2 weeks until surgery

minaque2
on 8/9/17 5:54 am

Yesterday I got final approval from the insurance company. My surgery is scheduled for 8/23. I ate my last carbs yesterday. Today is my last coffee. The next week will be meat, vegetables, water and protein shakes, then the week before surgery will be 80% liquids except the 48 hours before surgery which will be all liquids. I am so glad I do not have to do 2 full weeks of liquids.

I'm starting to get the worries. What if I can't do this? What if there are complications? Blah, blah, blah.. I know it's normal, everyone seems to have come out the other side wishing they had done it sooner.

I worry about my psychiatric meds not working properly after surgery. I still have a million questions but I have 1 more appointment with the nurse practitioner before surgery. I am starting to make a list so I won't forget. I'm also going to bring all my meds in so she can see the sizes. I am unsure as to what I can swallow and what I cannot.

I'm just rambling here. Feeling very alone, scared, excited and just unsettled.

I am trying to think ahead to a year from now when I might be able to get on an amusement ride with my son or hike a mountain with my family.

I've been fat for 42 years. I feel like I am entering the twilight Zone.

karenp8
on 8/9/17 6:40 am - Brighton, IL

I love your comparison to the Twilight Zone--it's really very true. Worries are completely normal heading into a major life change like this. You aren't alone first off--we are all here rooting you on. It all boils down to how much you want that amusement park ride or hike with your family. You'll have the tool--a new smaller pouch but you have to make the good choices that get you that roller coaster ride you want. You have the tool and the future is in your hands. I went from a diabetic mess with high cholesterol and triglycerides and out of control blood pressure who weighed 273 pounds to a thin healthy 57 year old who weighs 118 to 120 at almost 5 years post op. I lost my weight in 9 months and have been the same weight ever since. I weigh and measure and journal my food and weigh myself every day. All my comorbidities are gone now and I have done so many things my 273 pounds self could never have imagined. I no longer wonder if a chair will hold my weight or I can fit in a booth when we eat out. I continue to do the work of making good choices and exercising every day because I refuse to go back to where I was. It's not always easy--I'm a food addict for sure and sweets call out to me daily--but my healthy life is so great it makes it all worth it. If I can go from a lifetime--52 years--of obesity to a healthy life you can too. Get ready for an exciting journey. Before and after to follow.

minaque2
on 8/9/17 9:57 am

Thank You Karen you are beautiful and inspiring!

FluffyChix
on 8/9/17 10:05 am

Holy smokes, chica! You look amazing and are so inspiring!!!

Lishamc1
on 8/9/17 8:03 pm

How long after surgery were you off diabetic medications?

Emiepie
on 8/9/17 6:50 am
RNY on 08/11/14

Good Morning! As you said it's normal to have fears and I know I did. For me, the last few weeks before surgery I just tried to stay as busy as possible so I wouldn't have as much time to think about it. If you have a hobby you enjoy-now might be a good time to ramp it up a little. Hope you have a great day.

RNY 8/11/14 with Dr. Kelvin Higa PS Lipectomy 4/12/17 with Dr. John Burnett HW291.4/CW165/GW150

Sylvia G.
on 8/9/17 8:19 am
RNY on 07/26/17

Hello and good luck! I am 2 weeks (today!) post-op. It all really hit me 2 weeks pre-op. But today I am so happy I did it!

I agree with what Emiepie suggests, keep yourself busy! I cleaned my house like it's never been cleaned!

Organized drawers, worked in my yard, shopped with my daughters...anything to keep my mind occupied.

Please don't feel alone, every person here has been in similar "shoes" You are not alone. Just a couple of click on your keyboard and you have access to many kind and supportive people. This site is great!

I'm sure you'll do great!

Take care

minaque2
on 8/9/17 9:58 am

It's good to hear you are already happy you did it. Thank you and best wishes!

FluffyChix
on 8/9/17 10:06 am

Congrats! I think Tom Petty said it best when he wrote, "The Waiting Is The Hardest Part." It'll be here before you know it and you will be a star!

Librarian67
on 8/9/17 10:16 am
RNY on 02/28/17

Congrats on your surgery date! It is totally normal to feel nervous as the date gets closer. I did alot of cleaning and organizing in the days before surgery since I knew that I'd be limited in the weeks after surgery.

As for the meds, I had to do some negotiation around my oral meds initially, but your NP should be able to help with that. Maybe take the pills with you to your appointment and be sure to ask whether they can be cut or crushed safely. I found that some of mine could and others couldn't.

Hang in there and know that in a few weeks you too will be on the loser's bench and dealing with a whole new way of life.

HW: 248+, SW (RNY: 2/28/17): 244, GW (10/17): 125; LW: 115; 45# regain (19-20); CW: 135.6; new goal: 135; Plastics: Ext mastopexy, Ext abdominoplasty-5/18/2018; diagnosed w/ gastroparesis 11/20.

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 540 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 525 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 413 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 288 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 127 views
Recent Topics