Beginner's Running Group-NoVA/DMV area

SkinnyScientist
on 9/29/17 7:38 am

HI Gang,

This will be a cross post.

If you live in the NoVa or DMV area and want to take up running, there is a new Meetup.com group called BEGINNER RUNNER LADIES OF NOVA.

They are having their first practice run at Aurora HIlls Branch library. It is free to join the group. From what I understand, it will be run/walking.

"where we'll run together. We will be running/walking 3 miles, but if that's too long for you, you're welcome to join us for less!"

Arlington Practice Run

Aurora Hills Branch Library I will be there if you want a friend/companion to talk to (I hate going places alone myself!). Best wishes! -SS

RNY Surgery: 12/31/2013; 

Current weight (2/27/2015) 139lbs, ~14% body fat

Three pounds below Goal!!! Yay !  

Librarian67
on 9/29/17 10:44 am
RNY on 02/28/17

I wish I were a little closer. I'm in MD so it is too far to come, but sounds fun!

HW: 248+, SW (RNY: 2/28/17): 244, GW (10/17): 125; LW: 115; 45# regain (19-20); CW: 135.6; new goal: 135; Plastics: Ext mastopexy, Ext abdominoplasty-5/18/2018; diagnosed w/ gastroparesis 11/20.

Bonroxie19
on 9/29/17 9:07 pm

so wish you were all closer would love to join,

Bonnie RNY 2/11/15 by Dr. Takahaski

5'3" SW 230 pounds, GW per Dr. Takahaski 150 pounds, CW 132 pounds (10/1/17)

BMI 19% Bod Pod test 1/29/17 13.1 mile half marathon, 1 hour 59 mins (8/21/2017)

SkinnyScientist
on 9/30/17 2:47 am, edited 9/29/17 7:48 pm

Wish you were here too!

As a turtle-I am always stuck by myself at Joggers and Lagers (speed demons running for the beer!) ..and at Pacers. Usually, around mile 3, I remind myself that I spent 2 hours driving in, in DC traffic, paying for parking to run alone which I could do with NO stress and free of cost (cuz I train into work) at my home or work.

THE ONLY group that has really worked for me running/pace wise is Jeff Galloway's run/walkers. I really like that program and don't mind paying a hundred bucks for it. The pace groups go from 8:00-14:00. I was in the 14:00. The people were interesting, fun to talk with, encouraging and took care of each other out on the trail. The pace group leaders were nice, demonstrated leadership, and when someone was injured would stay with them and ride with them in Uber's back to the car or help. THey had snacks and support at several locations on the route.

So-when this chick posts "slow" I really hope she isn't a (9:00) thinking that 11:15 is slow. Because 11:15 is ME SPRINTING a mile.

Anyway, I did my first long run of pre-training for my 3rd attempt at my FIRST marathon. I am just getting back into the swing of things from IT band injury and then chopping my finger half off (they didnt want me runnign or skating or hiking cuz if I fell and tried to catch myself, I could have undone that surgery). It was 6 miles. As usual, miles 2-3 really sucked but 4-6 was awesome. I was thinking about going for 8 miles at the end but remembered the last time I did follow directions, over-did things, and ended up with IT band problems.

I also ran/walked that 6 miles but movement is good, it felt good after those first two miles (like tae bo good)...and instead of listening to the same weary songs over and over on my mp3 player I now listen to podcasts about ghosts/the paranormal or "Sex with Emily" (because someday I am going to get some!). :) It is entertaining. Almost like having a running group...but they didn't talk about THAT!

Hey! Have you tried Hoka One Ones? They are made for ultra marathoners and are ultra cushioned. I read they are good for IT band injuries so I got TWO pairs. I got the Claytons and they look so clunky but when you get them on, THEY ARE SO LIGHT...like lighter than my Wave Rider 20s. And I love my Wave Rider 18s and 20s (19 was a bust...too stiff). Best yet the Claytons FEEL LIKE SLIPPERS. There is just this cushy feeling that surrounds your feet all the way up the arches (it is like your foot is sitting in a bucket seat in a sports car vs a bench seat of a truck.

I also bought the Hokas Stinson 3 ATRs- wearing them at hiking fast paced hiking group (I am a slow runner fast walker...got figure). So I will break them in today. Those will be my trail shoes.

So my training shoes for this attempt at my first marathon are Hoka claytons (long runs), Wave Rider 20s (shorter 3 mile runs), and Stinson 3 atrs -when I want to get off the pavement for ANY run cuz I am sick of urban/suburban-ness.

So are you still running?

RNY Surgery: 12/31/2013; 

Current weight (2/27/2015) 139lbs, ~14% body fat

Three pounds below Goal!!! Yay !  

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 409 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 351 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 419 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?