Upcoming surgery followed by a friend's wedding 2 weeks post op

Sylvia G.
on 7/4/17 9:12 am
RNY on 07/26/17

Hello all,

I am scheduled for surgery on July 26th and am attending a friend's wedding 2 weeks after. I'm trying to order my dress and I'm wondering if I should expect any weight loss that soon or just order my usual size?

Thanks for any advise :-)

Sylvia

peachpie
on 7/4/17 10:47 am - Philadelphia, PA
RNY on 04/28/15

What's your starting weight? Slower weights cycle through sizes faster

I didn't drop sizes until I lost ~50%, and I didn't make that 2 weeks post op.

5'6.5" High weight:337 Lowest weight:193/31 BMI: Goal: 195-205/31-32 BMI

Sylvia G.
on 7/4/17 11:49 am
RNY on 07/26/17

I am 5' 7" 263lbs currently.

And I'm 51 yrs. I've been 240-275 for the past 10+ years.

I read other people's post and I seems like the change is size lags behind the weight loss in most cases. I think I'll just buy my normal size.

Thanks!

Au_Contraire
on 7/4/17 11:30 am

There are a few things to consider here. Are you going to embark upon an intense pre-op diet? For how long? Have you already been dieting and losing? How old are you, and are you pre- or post-menopausal? What is your current weight/BMI? All of these factors can have an impact on how fast you will drop a size.

I dieted pretty intensely (80 grams worth of Protein shakes made with water, plus 64 ounces of water daily) for 2 weeks before surgery, and lost 18 pounds. I started at a high weight (353). I weighed myself yesterday - 3 weeks out - and was down to 318.2. I am still wearing the same clothes I was pre-op, though they are loosening nicely, yay! I have an attitude about buying big sizes (I have been wearing a 3X) - I basically refuse to purchase more unless it is absolutely necessary. As a result, I have a very limited wardrobe. But that is fine with me! I know I will enjoy refreshing my wardrobe as it becomes necessary, and will especially enjoy that as I drop into lower misses sizes.

I actually ordered myself a dress last week. It hasn't arrived yet. It is a beautiful ponte knit sheath, and I ordered it in a size 8! If I end up wearing a smaller size, I will still have the pleasure of enjoying it for about a 15 or 20 pound range. And knowing my body and weight history, I am pretty sure size 8 won't be too small, at some point in the future. Maybe that was a foolish thing to do, to buy something I can't yet wear, but I really liked the dress and look forward to being able to wear it. I consider it a gift to my future self. So I popped for it!

I personally wouldn't advise that you buy a lower size yet as you will only be 2 weeks post-op. Your new dress will probably fit you beautifully at that point in your current size, but not be large enough to warrant sizing down yet, unless you are starting at a relatively lower weight and BMI. If that is the case, and if you will be doing 2 or 3 weeks of intense pre-op diet, you may very well be able to go down a size. But overall I feel you will be smarter in most cir****tances sticking with your current size, which should fit you in a nice, fluid way at that point.

Sylvia G.
on 7/4/17 11:51 am
RNY on 07/26/17

I think I will go with my usual size.

Thanks for the advise.

:-) Sylvia

Teena D.
on 7/4/17 7:03 pm - Oshawa, Canada
RNY on 01/12/17

That's what I would recommend too. It may be a bit loose- but better than too tight. I was still wearing the same clothes at 2 weeks post-op.

RNY Jan 12, 2017 Lost 137 lbs but regained 60.

77 lbs lost and counting!

Losing the regain! I got this!

selhard
on 7/4/17 4:48 pm - MN
RNY on 11/26/12

Are you in the wedding party? At 2 weeks post-op, I would not have been in any shape nor mood to be part of such an event that sometimes required long periods of waiting, standing around, and other expectations that would keep me away from the bathroom (the bathroom was an important place to stay near the first few weeks after WLS). If you are attending the wedding as a guest only, some style dresses are great for looking good at a wider range of body size---tank dress, maxi dress, etc.

Sylvia G.
on 7/4/17 7:24 pm
RNY on 07/26/17

I'm just attending. Not part of the wedding party. I'm going to buy my usual size and if it's a little big...NBD.

Thanks for your help

CerealKiller Kat71
on 7/4/17 8:24 pm
RNY on 12/31/13

I don't know if this is true for everyone.

At 10 days post-op, I was back to teaching 3 classes a day on my feet at a large university --- walking all over campus and dragging a large load of books and briefs.

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

NYMom222
on 7/4/17 7:45 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

At only two weeks postop, I would order my usual size. You could always get a rush alteration if necessary. Do some alteration shop research ahead of time.

I wouldn't plan on eating at the wedding, or eating very much. I went to one wedding 10 days after my surgery and another wedding 2 1/2 weeks after my surgery. The ten-day 18 nothing, brought Premier protein and drink it in a private spot, by the second wedding the doctor said I can have fish if it was soft and I could mu**** up. I still enjoyed being at both weddings.

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 487 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 447 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 46 replies · 456 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 401 views