Gaining... old habits

wcumom1
on 5/25/17 5:26 pm

Jeeze, haven't been here in forever. I need help, inspiration, rny buddy? Something..... my surgery was may 2009... I'm back to loving food... I hate it, I hate this 20 pounds that's attached to me! It's depressing... anyone with similar issues want to be Facebook friends to help each other? I'm no longer followed by a dietician or surgeon... our support group is during my work day, go figure

j4jules
on 5/26/17 4:44 am

Hi. I have put myself in a possibly similar situation. I had my surgery 3 years ago this month. I didn't lose what I should have and gained 40lbs from the lowest I was. I am so upset with myself. I thought that I could relose it on my own. I am too embarrassed to go back to the doctor until I lose more. Today I will start back to the strict regimen.

Mary Gee
on 5/27/17 5:56 am - AZ
VSG on 05/14/14

Do not be embarrassed to go back to your surgeon..... it will only help you. I was in the exact same situation as you.... I did not reach goal, maintained for a while then started to regain. When I was 20 pounds up I knew I had to do something. I tried to get back on track on my own, without success. So I made appointments with my surgeon, the nutritionist, and the psychologist from my program. They all agreed it was a good decision..... The surgeon did labs and offered major encouragement; the nutritionist and I talked about diet and accountability - I joined Weigh****chers so I would have to "officially weigh-in" while eating according to my bariatric plan; the psychologist encouraged me to see a counselor and I am now seeing a therapist. Nothing but major support from my surgeon and his team. I've lost 15 of the 20 pounds I was up and feel great.

HW: 380 SW: 324 GW: 175  

(deactivated member)
on 5/26/17 7:12 am

You sound similar to me.... I had GB in May 2008 - 9 years ago. I lost 130 lbs and was great for 7 years. Some personal stress with job lay off after 18 years and gained 40 lbs (first 20 gradual , last 20 faster) I too had no support wiith my hospital only offering speaker seminars on topics and to get new patients telling about surgeries and process. I googled 9 years out and regaining and something came up for OH and I lurked and read for a couple weeks then joined. I also found another hospital 30 min away and they had support groups and have welcomed me. Gone to 3 meetings. Well in a months time I am down 10 lbs and eating wonderful. Was totally out of control. I found I had to reduce down to 1000-1100 calories. As you know at our stage we were eating more than that. 1200 I was losing way too slow. I need to pick up exercising more. Feel clean and clear in the head compared to how I felt with the sugar. For me the support here and meetings has reset me and I am determined to be back at my goal. 30 lbs to go. Unfortunately, I am no longer on Facebook! Where do you live? I would love a walking buddy!

best to you!

wcumom1
on 5/27/17 7:28 pm

Hey, I'm in fayetteville, nc.... I'm on day 3 of the 5 day day pouch reset ??ð?- I'm hungry lol

(deactivated member)
on 5/28/17 5:13 am

Good for you! I have never done that.

I just went back to basics with 3 meals and a ccouple snacks. Eating high protein like triple 0 Greek yogurt that Dannon makes for breakfast. around 10 am a premiere choc protein that has 1 gram of sugar. For lunch 1 piece of rye bread with deli turkey (like 2.5 or 3 very thin sliced, tiny smear of light mayo). Sometimes I have a snack like nuts (trader joe little packet)or Another yogurt or measure out 3 tablespoons of peanuts. Then dinner I have a lean hamburger patty that is premade. 160 calories. Sometimes some zucchini with it. I eat the burger like a steak , no bun. premier drink or strawberries and other berries for night snack. I feel my restriction and feel full. I was hungry when first started but with all the protein def cravings have left. I had picked up the sugar habits and was grazing. I was also drinking water/milk or whatever with meals. Thankfully never a soda drinker. I cut that out and am waiting the 30 min after. Getting in 64 ounces of water. Vitamins religiously! Sugar puts me in a fog and I am feeling so good that I think this 2nd chance at losing is going to be even sweeter when I reach my goal. Also come here daily and read the posts. Read a lot more then post anything. It ikeeps me connected to who I am. I had stopped doing which kept me from being accountable from where I came from,130 lbs heavier. Also love the in person meetings I found outside 30 min away at a different hospital.

Not exercising enough but it beating myself up because I wanted to get one thing at a time under my belt. Walking now and then but need to increase and get downstairs on my elptical and decline bench.

It is working slowly but surely. 11 lbs this morning. In about a month. 29 to go! I received a job offer yesterday morning after interview on Friday. My feeling is I got my act together feeling great and clear and things come together. Life is good.

Good luck to you. Have a great holiday!

NYMom222
on 5/30/17 2:52 am
RNY on 07/23/14

There is a daily menu thread on here, where you plan and post your menu for the day, and get lots of support. Start going on their daily. Staying focused helps.

Get back to basics- Dense Protein first, then veggies... white knuckle the carbs and you will feel better in a couple of days. Get minimum 60-80g protein- and 64oz fluids... higher on both is better in my opinion...

Move your body/exercise 30 minutes a day at least... This is important to feel good, but it is what you put in your mouth that will make a difference...

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

Jen M.
on 5/30/17 9:38 am - Houston, TX
RNY on 11/07/13

I had my RNY in November of 2013 and got down to 213... now I'm bouncing back and forth between 240-255... HATE IT... I'm not back at my highest by any means, but the clothes I loved when I lost the weight are just too tight! It really sucks when I go clothes shopping knowing that I can't buy the smaller size anymore. I always had to buy a bit bigger than my normal size because my thighs refuse to shrink! I thought joining a weight loss competition at work would help... but so far, I'm down 10 pounds and teetering! I realize I enjoy small portions of food, but more frequently! And going on vacation to Florida definitely didn't help being right in the middle of the weight loss challenge. I have until June 15th to kick it up into gear and drop the weight to win the pot and to look better than I do currently as I have family coming out and am embarrassed that I have gained at least 20lbs since the last time I saw them!

My husband also had RNY and has gained a lot of his post surgery weight back and I think he is dealing with his depression with food... and us both working full time and being full time students definitely did not help one bit. Now that I've graduated and not starting my next degree until the fall, I have decided to get my butt back in the gym and head back to old habits when I was focused.

I pulled out my old journals of what worked and what didn't to keep me honest with myself and remind myself of how I feel when I ate certain things or after different kinds of workouts at the gym. I downloaded the "LoseIt!" app and connect with people so people in my network can keep me honest and I can do the same for them! Granted, it's my mom (who hasn't had surgery), my husband (who rarely charts), and my best friend (who also had RNY, then skin surgeries when she was a size 8, now with 2 kids and wears a size 18). That works for me and keeping a nightly journal helps. If you download the app, let me know and I'll add you to my network.

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 566 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 351 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 33 replies · 200 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 457 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 371 views
Recent Topics