Powdered vitamins

alaskasusan
on 5/25/17 2:12 pm, edited 5/25/17 2:47 pm - AK
RNY on 02/11/13

Many of you have no doubt gone this road already...but for newer folks I wanted to let you know what I've been doing lately. I'm already very diligent about my vitamins. I always make sure I pack what I need to take during the day, since I space out several things due to meds/calcium multiple times a day/spacing iron, etc. etc. :)

I've found it hard to get some of them down (such as the huge potassium pills!) so looked at powdered instead and find more of them all the time. I take powdered potassium in my daily metamucil, and powdered vitamin c in a half glass of water with my iron.

But the biggie for me lately is trying to find something to replace my yummy 500 mg calcium chews. Not because they don't work, but they have 4 grams of carbs each and 3 a day puts me over my limit. The calcium citrate pills I take now total 12 good-sized ones daily. Ugh. But I recently found several options for powdered calcium citrate, and look forward to trying it. The only thing is it doesn't mix well with water so I'll need to decide what to use. But that's a small matter compared to getting in my full calcium daily without a dozen more tablets - and not adding to my carb count!

ETA: It looks like my post cut off the last paragraph, so adding here that the cost improvement was an additional benefit. There are no fillers, just the vitamin/mineral and I'm finding quite a bit of savings doing this. YMMV of course :)

catwoman7
on 5/25/17 2:58 pm
RNY on 06/03/15

I mix mine in yogurt. You could also mix it in SF pudding.

RNY 06/03/15 by Michael Garren (Madison, WI)

HW: 373 SW: 316 GW: 150 LW: 138 CW: 163

CerealKiller Kat71
on 5/25/17 2:58 pm
RNY on 12/31/13

HA! I used powdered supplement in bulk for many things as well. I take my magnesium citrate in powdered form -- 2 grams/2000 mg a day, inositol 10 grams a day, etc --

I have done the calcium citrate many times (Bulk Supplements) -- and I actually found that it dissolves pretty well. I have also mixed it with Mg glycinate -- and I always add D3 for better absorption. I usually mix it with a citrus-y or tart cherry type of Mio or Crystal light.

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

alaskasusan
on 5/25/17 5:03 pm - AK
RNY on 02/11/13

Good to know, thanks Kat! Yep, glad I am finally getting this stuff figured out, lol! ;)

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 362 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 39 replies · 262 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 388 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 479 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 399 views
Recent Topics