Heat Exhaustion Prevention - Need ideas

ladylost2
on 9/30/17 5:46 am
RNY on 10/02/17

My surgery is on Monday and then Saturday, unless I am physically unable to move, I am going to a football game, because... football! Anyway, at last week's game it was 95 degrees and I drank 4 liters of water in about 3 hours and was still feeling the heat by the end of the game.

Does anyone have some tips to stay cool and hydrated in the heat during the liquids phase? If I need to, will I be able to drink more water or do I need to hide in shade and watch the game on TV?

White Dove
on 9/30/17 6:38 am - Warren, OH

You just have to sip constantly. If you are going to be in the hot sun, might consider a camelback.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

ScottAndrews
on 9/30/17 10:50 am
RNY on 03/20/17

If you're sweating like last time you're gonna be in trouble. You won't be able to chug water for a while. It's hard enough to drink the minimum 64oz for those first couple of weeks.

Lina_Ann
on 9/30/17 4:36 pm

I think it would be irresponsible to put yourself in that situation so early out of surgery. You will not be able to keep up your hydration in that heat so early on. PLEASE reconsider your decision. You are just asking for an ambulance ride to the ER. If you insist, wear light coloured clothes and hat, sunscreen, and enough water. Also don't eat anything that will dehydrate you even more.

I am am cringing and praying you do not go.

Referral: June 2017
RNY with Dr. Neville in Ottawa: January 8th, 2018

Insert Fitness
on 10/1/17 4:37 am

I went to a 5 day music festival a week post op. Granted it wasn't as hot, though.

I was fine, but was pretty tired by the end of each night. I emailed the organizers to get the ok to bring in unopened premier protein shakes. So I had the confirmation on my phone in case it was questioned at the gates.

I would suggest making sure the people you're with understand you might need frequent breaks, if there's a lot of walking etc. Just manage expectations in advance.

Id also suggest bringing one or two of those little packets of electrolyte replenishers you can add to water. You can find them at health and vitamin shops.

listen to your body. And sip, sip, sip!

congrats on your upcoming surgery!

RNY Sept 8, 2016

M1:23, M2 :18, M3 :11, M4 :19, M5: 13, M6: 12, M7: 17, M8: 11, M9: 11.5, M10: 13, M11: 10, M12: 10 M13 : 7.6, M14: 6.9, M15: 6.7

Instagram:InsertFitness

CC C.
on 10/1/17 9:43 am

Dehydration is not only a reflection of what you have had to drink today, but even moreso a reflection of what you've been drinking in the days before. Given the difficulty in getting hydrated the week after surgery, sitting in the heat and sun less than a week out is concerning. Not only because you will struggle to get your water that day, but because you will likely be depleted from struggling to get enough the several days before.

I love football, but be smart and maybe sit this one out at home?

Kathy1212
on 10/1/17 10:14 am

I vote for watching the game on TV, unless you feel fine enough to move around and it's a cooler day where heat exhaustion won't be a problem.

I suffered from heat exhaustion at 5 months post op because I did a long bike ride and it was hotter than I expected and I couldn't drink fast enough to keep up with my hydration needs. I felt absolutely awful and almost passed out. I had to sit in the shade for an hour, constantly sipping Gatorade G2 and water, before I could get up and move again, and as soon as I did, I felt dizzy and nauseated again. I was lucky to be near Lake Superior so I sat in the lake and cooled off nicely, but still had to take it easy for the rest of the day, and constantly drink.

Good luck with your surgery. Post op, your body will tell you what it needs. Just listen to it and you'll be fine.

Pre-Op Visit: Jan. 10, 2017, weight 304, surgeon: Dr. David Lindsay, St. Joe's, Toronto

1st Day of (3 weeks worth of) Optifast: Jan. 11, 2017

Surgery Date: Feb. 1st, 2017

Kathy  

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 465 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 436 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 278 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 17 replies · 323 views