time again that it increased your risk of ulcers.

Start fresh and reset.

I am sure that medication will heal the ulcer(s), but I imagine it will take months to completely heal.

Compliance is key!

Definitely call your doctor and tell him/her your concerns. This is your life!

Good luck!

Take care

Roux En Y - Jan. 4, 2017

HW 283 SW 260 CW 165

IN THE END WE ONLY REGRET CHANCES WE DIDN'T TAKE.

Grim_Traveller
on 5/14/17 10:10 am
RNY on 08/21/12

Don't jump to conclusions. NSAIDS for a few days can give you an ulcer, but if that was the only time you took them, it's most likely they didn't. Get the scope, and see what's going on.

Treatment for ulcers is pretty easy. You take carafate, usually three times a day, and a PPI, maybe twice a day. The PPI cuts down on the acid produced, and the carafate coats the lining of the stomach and intestine so the ulcer has time to heal. a more severe, bleeding ulcer might require it be cauterized, which they would do while they are doing a scope. You wouldn't even know they did it.

The timing of carafate, PPIs, vitamin, calcium, food and drink are critical. Pay careful attention. It will be work to time it all just right.

In the meantime, get a full panel of ALL your vitamins and minerals tested. All of them. That will require about 15 vials of blood. It's the easiest and simplest way of ruling out any other issues that might be going on. You are at the stage where people are coming down with these deficiencies -- mostly because they didn't stay on top of things over the years.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

vellpike
on 5/14/17 11:54 am - Clayton, NC

Thank you. I have also had some abdominal pain and nausea, but not doubled over. Just dull pain after eating. It seems like everyone has excruciating pain from ulcers. If it is an ulcer, how long do they usually take to heal? Are they reoccurring after one?

Grim_Traveller
on 5/14/17 3:34 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

There's just a lot of variation. Ulcers are like bad scrapes on the shin. It can just be pink and sore. Or raw with the barest tinge of blood showing through. Or outright bleeding like a pig. It can be tiny or large. So it can heal quickly or take a long time.

Some people are just predisposed to ulcers. Others do things like smoke, drink or take NSAIDS that cause ulcers.

But you are still self-diagnosing an ulcer. And one of the leading causes is stress. So relax, and let the doctors do their jobs.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

NYMom222
on 5/14/17 6:47 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

Your symptoms could also be a hernia- mine caused nausea, general pain and pain after eating... scope didn't show it needed a cat scan.

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

vellpike
on 5/15/17 5:41 pm - Clayton, NC

My endoscopy found that I did not have an ulcer in the gastric pouch or at the gastrojejunal anastomosis. So no marginal ulcer. So I am now stumped as to what is going on. Can you get an ulcer in the jenunojenunostomy (second connection)?

hollykim
on 5/16/17 7:39 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On May 16, 2017 at 12:41 AM Pacific Time, vellpike wrote:

My endoscopy found that I did not have an ulcer in the gastric pouch or at the gastrojejunal anastomosis. So no marginal ulcer. So I am now stumped as to what is going on. Can you get an ulcer in the jenunojenunostomy (second connection)?

so, testing has ruled out an ulcer, but you seem determined that you have one.

Be very careful what you wish for, you might get it.

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 360 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 387 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 35 replies · 214 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 479 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 398 views
Recent Topics