question about goal weight

minaque2
on 6/28/17 7:01 am

I met with the nutritionist for the first time this morning. She asked me what my goal weight was. I told her 145lbs. She said a more realistic goal would be 190lbs and that would likely be as low as I could get. She asked me when the last time I weighed 145 was and I told her 6th grade. She said it was highly unlikely I would ever see that again. I felt a little defeated. I mean, 190 is certainly a heck of a lot better than 290 but if I really work hard on diet and exercise, why shouldn't I see 145? What do you all think?

wannabesupermomm
y

on 6/28/17 7:14 am - New York, NY
RNY on 10/25/16 with

Have you checked out the ObesityHelp Post Op Planner, under resources? This might help give you an idea. I think the average patient loses 65% of the excess weight. There's a calculator there to show you how much that is, and you can change it to see if you were to lose more. And you absolutely can lose more with hard work! No one sets you own standards and goals but YOU.

RNY w/ Dr. George Fielding @ NYU 10/25/2016

LBL, BL, MASTOPEXY, FLANKPLASTY, BRACHIOPLASTY w/Dr. Joseph Capella @ Hackensack 07/11/2018

Stay tuned!

RNY_elizabeth
on 6/28/17 7:21 am - TX
RNY on 10/06/15

I never would have believed for a second that I could weigh 125. I hadn't been 125 since I was 8 years old. But...I do. It is entirely possible for a person to lose all of their excess weight. "On average" is an average not a forecast. With lots of hard work and effort, sticking to your plan like your life depends on it, and commitment to get back on the horse anytime you fall....you can do this.

~E

Consultation weight: 265, Surgery date: 10/6/15, Goal: 150, Current weight: 129; 5'5, 46 years old

"I am basically food's creepy ex-girlfriend. I know we can't be together anymore but I just want to spend time hanging out" ~me, about why I love cooking so much post WLS

Au_Contraire
on 6/28/17 7:27 am
On June 28, 2017 at 2:01 PM Pacific Time, minaque2 wrote:

I met with the nutritionist for the first time this morning. She asked me what my goal weight was. I told her 145lbs. She said a more realistic goal would be 190lbs and that would likely be as low as I could get. She asked me when the last time I weighed 145 was and I told her 6th grade. She said it was highly unlikely I would ever see that again. I felt a little defeated. I mean, 190 is certainly a heck of a lot better than 290 but if I really work hard on diet and exercise, why shouldn't I see 145? What do you all think?

My doc told me he would get me to under 200 pounds. I told him I was thinking under 150. He told me that I could achieve that, but that I would have to do everything right. I have weighed that in the last 10 years (I am 5' 8" and 63 years old). I don't know how old you are or how much taller, etc. you have become since 6th grade. But overall I think if you do everything right, exercise, hydrate, keep records, put protein first, and follow the advice of the vets here, you will lose and lose, and be happy. Seems to me that you should just go for it. Don't let your enthusiasm falter just cause someone (even your doc) says you won't reach your goals - prove them wrong instead! I say go for it! Best of luck!

(deactivated member)
on 6/28/17 7:37 am
RNY on 11/22/16

My surgeon said that 170 would be a good weight for me, that I would be a healthy overweight. Umm, no. I didn't have this surgery to be a healthy overweight. There are many people on this board that have lost all their excessive weight and maintained it.

I am not sure of how tall you are, but my advice would be to lose all you can! Stay on track, nourish your body with good protein, measure and track every bite you eat.

I am not impressed with my nutritionist either. She suggested canned peaches post op. I was like seriously! We are paying for their opinion and sometimes they have no idea of what they are talking about.

Have you checked out the daily menu thread?? I would suggest it. Its a great group of people. Keep plugging along, you will get to 145!!

H.A.L.A B.
on 6/28/17 7:40 am

What weight you will end up depends on your body type, and sheer determination.

Instead of concentrating on weight - how about side ? Or body fat% ? That girls may be more realistic in a long run.

She may be trying to be realistic, but if you aim 190... Then you may not push yourself hard enough to get to 145.

When we are bigger and are bigger long time- our bones and muscles may be bigger- stronger- heavier. Our lean body mass is higher than someone smaller.

As we are losing weight - we may try to retain the bones and as much muscles as possible. That may make our final goal weight little higher. But not by 50 lbs...

My personal goal was size 12 or below... I got the is less than 6 months and continue dropping ...my lower weight was 142 size 4... Bones+muscles+ skin. And that was to low for me at that time. I looked and felt best at 150-155. I am 5'4" but large frame and muscles.

Currently , 9 years post op my body changed. I am currently 145-147 lbs, with 115 lean body mass, only app 20-21% body fat. Even now - at my age- my body fat% is low., Even with my BMI being at 25.1.

If I lose more weight I would be losing muscles. Plus I look and feel older when my weight dropped below 145.

Set up the 190 as intermittent goal. Work hard on it, then at you reach out - adjust to get where you really want to get. Show them you can and will do it.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

conazza
on 6/28/17 7:54 am
RNY on 09/23/16

When I had my revision for the crap band to RNY in September/16, I was 55 years old and 250lbs. The Dr told me that I would probably get to a bit under 200. I was so disappointed by that I almost didn't have the surgery. I'm 9 months out now and weigh 141lbs at 56 years old and I'm 5'3" and still working it. Don't let anyone decide where you'll get to. You and your body are the only one that know what's right. Just follow all the advise here like it's your job.

Lap band: 2006. Revision to RNY 9/23/2016

8/2/17: Goal Reached: 135lbs. & 115lbs lost (5'3")

Pre-op: 250, SW 242, CW 125, GW 135

Pre-op: 9lb M1: 20lb M2: 11.5lb M3: 11.9 M4: 13.4 M5: 10.8 M6: 10.2 M7: 8.1 M8: 8.4 M9: 6.5 M10: 5.7 M11: 3.5 M12: 4.3

slightlyrocky
on 6/28/17 8:21 am - Titusville, FL
RNY on 05/02/17

I bet we will see you at 145! You go girl! What everybody else said!

ScottAndrews
on 6/28/17 8:31 am
RNY on 03/20/17

I've lost about 60% excess weight in 3+ months. That's good but not at all unheard of Everybody's different

You can lose 12 lbs a month for 12 months straight as long as you follow the rules.

your nutritionist is likely a moron.

mschwab
on 6/28/17 8:49 am
RNY on 11/21/14

I think they teach that line in bariatric nutrition school. My NUT asked me the same question. When I said I wanted my goal weight to be 150, she asked me when was the last time I weighed that...blah, blah, blah...and that it was an unrealistic goal. My response? Challenge accepted! I weighed 139 this morning. You and your actions control your weight. If you focus on staying on plan like it is your job in both the losing and maintenance stages, there is no reason you can't achieve the goals you set for yourself.

Height: 5'7".  HW: 299, Program starting weight: 290, SW: 238, CW 138 - 12 pounds under goal!  

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 530 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 463 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 344 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 178 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 17 replies · 327 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?