Weirdest thing happened to me yesterday

mirandaF
on 8/31/17 12:56 am
RNY on 08/07/17

Husband and I went to the store around midnight to pick up a few things of powerade zero, some yogurt, cottage cheese, and some stuff for him. Probably spent around 10-15 min walking. Came up to the front of store and had to stand in line. While I was standing in line it was like I had a drain in me.. my right leg felt like it had warm water run down it, yet my arms/hands were turning red/purple. My husband said my face was white as a ghost, I was getting dizzy and confused and he said when he touched my hands they were clammy and cold. Finally got out of the store, and home and we called after hours to my bariactric center.

Dr. on call said to my husband to take me to the ER. Well, by the time I got to the ER, my BP was 186/110. They had me do a urine test and they took blood. I wasn't in pain, and my arms/hands were already back to their normal color and warm. My tests came back just fine. I wasn't showing dehydration, I wasn't showing infection, or UTI. They have no idea why this happened. And for the life of me I can't figure it out either.

This has happened multiple times now to me. I start to get dizzy, and like my energy just drains out of me as though I've sprung a leak. My arms turn a reddish purple, they get cold and clammy and I turn white as a ghost. I have no clue what may be going on. I thought perhaps I was dehydrated but apparently I was not.

Not even sure if I should call my Bariactric center during normal hours and talk about this or just chalk it up to weird issues.

Grim_Traveller
on 8/31/17 3:57 am
RNY on 08/21/12

If it happens again, see if you can check your blood pressure while it is still going on. It sounds like a pretty bad case of orthostatic hypotension -- low blood pressure. If you have access to a BP machine it would be easy to rule out.

Drinking more will help with dizziness, regardless.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

H.A.L.A B.
on 8/31/17 5:53 am

That is not good. Specially the discoloration on your extremities. That definitely indicates problem with circulation and oxygen levels.

Not sure why but I heard about POTS syndrome recently. It can cause some of the symptoms you are experiencing.

https://myheart.net/pots-syndrome/

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Emiepie
on 8/31/17 6:12 am
RNY on 08/11/14

Yikes, sounds super scary. I would follow up with your center so maybe they can run some further tests to make sure there isn't an underlying problem. Hope you don't have any more issues like it.

RNY 8/11/14 with Dr. Kelvin Higa PS Lipectomy 4/12/17 with Dr. John Burnett HW291.4/CW165/GW150

Lishamc1
on 8/31/17 9:02 am

This happens to me frequently and I haven't had the surgery yet. When it happened to me last time I checked my blood pressure and it was 98/86, I always sit down try to relax until I feel ok and then get back up.

CerealKiller Kat71
on 8/31/17 9:17 am
RNY on 12/31/13

This sounds like syncope, autonomic dysfunction of some sort (which causes orthostatic hypotension), or heart issues.

I would not ignore this and demand a work-up by either your bariatric team or internist.

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

2bthereagain
on 8/31/17 2:37 pm

Did they rule out blood clot?

mirandaF
on 8/31/17 4:41 pm
RNY on 08/07/17

They didn't check for blood clots, but honestly I don't have any symptoms. No warmth to touch and no pain. I don't have a hard time breathing until I feel like the breaths I do take just are not enough. Normally not until the energy starts to fade out like a drain. This issue only occurs after I am walking around for awhile to. However, when I was at the hospital they took my BP laying down, sitting up, and standing up. it went up around 8-10 pts between each time except the bottom number it stayed 96.

So I'm not sure if this means I just didn't stay standing long enough or if I need to walk around before these episodes happen. I'm going to try and get ahold of my main Dr. and see what they have to say.

NYMom222
on 8/31/17 7:27 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

Are you on Blood Pressure medication?

Also had you eaten recently?

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

mirandaF
on 9/1/17 9:16 pm
RNY on 08/07/17

I was before surgery but told to stay off since. And I had some food that day, although I'm still having issues getting calories up to 350.

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 413 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 360 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 419 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 406 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 6 replies · 26 views
Recent Topics