Calories after gastric bypass

Lucy1973
on 7/26/17 6:43 pm

Hi all, I'm from The Netherlands and I had gastric bypass churgery in January 2016. In 2 months after churgery In lost 7 kilograms, like 14 pounds, right?

Because of stopped weightloss I want back to the hospital andere the dietician said I wasn't eating enough. Health, but not enough. I had to eat between 1200-1500 calories a day.

What is the advice hospitals give you? Could it be I'm eating to much?

catwoman7
on 7/26/17 10:47 pm
RNY on 06/03/15

calorie needs are so different for everyone. You are 18 months post-surgery. I was eating about 1200-1400 then, I think. I am now in maintenance (not trying to lose any more weight) and eat about 1700. But some people on here have to eat much less than that to maintain or lose weight. If you want to continue losing weight, you may have decrease your calories.

RNY 06/03/15 by Michael Garren (Madison, WI)

HW: 373 SW: 316 GW: 150 LW: 138 CW: 163

Lucy1973
on 7/26/17 11:06 pm

Hi Catwoman, thanks for your reply.

Wow, 1700. I have diffilculties getting the 1500 in. But it's good to know the advices are quite the same.

Queen JB
on 7/27/17 3:17 am
RNY on 07/20/15

Everyone's body sizes and metabolisms are different, so there isn't a set amount that works for everyone. I am 4'11" and maintaining my weight at around 117lbs.

I eat about 900-1100 calories a day to stay at that weight. I need to eat fewer than 700 for a few days to lose, and if I eat more than 1200, I gain. But that is what works for me...

The best way to find out is to try restricting your calories and see if you start losing.

Also a lot of nutrition centers encourage people to eat whole grains, oatmeal and fruit for a "balanced diet". However, many of us here have found that if we eat foods with high carbohydrates, our weight loss stalls. You may also want to try cutting out all of those carbs for a week. High Protein/Low Carb almost always jump starts weight loss.

• High Weight before LapBand: 200 (2008)
  • High Weight before RNY: 160 (2015)
  • Lowest post-op weight: 110 (2016)
  • Maintenance Weight: 120 (2017-2019)
  • Battling Regain Weight: 135 (current)

Lucy1973
on 7/27/17 5:36 am

Hi Juniper,

Thank you so much! I keep asking myself why my dietician has one list for a group of 8 people. They expect us all to eat the same and lose the same. But you're right. It doesn't work that way!

Thanks, I will certainly look at my calories!

Daisydoo02
on 7/27/17 3:44 am - GTA, Ontario, Canada
RNY on 11/15/13

Personally I think you are eating way to many calories for weight loss. I know you are about 17-18 months out from surgery but to kick start the weight loss again I would go much lower calories and high protein, low low carb and drink tons of low or no calorie liquids.

I am 5'5". I am almost 4 years post op RNY. I am very very carb sensitive. I can only eat 900-1000 calories a day to maintain my weight (125-130 lbs). If I go over 1000 - 1100 calories I gain weight. If I eat carbs like bread, crackers, cookies, I gain weight. If I want to lose a few pounds I have to eat less than 900 calories a day. It sucks but that's how it is for me.

You are welcome to check out the "What's on your Menu today RNYers?" to get an idea of what people are eating at different stages of surgery and calorie counts.

Best of luck!

Daisy 5'5" HW: 290 SW: 254 CW: 120

Nov 15, 2013: RNY - Toronto Western Hospital, Nov 2, 2017: Gallbladder removal & hernia repair

Sept 7, 2023: three +1 hernia's repaired in bowel

10+ years post op, living & loving life!

Lucy1973
on 7/27/17 5:33 am

Hi Daisydoo!

Thanks for your answer. Right after the operation I was eating about 800-900 calories a day. When I stopped losing weight and went back they told me I wasn't eating enough, that's what was causing the problem. So I took my nutrition list and added everything they told me to eat in My Fitness Pal. It was about 1200 calories. They told me to increase my calories up to 1200, and even better to 1500 calories. So I started eating 1200-1300 calories a day and I didn't lose wait anyway. Thank God I also didn't gain wait.

Now, after 18 month after surgery I'm lost and don't now what to do anymore, since I really need to lose a 15 kilograms.

I eat very limited carbs, because I have fibromyalgia, and carbs make it worse. So I stay high on protein and limit carbs. And I make sure I eat enough fat.

Thanks for the tip of the menu of RNYers, will take a look. And I will try to lower my calories, see what that does.

H.A.L.A B.
on 7/27/17 4:20 am

The question is : are you losing - gaining or maintaining at that calorie level?

Plus .. Not all calories are the same. I can eat that much and lose weight if I eat a very low carb diet from not processed foods. Like meat, fish, eggs and non starchy veggies.

But if I eat the same amount of calories but include protein shakes, protein bars, and carby foods like bread and chips - I'll gain weight.

Let us more about you - where are you in the weight loss?

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Lucy1973
on 7/27/17 5:25 am

Hi, thanks for your reply. I stopped losing weight within 8 weeks after surgery, while I was following the nutricion list the hospital dietician gave me. Did this for 6 months, because I wanted to be absolutely sure I was doing it right. And I did weightlifting 4 times a week. Nothing happend.

After 6 months I was called in for a x-ray, which showed nothing special. Everything looked fine and the basicly told me I had to accepted my body was done with losing weight. (My bypass was a redo operation to remove my non-functioning lapband).

Before redo operation I was 97 kilo, went to 90 in 8 weeks and have been stuck there sinds March 2016. The churgeon told me that in 10% of the patients who have a redo operation it happens that they lose weight slower or less then patients who have the bypass right away.

babsinga
on 7/27/17 7:17 am
RNY on 07/11/17

HI Lucy,

Hoe gaat het met jou? Ik ben Amerikaanse maar Ik heb in Nederlands gewooned voor tien jaaren. Ik sprek en klein beetje Nederlands!

So now in English!

Revisions can lose slower but I had a lapband in 2003 that slipped, gastric sleeve in 2008 and now a RNY because I had chronic GERD. I am two weeks out and down 13 pounds or about 6 kilos already. There is no way that I would have a RNY to lose 6 or 7 kilos. I plan on eating only protein, very limited carbs for the next year until I get ALL the weight off. There is a window of maximum opportunity with weight loss surgery, but with the small pouch you have, you can modify your diet and start again anytime you like.

Some people are just more metabolically challenged than others.

Also, what your doctor said really doesn't make sense. Although you were a revision from lapband to RNY, the lapband is not malabsorptive but only restrictive. I don't know what BMI you started with the lapband but 90 kilos is nearly 200 pounds. Not sure why you can't lose with a RNY

I think you should eat less and more protein. If you could give us an idea of what your food intake looks like, maybe we could be more helpful.

Babs in GA

HW 348 Revision SW 224 GW 165 CW 148

Revision from sleeve to RNY

Pre op: -5 M1-12 lbs M2 11 lb M3-5lb M4 -9lb M5 -2 M6-6 M7-7 M8 -4 M9-5 M10 -2 M11 -2

200 lbs lost and 17 pounds below goal !

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 50 replies · 514 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 473 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 424 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 46 replies · 427 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 300 views