Blood sugar issue?

SkinnyScientist
on 8/21/17 5:29 am

Hi Guys,

Writing for your opinion on a medical problem.

I eat low carb and I take 500 mg metformin for Polycystic ovary syndrome.

Saturday-I had an egg sandwich for breakfast. Went on an easy 3 mile hike up a not so steep mountain. I did NOT eat a snack (I normally do) I burned 585 calories according to the fitbit. Then I went grocery shopping. By this time it was 2 pm and I was unloading the groceries and was thinking that I should eat some lunch soon. I was not shakey...I was grouchy and head-achey though.

Around 2 pm on Saturday, while unpacking groceries, I passed out and I stayed passed out until my Sunday dinner guest found me at 7 pm (Like I was out from 2pm saturday to 7 pm sunday). He thought I was drunk because my words were slurred, I had a headache so bad I cried, and need the wall to supportme/hold me up. My legs, feet, hands also turned cold and purple grey...like I was losing circulation.

He was a parmedic and smelled my breath and realized it smelled sweet, not alcohol and realized it was a blood sugar thing. He made up glasses of sugar water and my speech and consciousness improved.

It has been about 12 hours since he found me. I have eaten, slept, and eaten some more but I still feel "out of it". I feel shakey, weak, dizzy,and things seem really far away. I still got this pounding headache.

My endocrinologist is out for the week.

My questions are-1) is this a diabetic episode 2) can I expect more of these unexpected episodes 3) should I start eating more carbs and 4) am I in immediate danger?

RNY Surgery: 12/31/2013; 

Current weight (2/27/2015) 139lbs, ~14% body fat

Three pounds below Goal!!! Yay !  

catwoman7
on 8/21/17 5:50 am
RNY on 06/03/15

I'm not diabetic, but my cousin is (insulin-dependent). This happened to her in January - and in her case, yes, it was due to her diabetes. The hospital thought she hadn't taken her insulin, since that's when stuff like this usually happens, but she'd been taking it like clockwork. I'm not sure if they even figured out what wonked things up.

RNY 06/03/15 by Michael Garren (Madison, WI)

HW: 373 SW: 316 GW: 150 LW: 138 CW: 163

Grim_Traveller
on 8/21/17 5:59 am
RNY on 08/21/12

It seems like your blood sugar bottomed out, because you hadn't eaten for so long, combined with the activity.

Talk to your doctor. But I don't think you are in danger, immediate or otherwise. Controlling your eating doesn't always mean less -- in this case, you needed more.

If I go past three hours without eating, I start to feel it. If I had waited as long as you, I might have had the same reaction.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

NYMom222
on 8/21/17 6:16 am
RNY on 07/23/14

Definitely sounds like a hypoglycemic episode, but being out that long is scary. There are two types of Hypoglycemic episodes you can get - the kind you had where you go too long without eating, and Reactive Hypoglycemia where you 'react' and bottom out several hours later from eating too much simple sugar/carbs. I have had both since WLS.

I think the main thing is to put yourself on a timer for eating right now ...honestly with such an extreme episode...I would want to see a Doc or at least talk to someone. Is someone covering for your endocrinologist? Maybe your Metformin dosage needs to be adjusted. I am sure part of it was exacerbated by the fact that you take an insulin lowering medication... also they might want you checking your blood sugars.

You are not in immediate danger as you are now conscious and eating and breathing... but you were in danger during that episode. Again I would let your Doc's office know what happened even if the Doc is away.

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

(deactivated member)
on 8/21/17 6:27 am
RNY on 11/22/16

I have PCOS too. I have not taken metformin since my RNY. Do you think you still need it??

betterlifeforme
on 8/21/17 6:46 am
RNY on 07/26/17

I also have PCOS and don't take the metformin anymore. I was told that it will go away as the weight comes off.

SkinnyScientist
on 8/21/17 7:23 am

HI! My endo HAD taken me off of it but then my testosterone started to get too high. So I am back on it.

(deactivated member)
on 8/21/17 3:56 pm
RNY on 11/22/16

Have you considered spirolactone to lower testerone??

FluffyChix
on 8/21/17 7:24 am

Dayum, call your PCP, don't wait for the endo to return. I wouldn't think you're in danger right now, but 12 hours passed out needs to be reviewed as soon as you can, cuz your bloodwork may still give them a clue about where you are right now. ((Gosh how scary!!! Hugs!))

SkinnyScientist
on 8/21/17 7:25 am

Update: Still feeling weird at work, so I went to the health unit. My blood sugar is too low for what and when I ate. My blood pressure is also elevated. The health unit called my doctor and called a friend to take me to the doctor because in the nurse practioniers opinion, I am NOT ok to drive even though I am demonstrating normal balance.

Hopefully, I will get some answers

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 532 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 514 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 393 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?