SHARE YOUR LONGTERM POSITIVE STORIES

Tee_sparkles
on 7/14/17 2:35 am
RNY on 07/07/17

Hey everyone.. 1 week post op here.. been really struggling to be excited about this op, honestly been feeling beyond scared of the future, pregnancies (im 24) vitamin defiencies, complications.. would love to hear some stories of people who have had the operation and how they are feeling.

If i take all my multivitamins does it mean i will be safe from vitamin deficiencies in certain?

I just need reasurrance.. :(

Grim_Traveller
on 7/14/17 3:31 am
RNY on 08/21/12

I couldn't be happier.

Everyone needs1500 mg calcium citrate in addition to 2 multis per day. Most people, but not all, need other supplements as well. Usually B12, D3, and iron. There are no set quantities. Taking them is half the battle. Getting regular labs drawn, charting the results yourself, and adjusting dosages and frequencies is the other half.

Do that, and you'll be healthier than your non-WLS friends.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Jester
on 7/14/17 4:52 am
RNY on 03/21/16

My surgeon has told me that the only real concern he has long term is iron deficiency. He says he sees that from time to time. All other deficiencies are easily corrected with supplements. He starts everyone out on just multi vitamins. I had to add in B12 and Iron as those levels were a bit low. The B12 responded right away and is very high now. My iron continues to be on the low end of normal so we continue to watch that. I'm 16 months post-op for reference.

H.A.L.A B.
on 7/14/17 7:54 am

If i take all my multivitamins does it mean i will be safe from vitamin deficiencies?

No. We are so individual that simply taking multi and calcium may not be enough. even if you take 200%of everything, or if you take more.

Some vitamins/minerals in excess can cause more harm that good- when the levels become toxic. i.e. B6, calcium, iron, E, A... etc.

It impossible or close to impossible to monitor and test ALL vitamins and minerals. They can test most - but not all. but testing majority of them at least once a year is critical. monitoring not only the levels but trends over time - is important. i.e. your iron can be fine but if ferritin is trending down - it means your body uses more iron than you supply. Ferritn is the saving account of body iron.

I am 9 years post op RNY and I need B12 shots (the sublingual does not work for me) and every few years I need iron infusions. My body uses iron faster that I can absorb it. I had so so far 3 series over the last 9 years. And this year- I probably need another one. My iron is good, my my ferritin dropped from 99 last year to 30 - this year. I eat red meat, take iron and use iron patches. And it is not enough. I know people who do great with just oral iron. Not me.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

(deactivated member)
on 7/14/17 8:06 am

One of the best things I have done for me. It has also made me deal with some issues. It has made me grow up and take a look at myself and be honest.

It gets easier with time. It can be hard some days. But life isn't always easy. It can be hard and can suck.

Life is better after surgery.

pammieanne
on 7/14/17 1:22 pm - OK
RNY on 05/16/16

I'm not that long out from surgery... a bit over a year.

I've lost over 120 pounds. I'm so much healthier, and I can do so many more things. I have more energy and more stamina. I eat right. That's the first thing you MUST tackle in order to be healthy. Protein, going forward, is the MOST important thing you put in your mouth. Period.

I take my vitamins, most of them in the form of the patches. I have had my blood checked regularly this past year, and I also take Calcium/Vitamin D orally, and Thiamin. I get a B12 shot monthly. I have no qualms about the fact that as the years pass, I may become deficient in other areas, but as long as I keep up with my vitamins now, and continue to get my blood levels checked regularly, I (hopefully) can combat any deficiencies if they come up.

Please remember something though. This surgery is only as good as you are at being compliant. If you don't keep up with things like your diet, and your vitamins, all bets are off. Your brain was not operated on, so you WILL have cravings... most likely you have an eating disorder... most likely that will be hard to come to terms with. Is this easy? Yes and no. It's not a miracle... but you've already had the surgery, now is not the time to be worrying about it. Now is the time to implement a good habit of eating correctly, keeping up with your vitamins, and taking care of yourself in ways you have never done before.

I think you will find the vast majority of people here only regret not having the surgery sooner. There are PLENTY of people here with vitamin deficiencies, even with keeping up a good routine... and there are plenty of people here that have had regain because, simply put, this isn't magic.

I'm POSITIVE I did the right thing... I'm also POSITIVE it's hard work!

Height 5'5" HW 260 SW 251 CW 141.6 (2/27/18)

RNY 5-16-16 Pre-Op 9lbs, M1-18.5lbs, M2-18.1lbs, M3-14.8lbs, M4-10.4lbs, M5-9.2lbs, M6-7lbs, M7-6.2lbs, M8-8.8lbs,M9-7.8lbs, M10-1 lb, M11-.6lbs, M12-4.4lbs

italianspice
on 7/17/17 4:38 am - Eastlake, OH

Hello! Hang in there!

It's was 7 years ago this month. No regrets! Type 2 diabetes still in remisssion! Labs are good. Feel great, way better now in my fifties than I was in the my 30's and 40's!

As for vitamin deficiencies, you will need to keep up on your lab work and adjust your supplements. Had some anemia and iron defiency in the first year, but got that straightened out.

Good luck!

~Maria

SW 230 Preop 205 GW 130 LW 131 CW 135 Ht 5'1"

AnneGG
on 7/18/17 9:42 am

One day at a time and do what you need to do each day no matter what, don't listen to your head or your feelings or make excuses. Commitment, action, perseverance over time- formula for success, simple not easy.

I know- 7 years here practicing.

You got this!

"What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the master calls the butterfly." Richard Bach

"Support fosters your growth. If you are getting enough of the right support, you will experience a major transformation in yourself. You will discover a sense of empowerment and peace you have never before experienced. You will come to believe you can overcome your challenges and find some joy in this world." Katie Jay

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 529 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 457 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 334 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 17 replies · 325 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 66 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?