3-4 week stall?? Feeling frustrated

koverbeck
on 5/26/17 5:07 am

I had my RNY surgery on May 9 of this year. Including my 2 week preop diet, I have only lost a total of 23 pounds and the scale hasn't moved since! It's so frustrating to know how much, or how little food I am consuming and the scale isn't going anywhere. I know I shouldn't weigh so often, but I am so anxious to start seeing some results. I feel lighter, but the scale isn't going anywhere. Am I doing something wrong? I log what I consume every day and am getting at least 60-70 grams of protein every day per my drs office instructions and getting a minimum of 64 oz of water every day, some days more than that. I am walking almost every day and even started going back to the gym, just doing some bicycling and arm exercises, nothing strenuous on my tummy yet. What can I do to get that scale to move? Am I obsessing too much about it? To top it off this would be the normal time I would be "pms-ing" and I've always tended to be bloated and have water retention. So that, I'm sure isn't helping. I'm just feeling so frustrated. Tell me, am I doing something wrong or just obsessing too much?

ScottAndrews
on 5/26/17 5:33 am
RNY on 03/20/17

What was your weight on 5/9? What are you eating? Let the board know and some of the pros will surely chime in with tips.

Personally I stay away from the scale. I got on the scale 3 times in 2 months since 3/20 and the first two times were at my surgeons office. Then I started getting on everyday after that last time and nearly threw the damn thing out the window.

Remember this is a long term project we got ourselves into.

slightlyrocky
on 5/26/17 5:51 am - Titusville, FL
RNY on 05/02/17

My surgery was on 05/02, so I am a little over 3 weeks out. The same thing has happened to me since last week. In the days after the surgery I actually gained weight! Doc told me to start taking the water pill I take for hypertension and it went away in a few days. Then the scale showed I lost weight. Then it went back up and has stayed there since last week. I lost 19 lbs. before surgery and am at 17 lbs. now (37 total). I know I am losing weight because I can fit into clothes this week that I couldn't fit into last week. I was obsessed with the scale too! Thanks to the great advice on here and the encouragement of my co-workers I have over come it and learned to pay more attention to the long term goal. Best of luck to you!

koverbeck
on 5/26/17 6:22 am

My weight on 5/9 was 331 and it has been bouncing around 308-310 ever since. I am eating 600-700 calories daily and staying between 50-70 grams of protein and at a minimum of 64 oz of water daily. I usually will have for breakfast 1 egg, usually with a tbsp. of rf cheese (which I cannot always finish); and for lunch/dinner I usually go back and forth with the following: will have either 1/4 c to 1/2 c nf refried beans with a little cheese and reduced fat sour cream and salsa; or 1 or 2 slices of deli turkey breast with a light string cheese; or 1/4 c to 1/2 c of ricotta bake; 1/4 to 1/2 c of shredded or baked chicken with some green beans or sautéed peppers and onions or maybe with about 2 ounces of nf greek yogurt or sugar free jello. I try to keep my carbs below 50 and keep my sugars low, below 40 (and I don't usually get up to that, rarely if ever) In previous weeks, I have been also supplementing with 8 oz of protein shake a day in between meals to keep my daily protein up, but I'm supposed to be weening off of those and try to get most of my protein through food and not rely so much on the shakes per the drs office instructions. Am I doing something wrong with my food?

slightlyrocky
on 5/26/17 6:52 am - Titusville, FL
RNY on 05/02/17

I'm just a newbie but my doctor's diet for the first week was clear liquids, then 2 weeks regular liquids and creamed soups with no chunks and yogurt then 2 weeks of pureed foods. I am in week 1 of pureed foods. I try to get in the 64 oz. liquids and at least 60 gr. protein. At this stage I wouldn't even try to eat some of the stuff you are eating. All together my daily calorie intake is around 500. Don't know about the carb totals. Everybody is different - keep tweeking it until it works. I wonder if you are retaining water.

smash150
on 5/26/17 6:33 am

I also had my surgery may 9th. I have lost 23 lbs since starting optifast (also on for 2 weeks). I lost 8 lbs on optifast and 15 since surgery so I have the same questions as you. I do find that I get constipated, have you also had that issue? The speed you lose weight will also vary from person to person so I don't think there is much to worry about, eventually it will come off. If your smaller or lost weight before surgery it might come off slower initially. It is frustrating though, I have a bad habit of getting on the scale too much which I'm trying to break. Anyways, good luck! I hope it starts moving for you :)

Referral Nov 29, 2016: Orientation Jan 12, 2017: Nurse Feb 6, 2017: Dietitian and SW March 3, 2017: Trio April 5, 2017-cleared for surgery: Meet the Surgeon April 12, 2017: Post op Nutrition class May 8, 2017: RNY Surgery May 9, 2017

HW: 306(day of referral) CW: 172 Height: 5'6

koverbeck
on 5/26/17 6:59 am

I have had the constipation issue on a few occasions, but I have been take benefiber and miralx at least a few times a week and that seems to help. Glad to see we are somewhat of the same boat. Good luck to you as well.

ScottAndrews
on 5/26/17 6:46 am, edited 5/25/17 11:46 pm
RNY on 03/20/17

I think many would tell you reduce your carbs a bit. I know refried beans appears on a lot of post surgical menus but I've no idea why. To me it's not a great option. I can't believe you can eat chicken. It still gives me problems.

But today is 5/26. You've lost at least 21 lbs in 17 days. It doesn't really get much better than that!

There's others in here much more experienced than myself but one thing I'd offer is don't walk almost every day. Walk every day. And try to walk in the morning, afternoon and even after dinner. Keep the fire burning!

And stay away from the scale for a while. You're doing great.

koverbeck
on 5/26/17 6:58 am

Thank you. I'll work more on the walking. I know I need I stay away from the scale. Hopefully when I do get on it, I can be pleasantly surprised :)

ScottAndrews
on 5/26/17 7:40 am
RNY on 03/20/17

Just stick with the plan and you can't not lose weight.

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 543 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 527 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 415 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 297 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 129 views
Recent Topics